Saturn Sky Forum banner

THE Definitive Ignition Switch Recall Thread- Just the facts, Ma'am.

106K views 147 replies 47 participants last post by  Windancer 
#1 ·
(There's enough old farts on this forum that should know where that came from.)

TONS of misinformation on this forum and the others. I'll give you guys the facts here. Not information regurgitated from the web either, except for this link I'm gonna post to an informative and pretty objective report about the issue.

For now, watch this video. CNBC - Watch Full Episodes | CNBC | Failure to Recall: Investigating GM It explains quite a bit of it. Any other questions that you have post them here and I'll answer them with the real story.

A couple quick answers...

The dealership IS NOT supposed to give you back the old keys. It's a SAFETY recall and that's part of the repair. The dealer and/or tech is leaving himself up to HUGE liabilities if he gives the customer back the old keys.

It's the SWITCH that was the issue. The lock cylinders DO suck, and many, many have failed, that's why they're included in the recall. The new lock cylinders are the newer completely different design that's been used in many other cars for years.

The hole in the key is a factor, but not a huge one. I think part of the reason for the key replacement was to make it so weak that the hole in the key would pull apart first, like is shown in this video. The new keys look like something you'd buy at Walmart. (That part is my opinion, not substantiated facts.)

The old keys DO work in the new lock cylinders.

The new keys have to be learned to the theft deterrent system.
The new keys will work fine in the doors.

The recall takes about an hour, maybe two if the tech is slow. The bottom plastic part of the steering column trim cover is removed to gain access to the switch and lock cylinder. Nothing else is taken apart. The computer is not accessed, no codes are checked or should be set in the process.

You are entitled to a free rental. If you take the rental, you either have to leave your car at the dealership or in your driveway and CAN NOT drive it while you have the rental.

You have to call or go into the dealership to get parts ordered. Parts are ordered only by vin for the specific car. The lock cylinders are a generic part, they come uncoded. The keys also come uncoded. The dealership cuts the keys to your key code, accessed by your vin through the GM database. The tech codes the new lock cylinder to that same key code by putting the correct numbered tumblers into the new lock cylinder. The new lock cylinder is installed, the new keys learned to the cars theft deterrent system, the new ignition switch is replaced at the other end of the lock cylinder housing and away you go.

Gotta run, I'll check back here later. Hope this clears up some of the confusion and misinformation.

BTW, it sure would have been nice if the GM Customer Service people could have done this. Political Correctness and being so scared to say the wrong thing has made their role on these forums TOTALLY WORTHLESS. Sure, shuffling every response off to PM's is safer, but then what's the point of a PUBLIC forum? If they have to have a lawyer proofread every word they post online, they might as well not bother. That's too bad because they have a chance to give GM a friendly voice on the forums but choose to keep quiet and stay pretty much neutered instead.

See less See more
#71 ·
The old GM did that. It isn't around any more. When it went under the new GM bought assets under the Chapter 11 proceeding while shedding liabilities.

The new GM would not be accountable for anything it did, and in any case the step from civil liability to criminal liability is a steep one. I cheat you out of money by misrepresenting something I sell you, you get to sue me in civil court. I steal your car, you get to call the cops. There is a considerable gap between those types of illegality.

#73 · (Edited)
The old GM did that. It isn't around any more. When it went under the new GM bought assets under the Chapter 11 proceeding while shedding liabilities.
At this point I'm not talking about GM. I'm talking about the individuals who were made aware of these problems and did nothing other than punish those who made them aware. It's one thing to sell cars with shoddy paint or defective cup holders. It's entirely something else to sell cars with known safety defects and to keep on selling them for a decade or more.

That's the real problem with "A-level executive" misdeeds...they know that they are unlikely to get caught, and even if they are, the penalty will be a fine that gets effectively paid by the shareholders - not them.

Until a few of them get some significant jail time, that philosophy won't change.
That. +1.

At one point I added up Wagoner's total compensation during his last 10 years at GM. If memory serves it was over $100,000,000. During that same period, GM's net income was a LOSS of $85,000,000,000: They paid Waggoner about one hundred million to lead the company to a loss of eighty billion. Oh, and they built a nice collection of known-defective rolling death traps along the way. Ugh.

#72 ·
Seems like a case for Criminal Negligence could be made...and that would not be protected by the GM bankruptcy.

That's the real problem with "A-level executive" misdeeds...they know that they are unlikely to get caught, and even if they are, the penalty will be a fine that gets effectively paid by the shareholders - not them.

Until a few of them get some significant jail time, that philosophy won't change.

#74 ·
We had our third local car have the lock failure. Key and lock are stuck in position, either while running or while off and attempting to start.

I was looking at replacing the lock with one from Source One so bought a spare just in case. However after watching a video, it looks like it might be possible to remove your existing lock and remove the offending tumblers and use the existing lock in a reduced security mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DKNx7im76s

If anyone tries this I would be interested in feedback.:D

#75 ·
I am confused. The key shuts off, and the key gets stuck in position. WTH??

Either way I miss driving my sky, even though I do still have it in my possession and as tempting as it is to take it out!! I am getting way to used to my "new" Gmc after putting about 800 miles on it in the last month.

Sad to say though, If GM gave me a new GMC Sierra HD to drive as a loaner, I'd probably have traded in the Saturn by now. I only fall in love with my sky each time I drive it, and right now I am trying to decide on a set of tires since they are at the wear bars and one is now flat.

#76 ·
I had my switch get stuck in the off position. The key would go in and out, but the switch would not turn. This is a common, known issue with the switch. GM, prior to the current debacle, offered a lifetime fix for Cobalt and some other vehicles, but not the Kappas. They've told me I will be reimbursed now for my out of pocket expenses to repair it. We'll see...

#79 ·
Our G5 has been sitting on their lot for weeks and they forgot to order the parts for my GXP.

Now, they have the parts for the GXP and not the G5.

Total discombobulation!!!

#80 ·
My Sky must be pissed I am not driving it... it developed a Flat tire sitting for the last month! I still haven't told it about the Personalized plate I ordered for it so maybe that will bring it's spirits.

I was already going to be getting new tires when it goes in for the ignition switch but damn... it just looks so sad, and I have no idea how the tire decided to go flat while sitting.

#82 ·
Yeah, I'd be a bit deflated too, if that happened to me......can take the wind right out of you!

#83 ·
Had my recall done to the Sky. Great service and a day turn around. Got the plain Jane keys everyone has been complaining about. Not much to see visually that is different on the ignition. The keys do seem a bit shorter than the original. I should be set to go....... I guess.

#86 ·
GXP - FIXED after getting wrong part and getting it stuck :nonod:

G5 - still waiting and waiting and waiting :brentil:

#87 ·
Well we had the dreaded Bad Ignition Switch problem happen to our '09 Hydro.
It only has about 17,000 miles on it and when we were on a recent PNWR Summer Solstice cruise it shut off while making a slow speed turn coming to a stop. I thought I'd banged the key with my knee, but it was probably the beginning of the end for the switch.
Then the other day when my wife returned home from work the car wouldn't turn off without pulling the ignition fuse. We couldn't remove the key from the ignition.
The dealer thought it might just be a bad tumbler, but when we took it in yesterday for them to check it, turned out to be the Bad Ignition Switch recall problem.
When they removed the tumbler the insides just fell apart. Luckily it was sticking in the ON position instead of the Off. We have the parts on order as of May 12 and should be in within the next week (hopefully)!

#90 ·
Similar slow air leak.

One of my tires looses @ 0.5 psi each day. After multiple attempted tire repairs, I was told it was due to flaking chrome finish on the wheel that makes it hard to get a good bead/seal.

For the past few years, the problem pops up when the temperature outside changes (winter to spring; fall to winter)... then the problem lasts from 2-6 weeks and then stops (only to happen again in a few months).

#91 ·
One of my tires looses @ 0.5 psi each day. After multiple attempted tire repairs, I was told it was due to flaking chrome finish on the wheel that makes it hard to get a good bead/seal.

For the past few years, the problem pops up when the temperature outside changes (winter to spring; fall to winter)... then the problem lasts from 2-6 weeks and then stops (only to happen again in a few months).
Huh?? I find that strange the inside/bead of the wheel would be chromed, but what do I know.. these rims are made in china, right?

#93 ·
I would, preferably a "professional" tire installation place..do it when it's leaking air again..

#94 ·
Last week I went to my local GM dealership to check on parts availability for my recall and the locked in ON key. They said my parts weren't in. The service manager said the GM rep was in the day before and assured all that they were working to resolve all issues as soon as possible. OK. Due to a couple of upcoming trips which I did not want to drive my 16 mpg Ridgeline, I asked him to arrange a rental for me. Suddenly, I became a priority. He asked me to check back in a couple of days and he would go through the 40 sets of locks and switches they received that morning to see if any were compatible with the Sky.

Checked back on Thursday morning and they swapped my order with avaiable Chevy Cruse parts and scheduled me for the change out today at 8 AM. All went well and now I'm back on the road.

As it was explained to me the parts kits are not brand specific. There are three different kits that fit cars across brand and model lines. Chevy Cruse kits fit Skys and vice versa. All key and tumbler cutting and programming is done at the dealership.

My advice, if you are still waiting is to ask for a rental.

#95 ·
Well, when I had mine done last Friday, my service adviser told me AND showed me a stack 1 inch thick for people that the ignition switch parts are in, they have been called and so far have not showed up...

#99 ·
Dealer called me on the 23rd. Parts had been ordered 10 weeks almost to the day (was told when I stopped in to order the parts it could take as long as 16 weeks). I called GM at week 6 and they offered me a rental if I wanted one. I told them it was not necessary at the time. I took it in on the 25th and they provided a rental for the day. Picked up the Sky later that afternoon. Just love those new 'generic' keys. Guess thats how they know you had the recall completed, no branding on they key.

#102 ·
My parts were ordered May 2nd.. Parts came in on July 21st. Gave them the car last tuesday and I picked it up today.

So happy to have it back!! I did put about 2600 miles on the loaner in the last two months :)

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.