Fog light switch - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Fog light switch

Does anyone elses fog light switch sometimes work and sometimes not work?

Usually when I hit the switch a bunch of times, nothing happens. Then after a few more attempts, it turns on. It's the same procedure turning it off.

Does GM make bad switches? So far I have problems with the side mirror switch, the driver door lock switch and the fog light switch.

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Black leather seats - used to be cloth
Pioneer 4200NEX head unit with Backup camera
Tinted Windscreen

Last edited by mmartin; 04-13-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have problems with the same switches plus add in the traction control/ competitive mode switch.

Luckily the ignition switch works 100%
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
You can take the switches apart without too much difficulty. I had a malfunctioning Hazard switch that would not reliably latch. Took it apart and found a piece of plastic that had broken off and was interfering. Removed the plastic and put it back together - worked fine ever since. (Never had to use it in anger, just as a test.)

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not sure whether GM is at total fault here, who is their supplier for those switches mentioned? Company name? Has GM changed from buying from that company since the end of production? Our cars were parts bin specials, whatever fit, and was within budget for the platform, well there you go.
Each owner has their own unique experiences with certain switches that don't function properly.

New car right from the factory, I am sure that any car might have a problem with a switch, if found by the dealership, replaced under warranty.
Used car with maybe an unknown history from the previous owners as to what worked, or has been repaired or replaced by that owner?

TS is right here, in that they are plastic in nature, and maybe from over use from the previous owner, or lack of use by that owner they do break, and can be taken apart, and repaired or replaced by you. You know the dealership will replace them in a heart beat, and put a dent to your c/c $$$.

Check your switches, lights, functions of such, weekly or monthly is in my mind, owner related before you drive and smile. How do you know, IF they work, IF you don't test them on a regular basis? Then you know, this switch won't work right, or that left turn signal bulb is out. " The reason why I pulled you over today sir, was your left brake light is out. Here is your ticket/inspection notice to get that fixed right away... $$$ You have a nice day sir!" "Why yes officer I will", while you truck down to Advance Auto or the like to find the replacement bulb in question. Know what I mean?

Mirror/door lock/fog light switch, all open to the elements when that side of your car door is open. A heavy moisture build up, high humidity or rain every other day, salt sea environment could have caused corrosion build up on those switches and maybe others too? A leak maybe have developed on that side of the car/window seal letting water/moisture seep in to the door/interior maybe? Any signs of water damage or... flooding might have gotten to that side of your car?

We know that certain things on our car do and can go wrong from time to time,..." You don't say LAC?" Imagine that! Every car or manufacturer has some issue at one point in time, MB or Ferrari, Audi, Ford, Chevy.... water pump here, cracked fender there, PPS seat mat sensor, fog light switch to the left of me, ignition switch to the right of me. I for one have not had any problems with switches on my car so far, that's just me, lucky I guess. Now as far as the air bag/pass. seat sensor mat ( thanks to our man Robo ) that has yet to be determined on yes it does work, or nope it's gone like the wind. Fix it at N/C !

From your description it sounds like corrosion build up, or a broken contact could be the problem? Source the replacement part # and price, for now just in case? If possible remove and inspect the switch, open it up check what you can see inside, if a "plastic " piece is broken( TS ), or if there is a heavy corrosive build up of some kind? Check the fog light bulb/socket/wire connections for anything that looks suspect to you.

Being that this IS the fog light switch, it does not interfere with the most important function switch on our car. The ignition switch works just fine
Hope you find your answers to this problem(s), driver's door window/lock switch, driver side mirror switch, driver side fog light switch is there a pattern developing here? Fixed or replaced by you at cost/time plus or minus a few beers along the way, " Damn... it's always something I gotta fix before or after I drive this thing." Yup I've been there before, think we all have at one point in time, or with that "special pos " we all have had, that no matter what you did, or how often to you tired to fix it, it never ended good for us, thank god that car was finally put down, for my sake, my bank account sake, for my sanity... not that I would like... put a .357 hole straight through the engine block Oh No... not me! Many cars, many problems some good, some not so good. It comes with ownership.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 04-14-2017 at 09:36 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
Does anyone elses fog light switch sometimes work and sometimes not work?
Does GM make bad switches?
GM makes bad everything. It is called cost engineering. But they designed our cars well. My car is not abused. It is not a DD...yet one of my fog light switches fails. (I have 2 on my bolster) It is something I do live with. No need to change it out.

Someone should begin a thread on all things that will go wrong and at what mileage. We put up with these annoyances and expense because we are nuts and love the way our car looks. It is surely not performance driven. It is the poor mans DREAM MACHINE. No one knows who the manufacturer is.

Last edited by marlboromike; 04-14-2017 at 10:24 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
175k miles between two cars, (101k on the '07 and 74k on the '08) with no switch failures.

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Switches that get used often have their wipers cleaned with every operation. They may er out, but they usually don't have contact issues.

Switches that almost never get used (and a Kappa driven only in good weather would include fog lights in that category) can have some high resistance issues on the contacts. Cycling on and off repeatedly can sometimes clean them up.

1957 Jamaican - MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Switches that get used often have their wipers cleaned with every operation. They may er out, but they usually don't have contact issues.

Switches that almost never get used (and a Kappa driven only in good weather would include fog lights in that category) can have some high resistance issues on the contacts. Cycling on and off repeatedly can sometimes clean them up.
This worked on my Cruise Control master arm switch. Didn't work at all at first but I just kept trying and finally got it on...then kept cycling it for a few weeks after that...mostly because I would accidently turn it off. After a while it cleaned up and now it works as it should.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
It is a constant problem. Another of my hobbies is high end audio. Rheostats usually self wipe if used even occasionally, but many preamps have separate resistor arrays that step volume a couple of dB apart and most of the listening is done in a narrow range. When they get dirty they crackle and make distressing sounds. The only way to clean them is to spray contact cleaner in, and unfortunately (for hobbyists if not for the environment) the most effective contact cleaners were based on Freon TF, now banned for some years.

KontaK audio cleaning fluid is relatively effective and legal.

1957 Jamaican - MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
This worked on my Cruise Control master arm switch. Didn't work at all at first but I just kept trying and finally got it on...then kept cycling it for a few weeks after that...mostly because I would accidently turn it off. After a while it cleaned up and now it works as it should.
Believe it or not, this may actually be happening with my fog light switch. I've taken my Sky out a few times at night this weekend and it seems to be working more often than not now since I've been turning it on and off a bunch of times. Hopefully this will eventually be a permanent fix as long as I use the switch.

However, not so much luck with my side mirror and door lock switches. I've been pushing on them a lot and they're still not working . A guy on eBay has a side mirror switch for $40 and another one has a door lock switch for $35. I'm not sure if I should keep trying mine to get them to work, or just pull the trigger and buy the ones on eBay.

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
On the idea's of self-wiping switches, I must protest! LOL

My, new to me coupe with 58K miles, has a turn signal lever that can't remember to return to the standard position. BUT, it gets lots of cleaning use as every time I turn I use the turn signals. And, it can just continue in its stupor, because I'm not going to remove the airbag and steering wheel to teach it a lesson. My brain will do just fine versus the expense to correct this little nuisance.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post

My, new to me coupe with 58K miles, has a turn signal lever that can't remember to return to the standard position. BUT, it gets lots of cleaning use as every time I turn I use the turn signals. And, it can just continue in its stupor, because I'm not going to remove the airbag and steering wheel to teach it a lesson. My brain will do just fine versus the expense to correct this little nuisance.
Well our turn signal levers must be related because mine won't go back to the Off position once clicked either. But from what I've read, it could be a simple fix (once you go through the headache of removing the airbag and steering wheel.

I'll probably have mine fixed if/when I visit my mechanic for something else.

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post

This is a common problem with that turn signal mechanism (it is used on various other GM cars besides ours). There is a metal piece inside the switch that gets bent over time.
Both of my Skys have had the same issue.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
I'll probably have mine fixed if/when I visit my mechanic for something else.
Please keep us posted on what the cost was. For now, I can't see my shop being less than $100 and that covers my extra garage for a month.

And, realizing about 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year between my SKY and the Coupe, I think I'm OK for now.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Garage
mmartin.

It seems all of your driver side switches are having problems, if memory serves me. Has the car been in an accident, is there a chance it could be a flood car? Have you taken any of the switches apart to see if there is debris in them? Just throwing out ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.