Saturn Sky Forum banner

Buying a Saturn in 2012. Wise Choice?

5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  DURAMAX 
#1 ·
So I am really in love with the Saturn sky. I loved the design ever since it was introduced and am about to get back into the market for another vehicle. I checked Carmax and there seems to be quite a few, low mileage roadsters available. However, my colleague at work is telling me to stay away from a discontinued car because cost of ownership will only go up as the car ages. I really love the sky but don't want to get in over my head in the long term because parts and maintenance are few and far between. I need some help! How reliable is this vehicle. It is a GM product and I have to believe that the cost to maintain this vehicle will be no more than what it costs to maintain my 1999 Chevy S-10, which is also a discontinued vehicle. What are some pros and cons guys? Thanks in advance.
:banghead:

#2 ·
I'd buy another one today. GM will make parts for 10 years from the model year. There are obviously parts specific to these cars, but there are also a lot of parts from the GM parts bin that are used in other cars which makes them more common and available.

I can still get parts for my 87 Pontiac so... :thumbs:

#17 ·
I'd buy another one today. GM will make parts for 10 years from the model year.
I can still get parts for my 87 Pontiac so... :thumbs:
That's the theory. The actual facts have parts shortages that have required GM to buy back and junk good cars because they couldn't supply the parts to fix them. Don't count on being able to find any Kappa specific parts in any given time frame. There are cars off the road still waiting for fenders etc. and you need to go used on a lot of things.

PS - try buying an EGR tube (a part that often needs replacement, as the cracked on those cars) for your 87 Fiero some time - NLA (fortunately when I needed one recently, the after market provided).

#4 ·
Every car is an orphan at the end of its production run. Take the VW Beetle. I owned three in the 60s and each was unique and used different parts. The real question is having a company that stands behind the car, what ever it is.

GM has been very good about maintenance and supporting us as owners.

The real issue is that it's a limited production platform. Many, most of the mechanicals are shared with hundreds of thousand Cobalt, Cadillac CTS, and other high rate production cars

The fact is they are unique, fun, very capable and generally very reliable cars. There are many examples of normally aspirated cars going strong with 200,000 miles given normal maintenance. There are also essentially new cars still available at very good prices.

Like GS said, if you want safe, ugly and boring get a Miatta. If you want sexy, quick, fun and a permagrin, look for your perfect Sky and enjoy the heck out of it

#13 ·
So I am really in love with the Saturn sky. I loved the design ever since it was introduced and am about to get back into the market for another vehicle. I checked Carmax and there seems to be quite a few, low mileage roadsters available. However, my colleague at work is telling me to stay away from a discontinued car because cost of ownership will only go up as the car ages. I really love the sky but don't want to get in over my head in the long term because parts and maintenance are few and far between. I need some help!....:banghead:
Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the forum. I love my Sky Redline and if you buy one you will probably love it too!! Also, break the news to your colleague that the cost of ownership will go up on just about any car you purchase as it ages.:thumbs:

#21 ·
For what it is worth, I have driven extensively a 2010 Miata that belongs to my brother-in-law. I drove it in city traffic, country twisting roads, and long distance on freeways. The Miata was a fun car to drive, requiring lots of gear changes, but a little hairy on start-ups on steep hills in Ithaca, NY. It was power on or nothing. The long distant drive at 65+ on freeways got a little tiring and somewhat annoying from the high RPM turning engine (3,500+ rpm). You could not really relax while driving this car long distances. Even my brother-in-law decided that it wasn't a good long distance car, complaining about his drive from Ithaca to VA and back.

The 2008 Sky (na) that I own, is much quieter, well mannered, but very much as enjoyable as the Miata to drive. If you want to drive long distances on freeways, etc. it is a very comfortable car to drive. It is definitely a car that you can relax in with the top down, enjoying the scenery and then poor on the power, enjoying its ability to take corners like it is on rails.

It all depends on how you want to use the car and if you will use it for a daily driver or for pleasure. Personally, I like driving my Sky better than driving my Brother-in-laws Miata.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.