Has GM fixed their fender shortage? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Has GM fixed their fender shortage?

I admit I have been a bit out of touch with this forum, but had an incident today that caused me to jump back in. After 3-years for bringing my sky to the same dealership, they finally succeeded in cracking my fender when lifting the car. This happened even after providing them with the TSB on the lift points. I caught the problem before leaving the dealership so they really have nothing they can do but fix it now.

What has surprised me is that they said they could get a fender in a 1 day. Frankly, I did not believe it, so I called a competing dealership who said the same thing. Is this just blowing smoke to make me go away for the time being, or has GM actually started producing and stocking these fenders?
Monsoon Stereo
5-Speed Manual
Yorktown Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

there is no body parts shortage IMO.... I got a hood in 2 days.

if there is demand, people will make them
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback..that is encouraging.

Fenders were a very big problem not long ago, many posts about national backorder at GM and the only way to get them was from ICS or DDM. More demand than supply. Hopefully that has been corrected. Will see what happens on Monday, since I have an appointment to bring it to the dealer's body shop the next day so they can install, paint, clear coat etc the new fender.
Monsoon Stereo
5-Speed Manual
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. They are probably being honest telling you 1 day, but that is their regular experience when ordering parts for other models/makes.

For your sake, I hope they are right. Keep us informed!

BTW, ICS is now Source One Auto Parts. They should still have pre-painted fenders for the Sky.
2006 Solstice NA #000741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know my front bumper was shipped out from GM in 3 days which was great. I thought there would be a long delay/search for one when I ordered the part online.

I have the cars entire metal body panels in storage, I got a good price on them all and who knows if I'll ever need them, but they'll always have resale I figure.

Engine:
RPi Exhaust, SOLO HF Cat, DDM IC Pipes, GMPP CAI
GMPP & Trifecta Tuned

Suspension:
LVKFB, DDM Probeam, DDM Extreme Backbone

Misc:
Crux Bluetooth BEEBG-25
JW-Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
I bought the last two right fenders. They had more lefts
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

I will keep you posted and I do have my doubts...I think the 1 day is the standard answer they have. But I did see a post that mentioned GM had contracted with someone to make the fenders...we will see.

What is criminal is how many of these are getting broken by dealerships that should know better. Going forward they are not working on the car unless they use the alignment rack and I get to personally watch them.
Monsoon Stereo
5-Speed Manual
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
I don't know about the fenders, but when I got rear-ended a couple of months ago, my dealership had no trouble getting a new rear-bumper cover right away.
Opel GT Antenna
Headlight Eyelids
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
mbeardsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

As an update, I just got a call from the GM dealership that the fender came in. I have learned from my experience not to count my chickens before they are hatched, so will update when I actually bring the sky in for the body shop appt tomorrow.

If this all works out the way I hope, then GM does appear to have their fender shortage fixed.

Will let you know how things turn out. Thanks to all who provided feedback.
Monsoon Stereo
5-Speed Manual
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorktown Tony View Post
As an update, I just got a call from the GM dealership that the fender came in. I have learned from my experience not to count my chickens before they are hatched, so will update when I actually bring the sky in for the body shop appt tomorrow.

If this all works out the way I hope, then GM does appear to have their fender shortage fixed.

Will let you know how things turn out. Thanks to all who provided feedback.
Let us hope so, because last time I tried to order a fender, I had to supply the money, and waited 3 months. The fender never came and I got my money back. Ended up ordering from DDM.. Also be careful that they don't try to "fix" the cracked one. Have them show you the new fender..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
Let us hope so, because last time I tried to order a fender, I had to supply the money, and waited 3 months. The fender never came and I got my money back. Ended up ordering from DDM.. Also be careful that they don't try to "fix" the cracked one. Have them show you the new fender..
Good advice.

Sad that this has come to this, but it also very sad when you provide the TSB with the lift points to the service advisor, explain the issues with lifting the car and he gives you the ole.."we work on these cars all the time, we know what we are doing" answer, and cracks the fender anyway. To make it worse, they leave it to the customer to discover that the fender has been cracked.
Monsoon Stereo
5-Speed Manual
Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorktown Tony View Post
Good advice.

Sad that this has come to this, but it also very sad when you provide the TSB with the lift points to the service advisor, explain the issues with lifting the car and he gives you the ole.."we work on these cars all the time, we know what we are doing" answer, and cracks the fender anyway. To make it worse, they leave it to the customer to discover that the fender has been cracked.
And THAT is because my good friend, honor AND honesty has disappeared and become extinct from many in this country...

IF you would have driven away with the damage, YOU would of been SOL because YOU can't prove that it DID happen in their possession..ALWAYS ALWAYS check your car when you pick it up, just like they check your car for body damage (ie: dents, scratches and dings) when you bring it in..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

or go to a shop like ddm work werks. They actually know about how our cars work, and dont make those kinds of mistakes. I will never take my car to a dealer ever again.. both times were nightmares, and not even worth the "free" warranty repair IMO
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

So the next question is:

Since GM has now sourced the fenders, have they also changed the mold for the bottom mounting bracket? Is the material thicker at that point now? Or are they still building the same fricken thing that breaks if you look at it cross-eyed?
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Feedback

I took MidniteBlues' advice and had them show me the part and after waiting 30 minutes for the Body Shop Manager to get to work, they did unbox a brand new primered fender in front of me.

He mentioned that Martinsville, VA had 16 on hand. I assume that is the location of the Distribution Center. Also found out at least one dealership in Missouri stocks the part. Based on this, I would have to say the fender shortage has been resolved.

Whether they have reinforced the fender to prevent repeated damage is unknown, I will take a look when I get the sky back tomorrow, but not sure I will really be able to tell.

Once this saga is over, I will be looking for a new place in the Hampton Roads VA area to bring my SKY..it is not going back to these guys.
Monsoon Stereo
5-Speed Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion