Saturn Sky Forum banner

Performance Time!

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave witman 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 07 Sky 2.4L Now that I have 3 Payments left i have decided to beef her up some.

I have a CAI, but thats more sound than anything else. I was reading someone say the Stock Exausht doesnt hurt performance and I can get increased HP by just adding a HI-Flow Cat converter and headers.

Is this true? Also I read that the Chip (leaning trifecta) is the last thing I should get once all my mods are in place to get the best results.

Final question, which order? I was thinking Headers -> Cat -> Chip???

thanks in advance

#3 ·
So is it safe to say just save my $$$ ? I thought the cat, headers and tune would give me a noticable boost over stock

#5 ·
I agree with elff. You will be spending a ton of cash for next to no hp gain. All bolt ons and a tune for the 2.4L equate to some mid range pickup, but next to zero peak hp gain. Also the mid range bump is barely noticeable.

I would either go with a DDM Stage 3 SC or perhaps a turbo kit.

#8 ·
Stock 2.4L's put about 145hp to the wheels on our dyno. If you do long tube headers, full exhaust, high flow cat, intake and tune you might hit 160hp at the wheels, but usually we see high 150's. For the price of all of that you could have a pretty good start on forced induction and make a lot more power at the wheels. Then is just comes down to if you like the feel of the supercharger or the turbo ;)

#9 ·
In my experience, the SC stage 2 or stage 3 is the way to go. The stage 2 is easily upgradable to stage 3 in the future, an easy bolt on, very reliable, matches the performence of a GXP overall, has tons of low end power where you need it on the street vrs mid range and top range for the turbo.

Also there are a lot of stage 2 & 3 kits in the field so there is a lot of positive experience with them.

It is also very possible you can pick up a refurbished SC kit from Dave. My recommendation is talk with DDM doctor Dave and see what is available.

#11 ·
lol you guys have done it again! You swung me, i am now scrapping original plans and saving for a DDMWorks SC.

New question is should I start with Stage 1 (which looks easier to install, and cheaper so i can get it quicker) or just save up for the stage 2?

Also are all these guys getting the SC kit installing it themselves? Is it something a novice can pull off?

#14 ·
While the stage 1 is a nice setup, everyone that I know that started with it very soon wanted the stage 2 level of power. It is a great improvement and good bang for the buck, but it will not keep up with a turbo car. It will blow away an NA but most people end up running with turbo cars and the lust for equality prevails.

I recommend to people who ask that they go with the stage 2 and you will be more likely to live with it for a while before going to stage 3. :mad::eek::cheers::D

#12 ·
I'd save up the extra $800 for the stage 2.

It's not that much harder than installing tribal flames, so you should be OK.

The main difference is the intercooler. If you are comfortable removing the bumper, then no worries

#13 ·
Even though the bumper does not need to come off to install the intercooler for the supercharger, FYI.

We have had most of the supercharger kits installed by the owners of the cars and they range in age from 17 to 70+ years in age. Most of them start on a Saturday morning and are up and running that evening, some take their time a little and are done on Sunday.

If you know what a torque wrench is, know how to change your oil, I would say you will be fine doing the install.

Hope that helps,
Dave

#20 ·
Come on over. :)

I'll help you install it :)
For sure go with the stage 2. The inner cooler adds between 35-45 HP. I have probably 60K on my Stage 2 and have done everything you can think about doing to it. Its the only way to go. I have all my torque at 2400 RPMs.
I love mine :)

#21 ·
HI. My name is Dave. I own a 2007 Sky Redline. I had extensive work done to my engine. ONe of the things I had a problem with was the rocker arms and lifters. I ordered them from Bates Engineering. AFter we put them in, I had 100 miles on the engine and the center bearing started to cut into the side of the rocker arm. Four on the exhaust side, and three on the intake side. I had called Bates Engineering to find out what the problem was. I never recieved a call back, so I really don't know what the problem was. I corrected the problem by putting stock rocker arms and lifters back in the motor, and it runs well now. Thanks, Dave. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Or does anyone have a solution? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.