Saturn Sky Forum banner

Garage Door Opener

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  mstrjon32 
#1 ·
Hey All, since our cars are more than difficult to retrofit with Homelink, from what this and the Sostice forum taught me, I was baffled to where to put my garage door opener. It was always just clipped to front seat pocket, but after looking for a place to put it, I stuck it here ⬇

Who looks in the mirror anyway!:D

See less See more
#5 ·
I purchased a small black push button from Radio Shack. Drilled a 3/8 inch hole in the black inside windshield surround. If you take apart your garage remote and solder the leads from the remote to the Radio Shack button and then hot glue the remote circuit board to the backside of the surround, when you pop the surround back into place, you have a small clean black push button that looks OEM. Mine has been in place for 5 years and still looks factory. If the battery needs replacement it would take 10 min. to replace. I'll take pics and try to post today or tomorrow.

#6 ·
I borrowed this mod from TomatoSoup. Very easy to do.

Attachments

#10 ·
I too did the same as TS and wired it too a extra fuse that is only on with the key.

Looks OEM and safe no matter where the car is the opener DOES NOT work without the key on!

#7 ·
I've never liked keeping a garage door opener in the car because once they get into your car they are into your house as well. Especially easy to get into a convertible. There is a flat spot under the dash if you follow the steering colum which you could Velcro an opener to. Then you could take it with you when you want. Key chain opener is the best alternative but too bulky in my pocket. So I just get my ass out of the car and press the buttons. Sucks during the Florida rainy season.

#8 ·
I've been thinking about hacking the Epsilon HomeLink array from Aura/Malibu/G6.

I'd personally like to install it in the glovebox for added security. Power's right there, too.

#9 ·
Just like SallySky posted... you can get any used sunvisor homelink - plenty on eBay, or your local u-pull-it. Lots of different brand cars (US and foreign) use the exact same box.

Then mount it anywhere you like in your car, and supply it with an accessory 12V line. Will not be usable when the car's off, and cheap to buy.

#12 ·
ANY car that has a Homelink unit in the sunvisor. I trolled the local U-pull-it and found them in GM's, Chrysler's, Audi's, VW's, Volvo's etc. etc. The only differences are mounting plate shape, and color.

I seem to only recall the black-trim ones in Chrysler though (very few cars have black roof/headliners). But you could always use paint :)

Quite a few on eBay (though they seem expensive): http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk....TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhomelink&_nkw=homelink&_sacat=0

#14 ·
I just ordered one from a Porsche 911. The HomeLink modules themselves are basically identical - looking at a Porsche and GM module innards, same circuit board diagrams.

One thing I strongly suggest is to only use a power wire that is hot when the engine is actually running. This prevents someone from cutting your soft top, hitting the door unlock button (which powers up most of the car), and then opening your garage from a "locked" vehicle... silently.

I find car makers that rig their garage doors to a door-lock-triggered wire to be absolute idiots. You're giving people a guaranteed-freebie entry into someone's home without setting an alarm off in many cases.

I personally test each car's HomeLink and if the door unlock button juices up the homelink... it doesn't get coded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.