Saturn Sky Forum banner

Can't Decide on a Turbo Upgrade

13K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  A14 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm having trouble deciding on a turbo upgrade and would like to get a little input from you knowledgeable folks. My choices are:

1) DDMWorks GT2871 Upgrade - DDMWorks GT2871 Turbo Upgrade

I like the price and ease of this upgrade and have heard good things.

2) Werks WR-3 Upgrade - The Home of WERKSracing products!

A bit more pricey but more power and still an easy upgrade. More lag though? I've never heard anybody talk about this one.

3) Werks 6758 EFR Kit - The Home of WERKSracing products!

Expensive and additional upgrades required, but lots of power with little lag, scaleable, and I've heard great things.

I'm currently running E-85 with a Terminator2 custom tune, Hahn IC, DDM IC pipes, Solo HF cat, 3" Magnaflow exhaust, and K&N drop in filter. I'd like to get around 400whp.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

See less See more
#5 ·
Option 1 will but with E47

No fueling issues, and almost the exact amount of HP.

It's been found that a E47 is a better choice on our cars vs straight E85

If you go this route, just make sure you add the E85 seals to your fuel injectors.

#7 ·
I didn't even notice you started the thread.

It's been one of those days.

Between me, Miller, DDM Dave, Terminator and 40rty
You have alot of people who really like their 2871
and
have had zero issues with it
[Mine has 18months of use]

On meth or E47, it's like a Raped Ape

not that I condone the raping of Apes

But if I did, it would be with a 2871 Turbo'd sky
:jester:

#9 ·
Yes

With the LNF being direct injection, the fuel is not sprayed over the intake valves.
The rest of the system shares parts with the Flex fuel HHR. As such, GM does not sell E85 resistant Valve seals.

The only time you might remotely want to consider those, is if you add a 5th injector, but so far, that has not been an issue for the guys running that either.

#10 ·
I highly recommend E-47 over E-85 for fueling. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I raced my GXP Coupe on it all last year and it ran strong all season long!

We have some new EFR bolt on turbocharger solutions in the WERKS, contact me for details on these ;)

#11 ·
One of the things I like about the WR-3 over the 2871 is that it has a BPV instead of having to install an external BOV. My understanding is that our MAF doesn't always get along well with BOVs, and BPVs tend to be more efficient and keep the turbo spooled. I'm not super knowledgeable about the inner workings of turbos so I may be wrong.

On a side note, is there any way to approximately determine turbo lag, say, based on the sizes of the compressor and turbine?

#17 ·
It's simple if you have an E85 gas station close by.
You just put in equal amounts of both.
The only inconvenience is that you need to swipe your credit card twice.

Out tanks taks almost 13 gallons.
So most of the time I put in 6 gallons of each. [93 Octane and E85]

If I am going on a long trip and am unsure if there will be E85, I bring my laptop and use HPTuners to flip to a 93 Octane tune if needed.

#19 ·
Interesting calculator.
The bottom calculator says "Trying to replace premium gas in a non-flexfuel vehicle?"
What effect or issues will we have using this mixture in our non-flexfuel Skys? It shows using E85 and regular gas will get 96 octane. That would be cheaper than using premium gas. But are there any problems with rubber hoses, etc?

#22 ·
E85 ends up being more expensive as it is not as efficient as a fuel source.

While you end up paying less per gallon, you get less miles per tank with E85 and E47 and in the long run spend more.

With E47, its barely noticeable and thus worth the extra HP you can get due to it's additional resistance to detonation

#33 ·
I don't see that being the case.
The 6258 has the same power as the 2871. It just gets there slightly different and has the built in BPV so no need for the BOV. The Billet parts makes it spool quick but it maxes at 44lbs/min of airflow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.