Saturn Sky Forum banner

ESC Warning & MIL P0700 ?

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jackbird60 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2009 2.4 liter. (Like it a ton!!!)

The problem seems to happen just after I start the car. Then the car abruptly down shifts HARD, the ESC warning appears, followed shortly by the MIL light PO700. I have an OBDII, and here the funny thing, if I connect that to the car and erase the codes, the car will drive just fine again. I believe, what is happening is, after so many instance of what it may think of as improper shifting or possible short/faulty sensor reading , it then goes into this limp mode.

BTW something similar happened to me sometime ago in my 2006 V-6 Sonata GLS, and that problem was the Gas Pedal malfunctioning sensors.

Anyway, I am not sure what it is, and maybe others had success finding out what this is. I am thinking it may not be a really TCS Malfunction, based on other experiences involving traction control etc, but of course, I can't rule it out. I drove the car for about 40 miles, expressway & city and the car shifted fine after the erase of the code.

Possibly, there is a short, or TCS is truly malfunctioning.

I know too, when it does happen, it does when I press down to accelerate quickly, and then the car seems to bog down (only after start up), and then the ECS appears , etc which leads me to think it could be the MAP sensor or CAMshaft position sensor. But now I am just guessing.

Any experience with this occurrence on the 2.4 engine?

Thanks - Jack :smile:

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Ok, Stage One Trial:

Last night, I disconnected the Battery, took off MAP Sensor, Clean Sensor and connections, Sprayed\cleaned the Throttle Body, Air Cleaner, and Air Filter & air filter box. Reassembled and clamped fittings tightly. Test drove at night 4-5 times last night about a total of 20 miles, really putting it through it's paces. Took it to work this morning 25 mile drive in, Expressway and heavy city traffic, and so far, she is shifting just fine and running great. No sagging on acceleration, no ESC & Traction Lights & ENG Lights. So far Looking good! :) Usually it pops up fairly soon, but I think another 30-50 miles should tell the real story.

I did buy from RockAuto, Cam Sensor, and Cam Exhaust Actuator, and waiting for those to be shipped to me. I still feel it could be one of those, since I seen this kinda of condition happen somewhat in other cars I had. I feel by reading all the threads on the Solstice that the problem that popped up has little to do with the TCM.

I also feel our cars seem to have little electrical gremlin issues that cause all sorts of problems (and codes) .

So, stay tune to see if the MAP sensor is the fix. (In this case) I am logging this to help others save $$$$ and not run to the dealers since I saw that a lot on the Treads, and the cost was not necessary, considering the real fix and problem.

#7 ·
Hi All,

Well on my way back home, I had to drive to various places. In total another 60 miles. (About 110 miles in all) No issues , no problems and smooth shifting and power.

I would say that our wonderful car sensors and computers are set up a bit differently than most, and will throw these codes, cause the trans to downshift harshly, scaring the Bejusus out of us, and pointing the problem, to the TCM, but I am betting in 95% of the cases, it is not the TCM.

Believe or not, The Throttle Body can really affect drivability and create shifting problems, especially in our wonderful cars. Even though I recommend to 1st remove the MAP sensor and clean it thoughly along with the connectors , it's probably just important to clean the Throttle body, and the hoses leading up to it. I highly recommend that you make sure the plate is clean as well, that means the edges, top to bottom, and the other side. Also recommend as I did that the battery be disconnected before doing this. Now, upon startup , it may idle roughly for 20 -30 seconds (residue of cleaner in there) but it will even out. Let it idle about 3-4 minutes before the test.

My Thanks to RoboTech for his support and leading me to the Solstice forum to further review and investigation on this problem.

Having said all this, I want to point out that, this is step one, and cost you nothing. Possibly the MAP sensor, or the CAM Sensor could be bad causing the same type of affect, but I have a hunch you'll see a code for the Cam Sensor is this is the case.

Ok, hope this helps someone, and gives them hope in a simple repair , versus a costly one. Because that hard downshift, and lights on my dash, had me very concerned!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.