Crap...got overspray on my car. How can I take it off? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Crap...got overspray on my car. How can I take it off?

Not sure how or when it happened but somehow my car got some kind of stubborn overspray on it. I first noticed it on the windshield. I thought it just had a bunch of tiny dust specks on it. I tried cleaning it with windex and obviously, they wouldn't come off. I then tried with a razor blade and that didn't work too well either.

It's also all over the body of the car. I tried a clay bar but that didn't work. Looks like it's stuck on there pretty good. I've read that brake fluid is a way to take it off but I'm a bit worried that it might have a corrosive effect. I even asked my dealer if they knew how to take it off and they had no idea and recommended a place that specializes in overspray removal. Unfortunately that shop is too far away from where I live to be practical since I'd probably have to leave the car there, not to mention they probably charge a small fortune, and I don't know of anyone in my area so it looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to do it myself.

Anyone know how I can get this overspray off without damaging my paint??
lostcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Depending on the type of overspray "Goo Gone" may work. If it doesn't remove the overspray it is still worth the try because it won't damage your paint. You can get the stuff in ACE hardware stores.

2008 Sky Redline
Black Onyx Red/Black Leather
Single Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
3 Pedals
Picked up 9/04/07
Darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

dont know what it is?
ShabbyPipesw/tialQ,HIDlow&fogs,stubby,Tints,RPiGTExhaust&RacePi pe,HahnIC,AreoforceDualGuages,DDMProBeam,RaceBackb one&APilar,Wester'sRaceTune,TenzoRDC5,Eibach SL,BTF BigWheel ko4+,JPM shifter,HKSturbotimer,RKsportHood,NormsSkyFenders& someCFbits
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (9)
You could try Turtle Wax Bug Tar Remover. I use it to clean road tar and bugs. It works very good.

Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Happiness looks forward, but Faith looks up!
Texas Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

seriously your screwed, razor blade the windshield

i have this problem too because i work at a chemical plant

sorry
Are-Ex-Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcause View Post
I tried a clay bar but that didn't work.
If it's bonded beyond a clay bar, I would recommend at least a consultation with someone with experience with this type of removal. Something has bonded with the clear coat. If the experts can figure out what it is, there might be an agent that loosens the bond without much problem. Alternatively, an appropriately (this is where expertise is critical) aggressive buff (similar to what one might use for swirl marks) might do the job.
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Unhappy

My Sky picked up a bunch of tiny white spots also, not sure from where, but it came from the Sky obviously. Got on my MB sky and daughters black G6 GT (in fact it sprayed on all our vehicles parked on our driveway). Washing and claying did not remove it, however, when I put my Porter Cable and swirl remover stuff on it, they disappeared. I then followed up with the polish then sealed it. I suspect (I am not sure) that somebody was spray painting there roof tiles in windy conditions. Or something white leaked out of a plane flying over head.. Either way if you attack it early enough and not let it "cook in" our hot sun, you should be able to get it done.. Good luck man..

PS: You might might want to try a small can of Goof Off, there is a thread from another member here that he was able to remove the painted stripes off his Sky that was added on without his approval.. Ah, here it is Painted Pin Stripe Removal

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 07-17-2009 at 10:01 AM.
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I work at a foundry and it sounds like what I get on mine. they have a special acid gel they apply and let sit for 5 min. then rinse and then clay bar and then re-apply wax. any metal dust will do what you are describing. I can find out what gel they use if you want.
DDM WORKS TURBO
sky 4 us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

depending upon what it is that is stuck to your car; I've read that things like creamy peanut butter works well for road tar and wax, but it sounds like what ever it is, it is more stubborn than road tar...you may have to bite the bullet and take it to the shop recommended by your dealer.
skyradr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
This is a good example of why I paid for the protection plan from Saturn.

If this happens to my car, no matter what the reason, Saturn has to repaint it, replace the top, replace the leather on the seats, mats....

Not to mention, they completely detail the car once a year for me.

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

T Cut. not sure if you have it in the U.S (you must do)but you have something similar. Very fine buffing "cutting compound". i had to get the rear sprayed on mine due to a bump.
a while after i got it back i noticed overspray under the spoiler so i got an equivielnt to Tcut & it came off nicely. rub it on, let it dry, buff off.
Opel fog - Thanks Reed
Clear side markers,Flashing side markers,glowing footwells,3rd Pulser,JPM Leather,Wind Blocker,stubby,Tint
HID's
Shoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
My Sky picked up a bunch of tiny white spots also, not sure from where, but it came from the Sky obviously. Got on my MB sky and daughters black G6 GT (in fact it sprayed on all our vehicles parked on our driveway). Washing and claying did not remove it, however, when I put my Porter Cable and swirl remover stuff on it, they disappeared. I then followed up with the polish then sealed it. I suspect (I am not sure) that somebody was spray painting there roof tiles in windy conditions. Or something white leaked out of a plane flying over head.. Either way if you attack it early enough and not let it "cook in" our hot sun, you should be able to get it done.. Good luck man..

PS: You might might want to try a small can of Goof Off, there is a thread from another member here that he was able to remove the painted stripes off his Sky that was added on without his approval.. Ah, here it is Painted Pin Stripe Removal

Hey man, how's it going? Got any local runs planned for the future?

I checked out the porter cable thing and it looks like it costs about 250.00 so that's a bit out of my price range right now. I do have some goo gone which seems to be more or less the same thing as goof off so I'll give that a try.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky 4 us View Post
I work at a foundry and it sounds like what I get on mine. they have a special acid gel they apply and let sit for 5 min. then rinse and then clay bar and then re-apply wax. any metal dust will do what you are describing. I can find out what gel they use if you want.
yeah, if you can find out what they use that would be great.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully one of them will work.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcause View Post
Hey man, how's it going? Got any local runs planned for the future?

I checked out the porter cable thing and it looks like it costs about 250.00 so that's a bit out of my price range right now. I do have some goo gone which seems to be more or less the same thing as goof off so I'll give that a try.
I'm fine thanks, yourself? As for any runs, nobody has really shown any interest lately. The last thing I was going to check on was to see what we have to do to get track time at Palm Beach International Raceway, but I have not manage yet to get up there and check if it is even possible with our roadsters. Plus it will be an added expense for everyone I'm sure, a Snell helmet I'm sure is several hundred dollars for example, not counting track fees it could get to be an expensive endeavor, and I for one am not in a financial position right now to spend that kind of doe for something like this..

Let us know if the goo off does the trick..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

lostcause

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but I would be very wary of using brake fluid on any painted surface. I’m confident that it will attack the paint and make matters worse.

1. Every can of brake fluid I’ve ever used warns you not to spill or splash the fluid on painted surfaces.

2. Personal experience - I spilled some on a painted brake vacuum booster once and the fluid took the paint off down to bare painted metal.

Take your car to a paint or body repair shop and see if they can at least tell you what the problem is, whether or not it can be repaired, and how much. You'll make better decisions with more info. Good luck, keep us posted.

“Dragon Slayer”
Yellow '08 RL, 3 pedals, cow skin
Options: shiny rims, mud flaps, aerodynamically questionable airfoil
Mods: GMPP LNF tune, etched glass Windblade, DDM Backbone & Pro-Beam
Upgrades: Phase-plasma rifle in the 40-watt range
GordoSH-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion