Saturn Sky Forum banner

Trailer Hitch

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JimElvis 
#1 ·
Hey Kids!

I am about to take my first vacation in my Sky. My wife is beautiful,but she also has seven hundred pairs of shoes. So packing is well you know what it is.
Having gone to Canada for ten days in my Toyota Spyder proved to be an exercise in Architectural Engineering. I ended up leaving the spare tire at home and praying to St.Jude every time we passed a car with a flat tire. With the Sky that will not be a concern because it has no spare,great one less thing to worry about. So I have decide to put a call out for advice or help. Which hitch is best to put on this car temporarily to put one of those "We are Going RV'ing baskets" I know i may have to lower the muffler with one of these but if there is one that is easier to pop on I would like to know about it's existence. Even better would be someone in the Gatlinburg area to receive my Fed-x shipment of Imelda Marcos shoe and clothing collection. And yes like her my wife is a fillipino. Seems women from this island have a fear of running out of shoes.

Thanks for any help and no i can't get rid of the wife.

#3 ·
I just installed the Curt 111140 hitch (RL version... NA is a different model).
Install went okay, but you def need two people. And be careful not to pop the bolts back into your frame after you thread them through. Takes some delicate maneuvering at times.
The drivers side tailpipe clanked against the vertical bracket when taking bumpy turns, so I had to bust out the grinder and shave away some material. Then I got the Tow Ready 65855 for the cargo rack. Works fine and is small enough that it looks 'okay' on the back of the Sky.
Planning some big road trips this summer, so I ALSO got the kappaRACK that garyv350 mentioned. Took a few weeks to get delivered (outa stock), not sure if they're all restocked now, but just to let you know. Anyway, it works/looks fine. Ready to hit the road! But my wife only has a couple pair of shoes. :lol:
Good luck!

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
My option to limited space

The space issue is definitely a limiting factor. When we got our SKY last November, I realized when I saw the motorcycle trailer for sale, it was something that would probably be needed. I'll attach a picture. The clam shell top has not been painted to match our SKY, but will see how much we use the trailer before we do that painting. I did recondition and paint the trailer base, and have brand new tires.

We bought the Curt hitch for our non-RL (yes, the hitch is a different design for the RL to accommodate the driver side exhaust), and it went on with no problems. Easy to do, but you do need a long extension socket arrangement.

Plans are to head into the Four Corners of SW Colorado end of this month. The clam shell even will hold my golf clubs, but that was not the original intent of the trailer .... :lol:.

(although this is my first attempt at attaching pictures, I hope they show)

#6 ·
picture attempt

have noted the picture size limits, and have downsized the photos, but will give it one more attempt to posting. without the pictures my reply doesn't have much benefit.

the downsized photos to about 150k won't upload, not even just one of the three pictures, SO no pictures yet. process looks straight forward, but does not upload. :banghead:

#8 ·
11-26-2007, 01:57 PM to 05-19-2012, 07:58 PM…that be years of experience talking!!! :cheers:

#10 ·
:rofl::glol::rofl: I was talking about the number of years the thread has been up and running. :lol:

#13 ·
Say is there any trailer hitch that does not require drilling. I don't mind lowering the muffler,but to actually drill holes in the body smacks of cannibalism to me.
Depends on your car. Some (most?) come with 4 holes in the frame ready for hitch mounting (mine did, no drilling for me!) Some however, apparently only have two of the holes (one each side) and would need you to "make" the other two.

Read through that thread that Rob posted. All you need to know right there.

#14 ·
If anyone in or near Phoenix is looking for a Redline hitch, I have a new Curt hitch. I can't install it with my Magnaflow exhaust, or I'm not looking at it right.
$150 if you pick it up or if you live near where I'll be driving by.

#15 ·
Jim, have you looked at just cutting away a little of the hitch to allow clearance? Curt probably will say their warranty no longer covers, but it shouldn't compromise the hitch that much ??? should it?

I'm planning that on my non-RL hitch to allow clearance for the left side RL exhaust addition. It will just make my hitch the same structural quality as your RL model. The warranty coverage should not become an issue with my 200 pound total weight plus contents in the clam shell trailer.

#17 ·
I'm all for removing that material if needed, but in my opinion, take it to someone or a shop with a mig welder, or a fabricator or machine shop, etc. For under $50, they'll take a piece of sheet metal, trim it, and weld it around the notch. It'll be just as strong as it was intended to be. And with what you've got to lose, I think it's cheap insurance. Just my:jm2c:

But maybe I'm biased considering I have my own Miller industrial grade MIG and TIG welders and plasma cutter.:leaving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.