GM is it still American?? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > General Automotive Industry News
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
GM is it still American??

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting "impact" journalism. But just to counter one so-called 'fact' right at the start... $51B was paid (not $80) of which about $22 is still outstanding (not paid back) minus the stock the government still holds (about a third of the company - currently worth about $10 billion). General Motors | Eye on the Bailout | ProPublica

Not necessarily arguing with the piece as a whole, but I just wish these journalists would report factually and fairly rather than off the wall emotional 'stuff' with the 'facts' manipulated to match.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

I donno TS, I think perhaps that 80B is for both companies given money..I have read and search that up to 60+B was given to GM.. 20 or so to Chrysler. Now its own by Fiat and GM is soon to be owned by china motors..What bothers me more than anything is the technology transfers going on..just plain stupid IMHO..
How Much Did the Auto Bailout Cost Taxpayers? - ABC News

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Cheap Labor.
Limited Regulation.
Raw Resources.
Massive Market.
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
One of the interesting challenges they face is China is still a Communist state that is using much of the profit from similar ventures to build its military capabilities up with the stated aim of taking back Tiwan and turning the Pacific rim into a Chinese lake. They have demonstrated their ability and willingness to project combat power to achieve their political aims.

They maintain North Korea as their surrogate such that at any time they can use Korea to create incidents and pressure on us and our allies.

GM could loose their entire investment at the stroke of a pen and they know it. It's very high risk.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
[...]Now its own by Fiat and GM is soon to be owned by china motors..What bothers me more than anything is the technology transfers going on..just plain stupid IMHO..
Doubly weird in that GM refused to sell Saab to a Chinese company, supposedly for the reasons that they were scared of technology transfer. Hmmm.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

The technology transfer BS is nothing new with the People's Republic. This is a standard requirement of doing business with that Country:

I have a few associates that have ventured there. The most recent is a CO company that has developed a "Super Algae" lagoon/sewage treatment process that has proven very effective and economical for increasing the capacity of rural town sewage systems. And they are even developing an application to pull CO2 out of power plant emissions by running the exhaust through a holding pond saturated with the Algae. So you can see where this tech could be a real game changer at some point in the future.

Well, they have begun negotiations with the People's Republic to bring their company to China and build sewage treatment facilities for their massive rural population. My contact said they fully anticipated that the Chinese Government would completely steal the tech from them. In fact, it is written into the operating contract that they must transfer the tech to the Chinese within 3-5 years. The only reason they are even considering it, is because they stand to make so much money in the first 3 years that it may be worth the sacrifice. Last I knew they had not committed to the project. On a side note: He kept having to rewrite his build budget because the Chinese would say; instead of excavators to dig the lagoon, we will send in 10,000 workers with shovels and have it dug in 2 days.
Got to love the Utopian Communist way of doing things.

A bigger concern than the tech transfer from GM is the tech transfer from GE. The President's "Job's Czar": Jeffrey Immelt, CEO of GE publicly stated in December that "The one thing that actually works-State run Communism-may not be your cup of tea, but their government works...what they're doing makes sense".

GE is now building aircraft in China, to directly compete with Boeing (keep in mind that Obama tried to have Boeing's new non-union plant in South Carolina shut down). And as part of the operating agreement, they must transfer tech to the Chinese. Some have questioned if we should be transferring sophisticated aeronautical tech (some of the very same used in our military aircraft) to the People's Republic.

So from my perspective, the danger of transferring auto tech pales in comparison to what GE is doing. But maybe this is all just a symptom of the new one world economy?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Plus the tech transfer may be 'explicit' or just theft. I work for Cisco and a few years ago (maybe 10 now ) Cisco discovered that Huawei (Chinese comms company) were selling network routers very cheaply, which operated and had a feature set suspiciously similar to Cisco's own models. Cisco got a couple of them and found portions of the circuitry were identical to theirs. Not only that, but the firmware was, though not quite identical, comprised of large chunks of similar code, even down to some older bugs that Cisco had found and more recently fixed!

From Cisco web site:
Quote:
Rather than providing Cisco’s interpretation of the facts, we think it better simply to set forth the facts themselves. To that end, the following are verbatim excerpts from the Neutral Expert’s Final Source Code Report, dated June 15, 2004:

From a section entitled Comparison of Cisco STRCMP and Huawei’s [CODE NAME REDACTED]: “It must be concluded that Huawei misappropriated this code.

From a section entitled Functionality: “Because of the many functional choices available to the Huawei developers (including three of their own routines), the fact that they made the same functional choice as Cisco would suggest access to the Cisco code even if the routines had implementation differences.”

From a section entitled Comments and White Space: “The exactness of the comments and spacing not only indicate that Huawei has access to the Cisco code but that the Cisco code was electronically copied and inserted into [Huawei’s] [CODE NAME REDACTED].”

From a section entitled Findings: “The nearly identical STRCMP routines are beyond coincidence. The Huawei [CODE NAME REDACTED]routine was copied from the strcmp routine in Cisco strcmp.c file.”

Finally, the Neutral Expert’s conclusion: “Cisco’s source code has been used in Huawei’s version [CODE VERSION REDACTED] implementation of its Versatile Routing Platform. Two library files from Cisco’s Internetwork Operating System were compromised. Huawei has replaced the library code in VRP version [CODE VERSION REDACTED] but the replacement methodology was flawed and must be redone. A proper procedure will be simple and straightforward.”

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 01-12-2013 at 01:23 PM.
TomatoSoup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Send a message via AIM to cityboy
What I don't get is we owe a lot of money to china
But we give them tons of food to feed there people
Are we selling it to them ?
If we're not it should be taken off our bil ?
I'm not the smartest person on foreign trade
But as I see it at this point unless we start taking back and build our country
Back up we will be them real soon
No rights no guns no fredoom
pedals
black leather
6-disk
gm-CIA
painted calibers
opel antenna
blue low/fog lights
gm turbo upgrade
WR
Cateless down pipe
Engine caps.
Pro beam
Back bone
Venom brace
Custom badging
DDM IC pipes
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you really knew how much stupid stuff Washington is doing with your tax money you would drive to D.C. right now and start slapping people.
Opel GT Antenna
Probeam
Backbone
LV Brace
pksudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksudo View Post
If you really knew how much stupid stuff Washington is doing with your tax money you would drive to D.C. right now and start slapping people.
I saw in this morning's paper that the Obama administration decided to not mint a $1 TRILLION coin which would have been used to pay on the national debt. Sounds like they thought they could print or mint money at any value they choose to use as they please. How much metal would have to be in the coin to make it actually worth $1 trillion? Who would accept it as being worth that?
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
Trifecta tune
gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sure looks like a symptom of the one world economy to me:

Check out Ford's overseas manufacturing (they have 5 plants in China):
List of Operations Worldwide

I do like the fact they are still showing 25 plants state side.

And it doesn't look like Chrysler has not ventured into the People's Republic yet, but they do like Hugo Chavez.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsreleas...id=9117&mid=18

And here is the General's list:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/guides/manufacturing/

Looks like 6 plants in China. And 11 plants state side.

Last edited by GS Stage 1; 01-14-2013 at 06:14 PM.
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > General Automotive Industry News