Favorite Cleaning products - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
Favorite Cleaning products

What products do you prefer to use to keep your Sky looking its best?

My choices:

3M Quick Wax - A "quick detailer" spray, but MUCH better than any of the other ones I've tried. It dries quickly and without streaks/spots and gives a very nice shine. Great for keeping it nice between "real" wax jobs. Hard to find in stores but easily available online.

AutoMagic Cool Dress-It - Great for our interior plastic and vinyl. Gives a nice, long-lasting shine but without being very greasy. It does NOT seem to be particularly good on tires. I have not seen this in stores, but it is available online.

Meguiar's Gold Leather Cleaner and Conditioner - Keeps the leather seats nice and supple. Available in most Auto parts stores and sometimes Target/Walmart.

Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel - Keeps the tires bright and shiny (smells like grape candy - don't ask me why). Available in most Auto parts stores and sometimes Target/Walmart.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
1. Griots Garage body clay is hands down the best I have found.
2. Griots Leather/Cleaner/conditioner
3. Korean micro fiber towels....no China micro fibers. Big difference between the two when removing polish or wax. Look at the tags on the towels to tell
4. Dow Scrubby bubble for the tires (not rims) Wet rims before using Scrubby Bubble on tires and let it sit for 2-3 minutes before using soft brush to scrub.
5. 303 protectant on all rubbers and tires
6. Luster Glo for engine compartment plastics and wheel liners. Hard to find and only have found on-line. Great product
7. Griots Garage Window/glass Clay. Removes build up on your windshield such as tree sap, embedded dirt etc. Makes the glass shine.
8. Like most all Mequires products pertaining to paint finishes such as swirl remover, paint cleaner, polish, wax etc
9. Air compressor with long blow gun to fluff up the carpet and clean out under seats and crevices. This is a must for my polish buffers as well.
10. Don't laugh when you read this one but one of handiest detail tools I have found are my wife's "blush and make-up brushes". Women have many different ones and they are so great to get around all the knobs, name plates etc.
11. Be careful when selecting certain, very soft, tooth brushes for getting dirt or left over wax from around exterior name plates and groves. I like badger hair detail brushes for this job as well but they are pricey.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
The best products are the ones that work best for you.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Garage
Nano Skins are my favorite tool since I discovered them. They serve the same purpose as clay bar, but allow you to accomplish the same task in significantly less time because it's basically a glove.

I will never go back to a clay bar ever again.

My second favorite cleaning tool is my wife.
and before anyone screams sexism, it's because she is an awesome detailer with a boatload of different products and polishers.
Once the car is clean and nano-skinned, I get pushed out of the way and the Pro takes over.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:14 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
The best products are the ones that work best for you.
This is the most intelligent answer....and of course the Brillo pad for the whitewalls..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0974.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	884.3 KB
ID:	91178  

Last edited by marlboromike; 04-21-2017 at 12:17 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
I'm in the exploratory phase to find what products I like best. I bought a load of different microfiber towels, and they work as well as my buddy told me they do. They are good inside and out. I got "caught out" in the rain about 2 blocks away from home last weekend and I came back home, and dried it off with a microfiber. I use a dish soap-wand-thingy with the scrubber, and that you can put the soap into for my wheel shine biz. I store it in a big ziplock that I hang up so it doesn't drip out and get everywhere - like on the floor of the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
My second favorite cleaning tool is my wife.
and before anyone screams sexism, it's because she is an awesome detailer with a boatload of different products and polishers.
Once the car is clean and nano-skinned, I get pushed out of the way and the Pro takes over.
I understood immediately. My ex-wife was a "car person" and absolutely LOVED to clean, detail, or mod any car she could get within arms reach of. She had some awesome cars during the time we dated. My current girlfriend is the same way, but her level of attention to such matters doesn't border obsessive. It walks right across the line. Her dad owned a dealership, and she speaks of things like being a toddler and being placed on the tops of cars with a soapy sponge to wash them. She'd be offended if I offered to help her clean her car, but she can't wait for me to allow her to get her hands on mine (i.e. can't wait for me to get out of her way when I'm cleaning mine). Eiff, do you get the "you missed x" or the "you might _____"? I sure do.

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:18 PM

Garage
She jokes about letting the pro take over and calls me pigpen.
LOL

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Nano Skins are my favorite tool since I discovered them. They serve the same purpose as clay bar, but allow you to accomplish the same task in significantly less time because it's basically a glove.

I will never go back to a clay bar ever again.
Link? I'm overdue to clay/DA the Sky and the Sprite and saving a bunch of time would be great.

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeardsley View Post
What products do you prefer to use to keep your Sky looking its best?

My choices:

3M Quick Wax - A "quick detailer" spray, but MUCH better than any of the other ones I've tried. It dries quickly and without streaks/spots and gives a very nice shine. Great for keeping it nice between "real" wax jobs. Hard to find in stores but easily available online.
Will check this out; haven't been super happy with any quick detailer I've tried lately. Meguiars used to make one I liked but it was discontinued.

The two things I added to the kit last year that I most appreciated were the California Car Duster (reduces the amount of detail spray/wipe and so swirl marks) and a silicone water blade (because out here it's not uncommon to get some light rain/mist at the shows even during the summer). Same deal as the duster: Less wiping/rubbing with towels means less swirling.

I've also taken to drying the cars after washing with a leaf blower.

I should never have watched all those Junkman2000 videos on YouTube- all I see when I look at a paint job now is swirl marks...

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 02:16 PM

Garage
Here ya go.

This is also a great site for all your detailing needs

Nanoskin Car Care Products, nanoskin autoscrub system

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put a Kenzo 2 stage ceramic coating on mine after prepping the paint now all I have to do is power wash it and blow it dry.or just drive it and it's clean also brings up the shine 10 fold. Also coated the wheels dirt and brake dust just power washes off.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:34 PM

Garage
That's good stuff.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
The Cali Carduster I use on mine every time before I pull out of the garage is on its 4th car. I love that thing. I just figured everyone used them. In addition to loving to detail/clean cars, my GF LOVES yard work. She's always using the rider for this or that and she loves that leaf blower daily for one thing or another. My car sees more dust from her than it ever does on the road. The CCD takes the dust away like magic, and keeps it looking presentable between washes.

Time to invest in some Nanoskin products!

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copdriver91 View Post
I put a Kenzo 2 stage ceramic coating on mine after prepping the paint now all I have to do is power wash it and blow it dry.or just drive it and it's clean also brings up the shine 10 fold. Also coated the wheels dirt and brake dust just power washes off.
Link please? did you uses the ecocoat stuff?

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Garage
Capitalism creates new products to make the individual poorer....use your brain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.