Saturn Sky Forum banner

Annoying Rattle From The Trunk Area

12K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Robotech 
#1 ·
There is a real annoying rattle coming from the trunk area right behind the head rest. More so the passengers side. I searched the forum but could not find an answer. I have tried several times to find it but failed. Has anyone had this trouble with cables, wires or something else rattling in the trunk? Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
This may seem strange, but move the passenger seat up one click from the back of the car and see if the noise goes away. On mine, the seat back rubs against the back of the cabin, giving a strange sound when going over rough roads. I never noticed this before until Thursday after we came home from a 220 mile trip through some heavy twisting roads.
:confused:

#3 ·
If the noise is occurring with the top down, then: Check the "saddles" that the alignment pins at the front edge of the top set into, when in the down position. Typically, this will be more of a squeak than a rattle. The OEM felt liner on the saddles wears out and there you go. Replace with self adhesive silicone tape.

If a rattle with the top up: Check the Tulip Panel behind the seats. With the top in the up position, a bar from the top mechanism rests against the edge of the Tulip Panel. The bar is wrapped with an OEM plastic tape. The tape wears out, and then the Tulip Panel will rattle against the bar. Replace the tape with self adhesive silicone tape, problem solved. (if it has been rattling for a while, it may have chipped the edge of the tulip panel as well)

#4 ·
Passenger side seat belt top bezzel attached to the rear wall just below the tulip panel.

See it the bezel is loose. Click the seat belt into place as if someone were sitting there and strap it down as tight as it will go. Go for a drive and see it that helps. If it does you need to shim it up with some thick double-sided tape or velvet tape.

#6 ·
Sky Pilot,
That is a great mod.

JohnRR and I have had the liner out
many times. Very easy to do.
Lot of wires and cables to tape and tie down.
All these tips are great to check out.
LLLFLY

#11 ·
Oh yeah, forgot about the door striker. That is a good one. And yes it can rattle like Hell and sound like it is coming from behind. The simple fix is to ping the striker plate with a center punch right against the latch pin to take up the slack.

#14 ·
we had a squeaky rattle. When the roof sits in the back it rests on some holders and can bounce on these a small amount. We put some electricians tape in there and it stopped it. We had a similar issue with the hood squeaking and good old electricians tape cured that too. Hope it helps as these were two infuriating issues that were cured by this and made the car seem much more refined as a consequence.

#16 ·
So . . this Malvern Wells?

Malvern Wells is a village and civil parish near Great Malvern in the Malvern Hills District of Worcestershire, England. The parish of Malvern Wells, once known as South Malvern, was formed in 1894 from parts of the civil parishes of Hanley Castle, Welland, and the former parish of Great Malvern, and owes its development to the 19th century boom years of Malvern as a spa town. Malvern Wells is a centre of commercial bottling of Malvern water.

#19 · (Edited)
Had the same issue with the strike plate that Willie had, as a matter of fact he showed me one day way back when. The harded pin is pressed into the holder and there is a minute amount of movement between them. it's like they should have applied just a little bit more force when they pressed it in. I took them off and had a welder tack the pin to the plate (from the back side).
That fixed the clicking, but last year I started to hear a clunking, clicking noise from behind my seat and found the nuts that hold the top assembly in place against the frame of the trunk had worked loose and the assemble was rattling, I tightened them and the noise went away.....Now I did have my top assembly replaced about 4 years ago and maybe the tech didn't tighten them as much as he should have, but I would still give the nuts a going over.......Just a thought.

#21 ·
Sorry for awaking this old thread, but I'm trying to find the exact same rattle/noise that was described in the title.

My noise sounds like two hard plastic pieces rattling together. The noise is coming from right behind my right ear. The noise only occurs when the top is up, when the top is down, no noise. I've look through and found a loose cable and secured it but that did not stop the noise. Also if i press hard backwards against the seat, the noise will quiet or stop temporarily.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#23 ·
I think I may have found it. Starting search for cup holder rattle on Solstice site and found reference to the large black plastic piece behind the seat. I think it is the plastic piece vibrating against a screw. I put fabric tape between them to see if there was any change. Can hardly hear it now, must be where it is. I'll try some felt to close it down completely.

#27 ·
On mine it was the seat belt guides. Rattled like crazy. A little silicone quieted them up good.

Reactions: a280z
#28 ·
Follow up...it was the hood. Sound felt like it was coming from all over. Finally tracked it down. Hood latch on drivers side needed adjusted downward. Hood always felt secure, but aggressively pressing down on the corner near windshield revealed that it was still not secured enough. I really had to press down on the hood HARD to duplicate the rattle. Eight years listening to that thing banging around. Finally fixed.

#29 ·
If you are using a tape-like product (electrical tape for example) to eliminate rubbing, rattles, squeaks and banging, the best solution is peel and stick Velcro, specifically the thick and soft cloth-like portion. It is very durable, very effective, and even looks OEM professional. Menards sells it as shown, 4 foot by 2 inch in black or white for $5.00. One box will provide all you need. If wrapping a rod and it is peeling off over time, just use a couple of matching black wire ties to keep it OEM professional looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.