Saturn Sky Forum banner

Daily driver?

4K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Sky_Pilot 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! My name is Joe I'm from NY... Sorry if this thread pops up somewhere else but I started it last night and now it's nowhere to be found

Anyway, heres the story.. I have a 2010 Camaro SS that is fairly intensively modded.. Full suspension and full bolt ons. This is my baby and plan on keeping it for a very long time. I may get a job that's proximity won't allow me to commute via NYC public transportation. So now I am looking at buying a daily driver

My conditions are: nothing German. Not that I don't like German cars, but I am going to purchased used. A daily driven German car out of warranty is just asking for it

Secondly, I HATE compact car proportions (corolla, civic, sentra, etc.) since I am only looking to get a 4cyl car, my options are limited being that I am eliminating that whole segment

So far I have been considering the following:
2005+ Subaru Legacy GT sedan
2004+ Acura TSX
2006-2007 Accord coupe EX-L (4 cyl)

Then the other day the sky popped into my head. I hate the solstice but have always loved this car. Practicality isn't an issue as far as cargo room, etc. I am looking to purchase a DD based on style (the sky blows the others out of the water), gas mileage, and reliability.

Gas mileage- from what I have gathered is that the 2.0t actually gets better mileage than the 2.4 NA? Regardless I think I would stick with the 2.4 base. First, fewer expensive things that can go wrong, and secondly, I would be much less inclined to mod a car with 175hp than one that can achieve 290 with a GM tune.. After all my camaro is my car for fun, this would be a DD. I would love the 2.0t performance, but I'd just rather not tempt myself and risk costlier repairs

So, all that being said... I have not read such great things about these cars in terms of reliability. Granted, some are CS, Edmonds, etc.. But I figured I'd ask real world sky drivers. Please try to eliminate any bias, I need honest opinions.

How is the reliability on these? In your honest opinion could this car serve me well for the purpose I am looking?

Also, so far I have gathered that the differential has issues with a seal, the tops like to rip on early models, and the 2008 brakes have problems. What are any other common or major problems?

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#3 ·
Approaching six years ownership.
40K miles.

Waterpump.
Solenoid Boost Controller.
Top molding
All under warranty.

Coil pack
Out of warranty.

Brakes (2008)
No problems after the TSB fix.

I think the main issue for a daily driver is more "operational" (form, fit, function) than "maintenance". If your daily drive is dirt and gravel back roads....this isn't the car. Get more than a couple inches of snow? Not for you.

There are also lots of quirks that require you to "baby" the car to avoid problems. Door handles, special top care (every time it goes up/down), steering wheel centering, seat belt positioning, center console care, beverage holder management, etc. So you need to be willing to do lots of extra things on a regular basis in order to avoid accumulated failure or frustration.

Of course, keep in mind this type of car has a larger percentage of owners who like to mod, or who really exercise its capabilities. Reliability can be as much a function of prior owner as it can be of make or manufacture.

#6 ·
"Meant to be" and reality are two different things. Take the Hummer....a military utility vehicle....tweaked and marketed to the masses. Soccer Moms taking kids to school and shopping in a three ton 13mpg hunk of metal. Talk about "meant to be"!

Perhaps it's all in the DNA, be it human DNA or metaphor equivalent for the vehicle. After all, the SKY does share the Hummer transmission. Now there's a "meant to be" story to tell....the truck transmission that become a sports car rock star.

#5 ·
I bought a Sky RL not so much as a daily driver, but as a "commuter" car, probably for the same reasons you did. Smallish proportions, surprisingly excellent fuel economy (if I'm careful with the throttle on my commute I get around 35-37 MPG for the trip), and it looks spectacular. If you have the cash, there is no reason not to get the RL.

The car is not practical for moving things or people around, and you're not going to want to use it when it's snowing outside. Like me, you'll probably also find that you prefer driving the Sky to your other car (in my case a CTS-V). It's surprisingly fun to throw around corners at around-town speeds, especially compared to the CTS-V that really wants to be driven hard. In fact, don't be surprised if you buy a Sky and end up preferring it to your Camaro, since that's basically what happened to me!

#7 ·
thank you everybody for the responses. These were the types of opinions I was looking for... a few thing I want to respond about

mstrjon32 formerly of mymonte.com?!?! how the hell are ya ! I used to have the pewter lumina "ss" (facepalm) :lol: that I put way too much money into haha
I bought a Sky RL not so much as a daily driver, but as a "commuter" car, probably for the same reasons you did.
Exactly what I was getting at. I guess I should rephrase... It would be a "commuter" car... I will still drive the camaro around town for normal errands, etc.. I just want to spare it the 50+ mile per day round trip that I may have ahead of me with this new job

The car is not practical for moving things or people around
Yup Obviously not practical as a hauler, but wouldnt be my concern. Just a car to drive to and from work. I know its in a different completely ballpark than the other cars I have been looking at in terms of size and function... but I havent been looking at those cars for their ability to move people/things either. Only because they fit the bill as a 4cyl car that I find attractive, and they arent too many

Get more than a couple inches of snow? Not for you.
I have owned a G35 coupe, and now my Camaro which are both RWD with no issues in snow on A/S tires. However, both are considerably heavier than the Sky. Should I get a sky, I will undoubtedly have a dedicated set of winter tires. In your opinion, are their other contributing factors to the Skys ability (or lack thereof) that go beyond just RWD that makes you feel this way?

I think the main issue for a daily driver is more "operational" (form, fit, function) than "maintenance". There are also lots of quirks that require you to "baby" the car to avoid problems.
I am very meticulous with my cars, so honestly I would probably take those precautions regardless. I guess that would be a trade off for me- dealing with small things in return for the added style this would give me over the other considerations. But at the same time, I dont want my OCD/Anal nature to take over If I am going to constantly be addressing small issues in order to keep it at my standards

#20 · (Edited)

Gas mileage- from what I have gathered is that the 2.0t actually gets better mileage than the 2.4 NA? Regardless I think I would stick with the 2.4 base. First, fewer expensive things that can go wrong, and secondly, I would be much less inclined to mod a car with 175hp than one that can achieve 290 with a GM tune.. After all my camaro is my car for fun, this would be a DD. I would love the 2.0t performance, but I'd just rather not tempt myself and risk costlier repairs
How is the reliability on these? In your honest opinion could this car serve me well for the purpose I am looking?
Also, so far I have gathered that the differential has issues with a seal, the tops like to rip on early models, and the 2008 brakes have problems. What are any other common or major problems?
Thanks for your help!
OK back on topic. Since I have been an original owner of 07 Sky 2.4L auto bought in 06 AND my wife has been the daily driver of my Sky, so far thank God it has NEVER ever broken down on the road and left me or her stranded on the road. To this day she still drives this car in mixed city, mostly highway driving as she commutes everyday 30+ miles one way. Now granted we have had our share of issues, who hasn't in a 2 seat roadster convertible:willy: I have also had little major issues.

Now in the cars defense, my car sits out in the Florida heat, rain and humidity, 24/7 EVERYDAY, (drives thru rain if we have too, but we have no snow issues down here):lol:...yet.. Never seen the inside of my garage.. And that will cause problems with ANY car. I have had the top replaced under warranty when a seam was unraveling in a tough spot to re-stitch, had a small tranny issue with a part that crapped out on the engine itself, an actuator I believe they called it. Then I just had both window regulators replaced because of the mechanism corroding. My ignition switch needs replacing because the car dings when you open the drivers door even with the key removed. I have an issue with the drivers flap mechanism that opens it and shuts it when the top goes up/down.. I have had the rear tail lights fill up with water and condensation seems to happen with them occasionally. Lets see I am doing normal maintenance repairs currently, I just put new brake pads on the front after 6.5 years running on OEM pads, the rear I left alone, still plenty of meat on them, and I replaced all the brake fluid while at it. (In fact in the last 6 months I flushed and replaced the coolant, transmission fluid and differential oils). Also yesterday determined that I need to buy my 3rd set of tires, shopping, looking and comparing right now. We get approximately 22.5MPG on the crap ethanol mixed gas we get down here, with pure gas we use to get 24+MPG..We use regular shell or chevron. No matter what anyone says, this car has been a real trooper for a daily driver, the NA IS extremely reliable IF you keep up with the maintenance and just give it a little TLC, it'll never let you down. Couple of more final notes, keep in mind that we have NO spare tire, even so, I have never ever seen a Sky broken down on the side of the road, and certainly never an NA. I have had my flat tire now, and I had my battery die at a Chili's, however on trips and while on the road, very reliable IMHO.. Sorry for being so long winded, and again, sorry for the earlier highjack.. IF you can find a "decent" one up your way, AND have a set of snow tires/rim combo for winter, and as long as you don't get 5+ inches of snow or more, I don't see why it could not be your DD...Just be aware of its limitations, after that good luck on your hunt and decision..:dthumbs: Oh one more thing my NA has the standard differential, not the LSD, even so they performed the recall on it, but I never had one issue with the standard one, the LSD's have had their share of problems, however I haven't read of any issues on the later models ones, and even those that were repaired seem to be holding up now.. On those tho it could be a crap shoot.. especially on a used R/L car, not only with that, but with modifications done to it, like a tune, which you might not know about....
PS: My sky needs its tail painted, and needs both fenders replaced & painted due to they being cracked..

#22 ·
Off Topic...I am sending MB a PM...he got me this time. Members should take a lesson here who get offended...nothing here is to be taken personal...I HATE YOU FRANK :lol:
NO PM received, and none needed MM.. AND I'm not out to get anybody, nor was I offended, BUT I will challenge only those that attack me first, or post false information, (which BTW it has happened to me). And No you don't hate me Mike and you know it, I keep bringing you back down to planet earth, I want you to share your extensive knowledge with the newbs on our cars, instead of berating them, or requesting petty things from them to prove they own the car and I want you to talk up the sky and the NA like you use to.. I want you to stay on topic, Vic also, instead of going off into the nether lands THAT is my objective, I don't hate you either, BUT I do want the ole Mike back..:cheers: If I hated you I would dropped your ass like I did Vic as a favorite "friend" :rolleyes: In fact I donno if Vic would take me back, I haven't asked him since I booted his ass first..:lol: I am the most friendliest guy here, really I am..:D:cheers::skep:

#25 ·
Oh, and I forgot there is one more issue with the SKY:

Drive it long enough, and you go a bit senile. Or perhaps those who are already senile are attracted to the car. Causality aside, senile or not, there is at least one amongst us that likes to work on his car, forget where he is, forget what time it is, and even forget to eat....but he does like things that are well designed and practical....like a flip top box.

#26 ·
76K on the odo and still going strong. I'm the original owner of a '07 RL and have always used it as a DD/commuter car. Now with a wife and kid it's just my commuter car and the SUV takes over after 5pm and on the weekends, but the RL has been rock solid for me and enjoy driving it.

#28 ·
I've driven cramped 2 seater British roadsters as my primary driver for a significant portion of my life and it isn't a big deal (although it was nice to go from a true roadster, which means with side screens rather than roll up windows to convertibles, which means with roll up windows).

If you like the cars, they are fine for commuting and also decent for carrying stuff around if you are a bit creative. I've toted bales of steer manure for the garden in the Lambo, a complete MG engine beside me in a TR-3 (passenger seat removed) and countless Rhododendrons and cases of wine in a Jensen. I even got a huge plastic bag that filled the whole passenger side and filled it with loose bark mulch once.

A manual shift sports car (the only kind I'd bother owning) can get a bit tedious if your traffic is stop and go, but normal commuting is great and they do get excellent mileage.

Your choice to stay with a non-turbo is probably sensible as you already have a play toy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.