New R/L Owner and New to the Forum - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
New R/L Owner and New to the Forum

I am new to the Forum and tried a post yesterday. I am thinking it was thought to be spam. I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and the wealth of info here is astonishing. Talk about folks who have been there and done that. My wife and I purchased a 2008 Silver Pearl Redline and it arrived by carrier last week. We got it for our 25th anniversary. The kids are really jealous! We bought it around Philadelphia and had it shipped to us in Texas. The semi must have had an oil leak because it arrived covered in oil mist. Spent 2 days cleaning it.
I just want to really say thank you to all the people that make up this forum. I have looked up so much info on questions I had. From jack stand placements to performance mods. As a "newbie" I am really excited to get to working on this car with my wife. Thanks Again

I am going to attempt to post a pic or 2.
Enjoying the Sky in Texas.
txsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Congrats and welcome to skyroadster.com!
Sky_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Always nice to see another SKY owner show up in Texas.

Welcome aboard the crazy train . . . . . . and come on out to Kerrville Meet in February!
SkyVue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hello and Welcome txsky !!
TonyRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Welcome! Where in Texas are you?

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Windrestrictor V2
Rusty Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Glad to say howdy

Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post

Welcome aboard the crazy train . . . . . . and come on out to Kerrville Meet in February!

That does not work...trying to add additional HORSE POWER
marlboromike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsky View Post
I am new to the Forum and tried a post yesterday. I am thinking it was thought to be spam. I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and the wealth of info here is astonishing. Talk about folks who have been there and done that. My wife and I purchased a 2008 Silver Pearl Redline and it arrived by carrier last week. We got it for our 25th anniversary. The kids are really jealous! We bought it around Philadelphia and had it shipped to us in Texas. The semi must have had an oil leak because it arrived covered in oil mist. Spent 2 days cleaning it.
I just want to really say thank you to all the people that make up this forum. I have looked up so much info on questions I had. From jack stand placements to performance mods. As a "newbie" I am really excited to get to working on this car with my wife. Thanks Again

I am going to attempt to post a pic or 2.
Enjoying the Sky in Texas.
We do need a member to install Vogue tires out West
Attached Thumbnails
New R/L Owner and New to the Forum-100_0369.jpg  
marlboromike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just remember

Redneck Whitewalls

Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your SILVER ANNIVERSARY!
Lori
Magnaflow 14267 Dual Exhaust, 35170 Quad Tips
SILVER ANNIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
txsky,
Welcome,
LLLFLY
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks Everyone !! Very nice of y'all. I'm down in S/E Texas, on the Gulf and the Louisiana border. 1st mod complete. Pulled the taillights and took them to an old friends paint shop and had them smoked. Cars is on jack stands right now. Painting the wheel hubs and brakes. Ordered some fitted luggage and accessories from kappashere.
Just like the Redline, my credit card is also "Smokin' Hot". Going to do 3 mods next.
Exhaust. CAI. GMPP Turbo Upgrade. If work allows I'm doing Kerrville!! The Sisters await!
txsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Howdy partner..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

White Wall Tyres - a history

And for the uninitiated

The status of whitewall tires versus blackwall tires was originally the reverse of what it later became, with fully black tires requiring a greater amount of carbon black and less effort to maintain a clean appearance these were considered the premium tire; since the black tires first became available they were commonly fitted to many luxury cars through the 1930s. During the late-1920s gleaming whitewalls contrasted against darker surroundings were considered a stylish, but high-maintenance feature. The popularity of whitewalls as an option increased during the 1930s, while automobile streamlining and skirted fenders eventually rendered the two-sided whitewall obsolete.

1950s Rambler American with vintage aftermarket "curb feeler"
The availability of whitewall tires was limited in the U.S. during the supply shortages of raw materials during World War II and the Korean War.[1]

Wide whitewall tires reached their zenith in popularity by the early-1950s. The 1957 production version of the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham was fitted with whitewalls that were reduced to a 1" wide stripe floating on the tire sidewall with a black area between this stripe and the wheel rim. The whitewall stripe width began to diminish as an attempt to reduce the perceived height of the wheel/tire. During the decade, increasingly lower vehicle heights were in vogue.

Wide whitewalls generally fell out of favor in the U.S. by the 1962 model year. They continued as an option on the Lincoln Continental for some time thereafter but most common were narrower 3/4"-1" stripe whitewalls. During the mid-1960s variations on the striped whitewall began to appear; a red/white stripe combination was offered on Thunderbirds and other high-end Fords, and triple white stripe variations were offered on Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Imperials. Whitewall tires were a popular option on new cars during the 1950s and 1960s, as well as in the replacement market. In some cases, having whitewall tires were a "must have" to get the right look on a car; and for those who could not afford the real deal, add-ons could be installed over the rim of the wheel that could leak if the pressure was too high.[2]

New tires were wrapped in paper for shipping to keep the white stripe clean and preventing the black of other tires to rub on the whitewall side.[3] Maintaining a clean sidewall was an issue. Some motorists added aftermarket "curb feelers" that were attached at the bottom of the wheel opening lip to help reduce scraping the whitewall tire against curbs.[4]

By 1968, wide whitewall tires were no longer available on the Chevrolet Corvette; replaced by F70x15 bias-ply nylon cord tires with thin stripes, either a narrow white or narrow red stripe.[5]

The single-sided whitewall remained a desirable option through the 1970s, becoming a hallmark of "traditional luxury". Radial tires made by Vogue featured a narrow whitewall with a thin gold stripe line toward the edge of the tire. They were most often fitted to luxury cars.[6]

Full-fledged wide whitewalls had made a return within the pimpmobile culture. The resurgence of traditional hot rods, customs, lowriders and resto-cal cars have also contributed to the resurgence in whitewall tires.

Although wide whitewalls are virtually nonexistent as a factory option on modern automobiles, they are still manufactured in original bias-ply or radial form by specialty outlets. The last car available in the United Kingdom with whitewall tyres was the Kia Pride. Some companies manufacture wide whitewall inserts - the so-called "Portawall" inserts are usually sold through Volkswagen Beetle restoration companies.

Modern trends toward more minimal styling, and large wheels favoring very low-profile tires leave little room for a whitewall. The Lincoln Town Car continued to be offered with a factory whitewall option a narrow white stripe until its discontinuation in 2010. It is not currently offered as a factory option by any manufacturer.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Rob,
Thanks for posting on the w/w.
MMIKE and I have the Vogue on are SKY's.
I can't tell you how many times at a show
People have come up and said will you take
my picture next to your SKY inc. Miss PA.
Have fun.
LLLFLY
txsky, PNT out all the info you need.
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor

Last edited by lllfly; 12-14-2012 at 05:42 PM.
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic