Shocked? Angry? or Happy? - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > General Automotive Industry News
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
Back to the subject at hand

We dont have all the information. On the face of it, these guys got fired 2 years ago and have presumably lost 2 years of wages. Unless the company or the union paid them off. But taking the story at face value, they were basically fined 2 years wages for their infraction. I suspect that had they been offered a fine equal to a years pay or getting paid 3 months pay to quit, they would have chosen the latter.

The whole thing could have been handled a lot better by all involved.

The individuals are in essentially dead end, zero challenge jobs that are demotivating and turn into complete mindless drudgery over time. I almost dont blame them for taking a drink or two at lunch. Its not a good thing to do, but the combination of the evolutionary power of the unions that create a hostile work environment that removes almost all incentive or feeling of self worth for the individual and management that has allowed this situation to occur.

In hind sight, management should have followed a prudent process and treated the TV event as notification that some individuals were probably breaking the rules. They then should have done their own investigation, questioned the individuals in volved, found actual evidence of infractions that would have satisfied a reasonable review process and then taken action.

There are a wide range of actions they could have taken.

Lock down the plane - not a great solution but a consideration.

Put a drug test / breathalizer on the factory doors to screen all employees.

Institute random substance abuse testing like my employers have done for 15 years. Passing the random tests is required to maintain your employment.

Offer the offending employees the opportunity to go to "abuse school" on their own time or pay a fine or take a demotion, or take a month off or ? there are a lot of things they could have done
And Jesus wept. Sure enough, there will be someone making a philosophical argument that drinking on the job is actually the job's fault.
rghoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghoskins View Post
I think getting ****ed up on the job is pretty universally wrong, regardless of industry.
I'm not arguing about the wrong or the ramifications for doing the wrong. I'm looking at what transpired to establish a wrong occurred.

I take a picture of you buying Vodka in a store. I then take a picture of you sipping Kool-aid on Saturday...your day off. I take those pictures to your boss and say I caught you buying Vodka during your lunch break last Friday, and then caught you sipping the Vodka shortly before returning to work. Your boss calls you in the office, shows you the pictures, states getting ****ed up on the job is pretty universally wrong...and fires you on the spot.
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
I'm not arguing about the wrong or the ramifications for doing the wrong. I'm looking at what transpired to establish a wrong occurred.

I take a picture of you buying Vodka in a store. I then take a picture of you sipping Kool-aid on Saturday...your day off. I take those pictures to your boss and say I caught you buying Vodka during your lunch break last Friday, and then caught you sipping the Vodka shortly before returning to work. Your boss calls you in the office, shows you the pictures, states getting ****ed up on the job is pretty universally wrong...and fires you on the spot.
Yeah, that's not what happened.
rghoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Hello? What's any of this vitriol have to do with the Sky? I'm sure there are lots of other forums other than this one where you can vent.
This is a general auto industry thread. I'd guess since the unions pretty much run the industry and this law affects Michigan unions the topic is germain.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

"Fly Navy"

1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z (R.I.P.)
1993 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 150K
2004 Saturn Ion Level 3 140K (only new car I've bought)
2007 Lexus IS250 (her's)
bradwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > General Automotive Industry News