Sky makes list of 11 cars that have withstood the test of time. - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Sky News The latest news and press on the Saturn Sky in one location.

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Garage
Sky makes list of 11 cars that have withstood the test of time.

11 decade-old cars that stood the test of time

It's a short little click through article and also includes the T-bird and SSR to take it for what it's worth. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
Average asking price of around $17K...

My insurance company does not seem to agree.

Wish I had seen that article a few days ago...would have been fun to throw that in the adjuster's face.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
From what have seen around my area that $17,000 is spot on for a low, low mileage, exceptional turbo Sky. Sure, some are priced less with more mileage or are base models in average condition but these cars are destined to keep appreciating IMHO. Thanks for posting that article.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Garage
It's always speculation on the collectability of these cars but you never know what may happen. I am doing my part for all you collectors out there by driving the PISS out of my car, racking up the miles, and thus making your low mileage car that much more rare. LOL

You're welcome.
mstrjon32 and The Carrier like this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:43 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
It's always speculation on the collectability of these cars but you never know what may happen. I am doing my part for all you collectors out there by driving the PISS out of my car, racking up the miles, and thus making your low mileage car that much more rare. LOL

You're welcome.
Thank You....but I will never know it's true value....my will states my son is not permitted to sell this car...otherwise, he switches locations with me...
Sky4christ likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Thank You....but I will never know it's true value....my will states my son is not permitted to sell this car...otherwise, he switches locations with me...
Boy I am glad I am not your son not that I would sell your car just makes me wonder what other surprises you have in there Mike
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
When I was leaving the mechanic the other day, a guy sat down next to me and told me he'd had a Solstice. He wanted the Sky, but couldn't find it, and the Solstice fell into his lap for the right price. He seemed to be of the opinion that the Sky is fairly collectible because the number were so low. After I left the windshield place I went to get an estimate on some messed up tint on my passenger-side window. Those guys went berserk, and thought mine was "nice"! It's not - yet, but they said they're not use to seeing ones that aren't completely beat.

I would defer to these guys in this market as they all seemed to be much more "car guys" than I am. I don't know if I feel the car is "worth" $17k, but I like the idea of it being worth that much. I'm like Robotech, I'm out there literally driving the value up of the low-mileage cars, so it doesn't matter to me. By the end of the summer I will likely feel that I've gotten an amount of fun from the car that is probably about equal to the amount I've put into it.

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:34 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier GXP View Post
Boy I am glad I am not your son not that I would sell your car just makes me wonder what other surprises you have in there Mike
He will be very happy when I DIE...he gets it all...and he knows it...but my Pension stops.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post

You're welcome.
I try very hard to keep my car's appearance in top form (and it's definitely not perfect), but I never hesitate when it comes to large applications of throttle or steering angle.
LAC Sky likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I agree w/the author to a point. That point being that advertised price doesn't always equal selling price. But my low mileage Sky's for sale thread seem to agree w/the authors point of view. On the Sol side of things it's the fastback coupe that seems to be retaining it's value, at least at Napolisclassics which has around 10 of them. Classic Cars For Sale | Napoli Classic Cars

Points to ponder...
Remaining Kappas and their Distribution - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I have been doing some market research, and found that there are approximately 42.5k Solstice owners and 24.6k Sky owners remaining in the United States.
The research data did not include Opels, Daewoos, Canada, Mexico, or the rest of the world.

The most populous states are Texas, Florida, California, Ohio and Michigan with 27k total owners.
The least populous states are Puerto Rico, Washington DC, Alaska, Hawaii, and Vermont with 214 total owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
DaveOC, I copied this from a post you commented in in 09, so I'm not sure it's still current or accurate.

65,724 Solstice
34,415 Sky
07,519 Opel GT
107,658 total Kappa
Depending on how accurate the numbers are for SKYs, 1/3 of SKYs are already gone in a 10 year period.

Last edited by ChopTop; 03-11-2017 at 06:51 AM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Of coarse the Kaapa is on this list. How could you not notice it, a 2 seat roadster from GM. It's not for everyone however. Yes the Kappa can hold it's value over the years. Yes it is a niche market car limited production run. Yes you can find some great deals out there, for the prospective new buyer, looking for something completely different than the norm. Yes it does attract a lot of attention. $ for $ match up, what compares with it? MX5 would be the bench mark. The new 124 is a result of that. 4 cylinder under 30k with 260hp? Not many that I know of, but if your like me, best bang for your buck, hands down winner, imho.

Will it be a classic? Maybe time will tell on that. Different strokes, for different folks. The appeal we have as owners is one thing. We are in the know about the model, we have biased view somewhat. Yes we all have had different cars in our lifetime, to compare our Kappa to. To me... it was just the right car for me, to have fun in, at this point in my life. How many other drivers out there that you see, have that smile on their face as we do?

The Sol Coupe is interesting here, the one true hard top version of our platform. That puts it, in a different category than the vert version of the Kappa, a different buyer group imo. The different special edition models, on both the Pontiac/Saturn kappa have a certain appeal to a buying group too.

Base/RL GXP / V8 The DD to the weekend cruiser to the track day demon, it fits the bill in all of these depts. Whether your sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, be a jerk gotta be at work, or carving up some twisty's just for the hell of it, or surprising a German special deep into turn 5 by out braking him to the apex, you get what you pay for in this model. It is what it is. Quirky? Cheap? Prone to have problems? Yup all those boxes have been checked off the list.

Looks cool? You bet it does. Attention getter? lol a no brainer. Cost an arm or leg? Sometimes but for the most part no. For it's production run I would say, yes it is a " survivor " after all these years. Some people don't get it. Some do we have all seen the reaction to our car when we pull up, and the gawkers drool over it. New buyers of the Kappa recently have said, I've been looking at it for years, since they first came out, now after almost 11 years. Did GM make a mistake with killing the companies who made our little gem? Yeah imo but then again I'm just Average Joe consumer, who his willing to spend his money, on what I want to drive right now. On a scale of 1-10, in my driving experiences, with the cars I have had to compare it with, I would give it, the Kappa a 8 maybe an 8.5 on where I would rank it. That's just me, your results will vary. Sort of like, "objects are closer than they appear " no sh*t, if he's that close to my bumper, maybe I am not stepping down on the right pedal enough. There that is better... no longer closer to me, more like a distant speck in my rear view mirror! Yes I do feel better about that.

When I bought mine, I traded an HHR for it. I was getting run over, by the nuts on the D.C. Beltway 495, so I decided right then and there, to improve my odds just a bit. While an F1 car was out of my price range, I bought this instead. I knew right away, I had a fighting chance once again, I can get out of trouble with this car, just as fast as I got in to trouble. We have lost many many cars over the years, and the numbers are going up at an alarming rate these days. You breath on it, $1K body shop visit a given. You sneeze at it, it could be done... totaled we have seen that too. Can this car take a hit and keep it's owner alive? Yeah with any accident any car can survive, or not. Is it your day to die? Let's hope not. We all have been in close shaves with some car, where we thought, this is it. will I survive? Yes you can, thanks to a few guys, way back when who said, we can build this and make it work. We now know this to be true, from all those smiling faces we see on owners out there, every time we go for a drive in it. Thanks GM for one hell of a ride. Not a bad little car, that many car owners/drivers have no clue about, even after 11 years.

LAC
marlboromike and jaleonard3 like this.

Last edited by LAC Sky; 03-11-2017 at 08:34 AM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
I agree w/the author to a point. On the Sol side of things it's the fastback coupe that seems to be retaining it's value, at least at Napolisclassics which has around 10 of them.
That was just one of the reasons I like the Sol coupe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-11 10.50.02.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	89434  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeardsley View Post
Average asking price of around $17K...

My insurance company does not seem to agree.

Wish I had seen that article a few days ago...would have been fun to throw that in the adjuster's face.
Article was also written in Canada so that would be Loonies not American Dollars.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:17 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
Article was also written in Canada so that would be Loonies not American Dollars.
At today's rate, that is $12,500 US plus change. That is probably a bit higher than any of the services would figure.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
It will be interesting to see if this car basically retains it's value (which is what I expect) in 10yrs you might keep up with inflation vs becomes a collector car and actually out paces inflation. Note not many cars actually out pace inflation.

In a few years I am going to need a DD, would love to make it an SSR but as of now those car's are still to much money, so I might get a 2nd sky. Interesting that they are both on the list.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Sky News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.