2016 Fiat 124 Spider...a Turbo Miata "New" Sky? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Roadster/Small RWD Market/Other Vehicle General Discussion Discussion about owning, loving, lusting, or coveting roadsters and other small RWD'rs and "other" general vehicle discussion. Competitive vehicles, other "cool drives" and other discussion related to the ownership experience.

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Garage
2016 Fiat 124 Spider...a Turbo Miata "New" Sky?

2016 Mazda MX-5 Vs. Fiat 124 Spider: Smallest Details Create Two Distinct Packages

Fiat 124 Spider revealed at 2015 LA Motor Show | Auto Express

Debuted this week at the LA Auto Show (god if it wasn't for the turbo build this weekend I'd be going), the new for 2016 Fiat 124 Spider looks promising. While only producing 160 hp it uses a 1.4L turbo out of the Abrath and weighs in at 2436 lbs making it about 100 lbs heaver than the new MX-5 it is based off of but with only 5 more hp than the MX-5s 2.0L NA 155 hp engine (torque for the 124 Spider is a 40 ft/lb improvement over the MX-5 though).

Looks wise though it really reminds me a lot of the Sky. It's almost as though the Miata and 124 Spider have taken a page from the Solstice and Sky book respectively.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 11-19-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
The front end looks terrible and it has about the same torque as an NA Kappa. Other than that it's not a bad car, though, I suppose.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
They're saying that with a bit of tuning you can squeak 200 hp out of it. That with 600 lbs less than a Redline would make it pretty comparable.

The Miata is in the same class as the NA Kappa even though it has less power because it also weighs much less. I'd bet performance of this machine with a tune might come close to that of a stock Redline/GXP/Opel.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I still think the Sky/GT looks better, has a lot more power, and will be better handling. I just feel like they really mailed in that front end. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about a Japanese chassis with an Italian engine. I think they'd have done much better to let the Japanese handle the engine and the Italians handling the chassis...
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Depends on if Fiat is dipping into the Ferrari camp for engine work.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not trading in my Sky for a Fiat or Mazda ANYTIME soon. I think our suspension and chassis setup is far superior to other cars in our class.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cam on to see if there was any talk about this new car coming out. To clear some things up here. Owning the Abarth 500 with this engine in it, it is bulletproof and no slouch of a motor regardless of the small size. Just a tune on a stock car puts you at 190whp and 200+wtq. Having it put into a proper rwd platform just makes it that much better and where it rightfully belongs. The 124 weighs only ~2400lbs (lighter than the 500 even) so even with only 184ftlbs on tap, its ALOT faster than an NA Sky ever will be. The Miata with the standard 2.0 with subpar engine figures Ive seen 0-60 times posted around 5.7-5.8 sec. I would have to guesstimate that the 124 will be closer to the 5.5sec range with the available low end grunt that the 2.0 lug is lacking.

If its true that the 1.7 out of the now defunct 4c will replace the mill for the Abarth version in a detuned form, Im seeing sub-5sec 0-60 out of the box. Unfortunatly I was waiting on this release to make a final decision as to whether or not I was getting another Sky, and it seems like Im going for one of these bad boys. Not that there is anything wrong with the performance of the Sky as they will always hold a special place in my heart, just to buy an aging car with no warranty doesn't seem like a good idea for me when I only own one car thatd be my daily.

2013 Grigio Abarth 500
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidia31 View Post
Cam on to see if there was any talk about this new car coming out. To clear some things up here. Owning the Abarth 500 with this engine in it, it is bulletproof and no slouch of a motor regardless of the small size. Just a tune on a stock car puts you at 190whp and 200+wtq. Having it put into a proper rwd platform just makes it that much better and where it rightfully belongs. The 124 weighs only ~2400lbs (lighter than the 500 even) so even with only 184ftlbs on tap, its ALOT faster than an NA Sky ever will be. The Miata with the standard 2.0 with subpar engine figures Ive seen 0-60 times posted around 5.7-5.8 sec. I would have to guesstimate that the 124 will be closer to the 5.5sec range with the available low end grunt that the 2.0 lug is lacking.

If its true that the 1.7 out of the now defunct 4c will replace the mill for the Abarth version in a detuned form, Im seeing sub-5sec 0-60 out of the box. Unfortunatly I was waiting on this release to make a final decision as to whether or not I was getting another Sky, and it seems like Im going for one of these bad boys. Not that there is anything wrong with the performance of the Sky as they will always hold a special place in my heart, just to buy an aging car with no warranty doesn't seem like a good idea for me when I only own one car thatd be my daily.
Hey, I can't say as I blame you wanting to go with a new car over a car that's 5 years old or older from a company that no longer exists. Talked to an Abarth owner down the street from me and even he told me that the engine in the car is something else. He didn't even buy the car...his father bought it then passed away. Told me it wouldn't be a car he would have bought on his own but after he got it, he thought it was a fun car to drive and really liked it.

I think this new 124 is a sharp looking car and, if what I'm hearing about aftermarket and tuning is true, would be something I might look into if/when the Sky has ran it's course.

Of course, that won't be anytime soon for me. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I think this new 124 is a sharp looking car and, if what I'm hearing about aftermarket and tuning is true, would be something I might look into if/when the Sky has ran it's course.

Of course, that won't be anytime soon for me. LOL
Ill be on the look out for you. I recognize your name from w-body days on clubgp, then on here, next step is on a fiat forum. If youre interested in it, can check out the fiattech.com forum. (have to register to see the full thing though) Its the performance oriented fiat site and the main one I visit. Vendors are working on true plug and play big turbo setups for the 500 which would basically just translate right over the 124 so right out of the box you could probably have a 250+hp feather under a month if you wanted.

2013 Grigio Abarth 500
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidia31 View Post
Ill be on the look out for you. I recognize your name from w-body days on clubgp, then on here, next step is on a fiat forum. If youre interested in it, can check out the fiattech.com forum. (have to register to see the full thing though) Its the performance oriented fiat site and the main one I visit. Vendors are working on true plug and play big turbo setups for the 500 which would basically just translate right over the 124 so right out of the box you could probably have a 250+hp feather under a month if you wanted.
LOL...another ClubGP member. We seem to gravitate to similar forums us former GP guys. LOL Though, on ClubGP I was Troys_97.

Something to consider, a plug and play big turbo on the FWD 500 may not translate right over to the 124. Even though the engines are the same, the transvers layout of the FWD platform vs the longitudinal layout of the RWD 124 may make it a difficult transition.

It's like the 2009 Cobalt SS and the Redline/GXP. Both use the LNF but not everything is 100% compatible between the two due to the different drivetrain layouts. Same with the Holden 3800s and the Grand Prix 3800s. In Austrailia they made a sweet water to air IC for the 3800 for the Whipple supercharger but their cars were RWD and you couldn't make that kit work on the FWD 3800s here without Paul from PRJ fabricating a custom adaptor plate, bypass valve and throttle body adaptor for the Grand Prix.

Oh how I so wanted the money to have Paul do that though for my Wippled GP...sigh.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 11-24-2015 at 01:49 PM.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
LOL...another ClubGP member. We seem to gravitate to similar forums us former GP guys. LOL Though, on ClubGP I was Troys_97.

Something to consider, a plug and play big turbo on the FWD 500 may not translate right over to the 124. Even though the engines are the same, the transvers layout of the FWD platform vs the longitudinal layout of the RWD 124 may make it a difficult transition.
That's true too. From the different angles that I have seen of the engine bay, aside from the air/oil separator moved off the valve cover, its looks just like they took the Abarth motor and turned it sideways. But only time will tell since it all depends if they changed turbos and the bolt pattern might be different etc.

Quote:
In Austrailia they made a sweet water to air IC for the 3800 for the Whipple supercharger but their cars were RWD and you couldn't make that kit work on the FWD 3800s here without Paul from PRJ fabricating a custom adaptor plate, bypass valve and throttle body adaptor for the Grand Prix.
I remember that. Everyone was trying their damndest to get that air to air plate to work for our cars. lol Remember everyone using the fbody manifolds for the turbo setups along with one guy who used one of the side inlet manifolds off one of the holden cars.

Edit: Found it. Ben98GS was his forum name.
http://www.regalgs.org/topic/45870-c...car-now/page-3

2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Last edited by ophidia31; 11-24-2015 at 05:01 PM.
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay, just saw these pictures...

And I have to say, that is one sexy looking car. Not enough to get rid of my Sky by any means, but I would definitely own one if the Sky wasn't around.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Garage
Yea
that is a really nice looking vehicle

I just saw the Targa Top Miata and it is also very sexy. I'd lean towards the Miata at this point. It's a shame the power is so low. I know I would have an issue with that no matter how good the rest of the car is.

Basically a similar situation between the Gen Coupe and the BRZ
I spent less money on the Gen Coupe and got 150 more HP, Brembo brakes front and rear and an already race track proven chassis and suspension [Formula Drift and Pikes Peak] vs a car they drift on Prius tires in commercials.
LOL

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Right there with you Elff. I really like that Fiat but it's the power issue for me. Still...I've heard you can do a lot to the 1.4T in that Fiat and get the power up there.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Garage
Those last picture look familiar.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Looks ok, but it still is a Mazda, err MX5 modified combo s2000/kappa. It's a new car with warranty. To new yet, to know if it has quirks/problems from owner feed back. Little under powered for my liking. Less weight that the Kappa. Yeah you could tune the sh*t out of this thing, void your warranty in a heartbeat.

Italian engine, Japanese chassis or the other way around? Who's to say which way, the buying public or consumer will go on this. Come back to this in year or so, see what owners have to say about it. Our car is 8-9 yrs old at this point. A geezer per say to a brand new model like this. It is what it is. A roadster drop top toy.

Does it come with a V8 option? lol that one was for skersfan! How about the Kim Kartrashion leather options? You could change the looks, anyway you wanted to, if you bought one. Look what some of us, have done with the Kappa. Your car, your vision. Sort of like something else that is close to my heart. Argentinian designed, Italian body, American V8. Pantera

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 06-11-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Roadster/Small RWD Market/Other Vehicle General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.