2008 Saturn Sky - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
2008 Saturn Sky

Hi,
I just bought a 2008 saturn Sky and loving it, however whe I go to close my roof, the handle will not go all the way to seal it. I have to pull the roof down with one hand in order to crank it closed. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you fix it? Thanks you in advance.
Cheers,
SuzieQ
SuzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Congrats on your new Sky!
As for the top latching issue, I've never encountered that, but over time I have found that I have to take an extra few seconds to line my top up with the pin holes before closing latch. When I got her new, the top closed easily but I suspect that over time the alignment has changed slightly.
Three Pedals
Pretty basic set-up:
Monsoon stereo/ 6-disk CD
Spoiler
Splash Guards
Personal Audio Link for iPod

Came home Jan 2, 2008
R-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
It is not unusual to have to pull down on the front of the top to get it to latch. I do it with both our Kappas.

If it is very hard to pull down, consider reducing the tension on the top a bit. There is an adjustment screw stop on each side on the back side of the tulip panel. That is on the left and right sides of the front of the trunk. There is a kind of round foot that is mounted on a stud with a lock nut. When you screw the foot out, to wards the rear of the car, it tightens up the top. If you screw each foot in slightly it will lower the tension on the top and should make closing it easier.

The trick is to make sure you get the same tension on both sides, left and right, and that you have enough tension to keep the top taught.

There is more info from this thread from 2008.

Door Glass Comes in Contact with Convertible Top - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Answer dated 11/19/21 13:47
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine is looser than that and falls into place just fine. However, I may well actually increase the tension on mine so I have to pull it down. The trouble with being loose is that the pins don't match with the holes in the windshield every time and end up scratching the plastic - or worse, possibly tearing the rubber seal.

Be carefull what you wish for
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Hey congrats on the new (to you) Sky and welcome to SkyRoadster.com! Is yours a turbo or NA? What color? Any mods or is it fairly stock?

On the top issue, no problems here.
Sky_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just had another thought... you ARE lowering your side windows a couple of inches (or opening the doors) before closing the top, right? If not, you MUST do so to prevent wear on the seals and avoid closing problems similar to what you describe.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome aboard!
carnut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I had problems closing the top when I bought mine earlier this year. The metal bar that extends from the roof (the latch) was a little to high and I had to pull down on that metal bar in order for it to get around the pin on the top of the windshield frame. I finally did fix it and it was quite simple. I took some pliers and simply bent down the metal bar that extends out on the latch just a tiny bit. Now it works great. Supposedly if put the top down with the latch in the closed top position it bends the latching bar up a little and out of alignment with the pin. I assume that's what the previous owner did.
DDM Works IC Charge Tubes
Solo High Flow Catalytic Converter
SeattleSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

If I have my top down for most of the summer and try to put it up, it takes a little effort because the top seems to have slightly shrunk but once everything is aligned up, windows down, it locks in place. Also I found that the wind restrictor, if left in place, puts a little pressure against the rear window of the top, making it harder to pull the top closed. I usually remove the wind restrictor before putting the car for the winter.
Red Leather interior
Black top
Automatic
No modifications
EFBRODIESR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I just had another thought... you ARE lowering your side windows a couple of inches (or opening the doors) before closing the top, right? If not, you MUST do so to prevent wear on the seals and avoid closing problems similar to what you describe.
THAT was my initial thought.

Another problem that could happen is that if underneath the tulip panels there is a wire connected with a cheap plastic locking mechanism that opens the panels and especially when closing the top, IF those cheap plastic locking devices wear out or break & the elbow works its way off the tulip panels connection spot you cannot close the top without "someone manually" holding the tulip panel open then close the top. IF the panels don't open, there is NO way to close and lock the top without causing further damage "somewhere". I posted a thread on these things awhile back. In fact, on my drivers side the lead elbow is now broken, either I have to see if the cable can be replaced or make a modification to the mechanism.. IF or when the dealer states its not repairable I will invent a better system and I will post the details then. First however I have to replace the internals of BOTH windows, (wires corroded, which of course include the windows motors) assuming those parts are still available. At the moment I can't lower either one..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 11-23-2012 at 09:28 AM.
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

had same problem

mine was hard to get shut,the latch was bent and the dealership repaired it for me,it works fine now.i think its to do with the latch when you tuck it away in your trunk,that is if the latch is left open.
rspears9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ View Post
Hi,
I just bought a 2008 saturn Sky and loving it, however whe I go to close my roof, the handle will not go all the way to seal it. I have to pull the roof down with one hand in order to crank it closed. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you fix it? Thanks you in advance.
Cheers,
SuzieQ
Welcome aboard!. Please update us on the status on your latching issue and if it's been repaired. Have a good week and I hope you're enjoying your new Sky!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion