Saturn Sky Forum banner

Hail Damage!

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  miller11386 
#1 · (Edited)
Today we got hail really bad and my Redline fell victim to Mother Nature's fury.

I'm thinking instead of having the stock hood repaired I'd use the insurance money towards a RK Sport hood. I can get it from Summit Racing for $800 shipped and have my body shop buddy paint it for me.

I'm trying to turn this negative into a positive.

Now, what to do about the trunk? Just have it dentless repaired?

#2 ·
Ordered it!

#3 ·
Insurance will pay for the damage. You might want to take it in due to the fact that there could be a lot more than you can see. When our Ford F-150 got hit, it turned out to be $7000 worth of damage.

Hail is such a Pita

#4 ·
The adjuster is coming out to look at it next week. My wife's Volt got it on the hood, roof and hatch too. I was doing work in the garage so they were in the driveway when it came down.

#8 ·
If the RK Sport hood is the one that I'm thinking about, some ppl have had really bad fitment issues with it, namely uneven panel gaps. Do not paint it until you can test fit the new hood and see if the gaps are OK.

Yogi

#9 ·
Thanks for the warning. I'll pass the message to the body shop.

#14 ·
Thanks for the link. Good info about removing the hood from the hinges NOT removing the hinges from the car. I'll have to pass that to the body shop as well.

#13 ·
I hit some in Wiggins, Colorado many years ago. Destroyed a 54 Chev Belair Convertible I had just finished. Baseball sized, I don't think I was ever as sick about damage on a car. I have felt your pain. Normally no warning on the stuff. I ended up selling it to a collector in Kansas City, and bought a new 73 Vette. Not sure it was worth the trade.

I have thought about the RK hood, they are fairly close to me and can will call the stuff, I bought one of their rear spoilers and it has been exactly what I was looking for. The hood on the Blue car has some damage and was fixed, if it fails, that is the direction I am going to go also.

#15 ·
Sorry to hear about the hail damage. I heard the storm was pretty bad in some areas in Las Cruces. I repair hail damage and would encourage the paintless dent repair process on your vehicle as opposed to unnecessary paint and bondo. Would you please tell me what part of Las Cruces you were in when you got hit? I am trying to evaluate and track the storm path and it would really help me out. Thanks!

#16 ·
I'm in the lower Valley. Near the Field of Dreams.

#18 ·
My experience with hail damage is that you are going to find it did a lot more damage than you think. A good adjuster will point a lot of this out and if it was my car I would already have had it to a body shop and have an experienced body man look at it before the adjuster does, then point out what he doesn't see. If it was a serious storm, and it sounds like it was, look closely on the side of the vehicle that was facing the direction of the hail. Small dents in the doors, quarter fenders, and even the windshield frame are most likely evident. These things will show up once you go to the body shop and if not documented it may be a problem getting insurance to cover.

#19 ·
Body shop is looking at it Monday before the adjuster.

#21 ·
Shop has the hood fit and ready to paint. I' told I should have it next week. They're also going to spray the 3M clear bra on the front part of the hood to help protect it.

#22 ·
VinnieRL, I am in the same position. shop fitted the hood today. I lucked out. The sales guy had seen my car at Temecula Tuesday a couple of months ago, had asked to see the engine compartment. How it came up, no idea. They did my hood in a single day. He said he would rush it. So it is on the car, having the bottom painted semi gloss black, as am wrapping the whole car.

Still want the hood, but man that is a big assed box!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.