Saturn Sky Forum banner

backup camera mounting options

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  44thSKY 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on this. I'm installing my new head unit soon, and would like to add a backup camera at the same time. I would like it to be as inconspicuous as possible but still work good. I know that mounting options are limited.
Can anyone provide pros/cons of different styles, or give some mounting experiences?
Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I have a Youtube video showing the installation of my head unit and backup camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pffd9UgWlo

BTW, the backup camera makes it a lot easier when you back into a parking space. One of the many benefits. Definitely worth the cost and time of installation.
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I will definitely use it as reference when I install mine (make sure to cut the THICKER light green wire :)).

I've been been looking at the camera that ArikDahn installed. There are big price differences and I'm not sure why yet.

#7 · (Edited)
Back to the original question, if you are a DIY'er, you can make your own bracket (I just used a scrap of 3/4" angle-aluminum) and mount a camera up high under the lip above the license plate, replacing the factory plate light with a couple of (eBay) glued-in LEDs. I got a $20 eBay camera and it works just fine (and has been for years). More pic details here (but remember the measurements are for a Solstice, so you need to confirm for a Sky): Backup Camera by M Q | Photobucket

#8 ·
BC-30 Garmin backup camera

My BC-30 WiFi camera does a good job. I do need to get used to the camera's view as it is new to me. But when I shift to reverse, the operation is flawless and the picture is clear.

I have two GPS units from Garmin (nuvi55LM & GarminDriveSmart51, both compatible with the BC-30). The existing front dash area only needs the new power cord used, which includes the WiFi module. This cord comes with the BC-30 (see product code below).

I paid a shop $50 to install the rear unit as it was more than I wanted to try and tackle. Thus, I don't have a video, but do have still shots of the results.

I found my BC-30 on eBay. If you pursue that source, you can be assured of the right unit (not an additional camera) by asking the seller if the PRODUCT CODE on the box is: 010-12242-10.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.