Has GM fixed their fender shortage? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Final update

Got the sky back late yesterday. They did a pretty good job from what I can tell. I looked closely at the replacement fender and honestly, I don't think there is any reinforcement at the attachment points where the fender normally cracks. So same fender with the same problems.


Thanks to all for your advice.

2008 Silver Pearl Sky
Redline
Black Top
Monsoon Stereo
5-Speed Manual
Yorktown Tony is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
MidniteBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorktown Tony View Post
Got the sky back late yesterday. They did a pretty good job from what I can tell. I looked closely at the replacement fender and honestly, I don't think there is any reinforcement at the attachment points where the fender normally cracks. So same fender with the same problems.


Thanks to all for your advice.
Just curious, what was the list price for the fender? sometimes they say it on the invoice..

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
GS Stage 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorktown Tony View Post
Got the sky back late yesterday. They did a pretty good job from what I can tell. I looked closely at the replacement fender and honestly, I don't think there is any reinforcement at the attachment points where the fender normally cracks. So same fender with the same problems.


Thanks to all for your advice.
Not that I am shocked they haven't upgraded the part to address the weak points, but I am disappointed.

Glad you got your car back.

And really glad they seem to making fenders again.
GS Stage 1 is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
MidniteBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
Not that I am shocked they haven't upgraded the part to address the weak points, but I am disappointed.

Glad you got your car back.

And really glad they seem to making fenders again.
IF they are charging the over $200 like they were asking last year when I tried to order one, I would just go with DDM's fenders since they are reinforced some down there...

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They did not pay retail for the fender, so not sure exactly what they paid. When I was researching the fender availability I believe the quotes were around 300 dollars. If I was paying for this myself I would have gone with DDM, less money and a product that is reinforced.

2008 Silver Pearl Sky
Redline
Black Top
Monsoon Stereo
5-Speed Manual
Yorktown Tony is offline  
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Administrator
 
Bogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 5,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
IF they are charging the over $200 like they were asking last year when I tried to order one, I would just go with DDM's fenders since they are reinforced some down there...
I'll defer to DDM on their particular design, but note in general that making a non load bearing part stronger at the failure point is not always better. The load doesn't go away, it's carried by the entire fender structure, its side attachment points, and the screws and sheet metal attachments. If the contact point does not fail, and the load is allowed to increase beyond the load capability of the other points, then failure will occur at those points.

There might also be partial failure stresses, such as ballooning or deformation of the fender and/or any of the associated contact points.

Again, this is just a general observation. NOT an assessment of DDM's fender design, or any other fender...other than the OEM version...which we already know (based on observation) appears to fail before anything else.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
Bogie is offline  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Darkwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
I'll defer to DDM on their particular design, but note in general that making a non load bearing part stronger at the failure point is not always better. The load doesn't go away, it's carried by the entire fender structure, its side attachment points, and the screws and sheet metal attachments. If the contact point does not fail, and the load is allowed to increase beyond the load capability of the other points, then failure will occur at those points.

There might also be partial failure stresses, such as ballooning or deformation of the fender and/or any of the associated contact points.

Again, this is just a general observation. NOT an assessment of DDM's fender design, or any other fender...other than the OEM version...which we already know (based on observation) appears to fail before anything else.
While reinforcing the load bearing point will not make the load go away, it will decrease the total load on other attachment points. This is due to the fact that the reinforced area and the immediate surounding area starting at the fastening point, if done correctly, will reduce the total overall dead load applied to the other attachment points.

Edit: This is of course assuming that the plane of weakness isn't shifted to a more vulnerable area than there was in the beginning as Bogie stated.

Got it:

2008 Sky Redline
Black Onyx Red/Black Leather
Single Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
3 Pedals
Picked up 9/04/07

Last edited by Darkwing; 04-30-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Darkwing is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 3,547
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Since we have drifted into mechanical engineering . . .

My observation is that cracking is a result of two different mechanisms. One is interfearance when lifting. I dont see any viable improvement in the overall design making the fenders able to accept the lifting load.

The second source of cracking is apparently vibration due to weakness at the lower attachment point. Reinforcement is likely to help reduce or eliminate vibration induced cracking
Rob the Elder is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Darkwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
Since we have drifted into mechanical engineering . . .

My observation is that cracking is a result of two different mechanisms. One is interfearance when lifting. I dont see any viable improvement in the overall design making the fenders able to accept the lifting load.

The second source of cracking is apparently vibration due to weakness at the lower attachment point. Reinforcement is likely to help reduce or eliminate vibration induced cracking
So it all comes down to vibrations and cracks.

Got it:

2008 Sky Redline
Black Onyx Red/Black Leather
Single Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
3 Pedals
Picked up 9/04/07
Darkwing is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
MidniteBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 7,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
So it all comes down to vibrations and cracks.
ACTUALLY it IS putting stress weights on the lifting points by IMPROPERLY lifting the car..IE thereby needing hockey pucks (or other means) to alleviating putting weight OR any stress on the lifting points..
Most damage happens because the tech makes CONTACT on the fender while lifting our kappas..

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Darkwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
ACTUALLY it IS putting stress weights on the lifting points by IMPROPERLY lifting the car..IE thereby needing hockey pucks (or other means) to alleviating putting weight OR any stress on the lifting points..
Most damage happens because the tech makes CONTACT on the fender while lifting our kappas..
Improper lifting will damage any car. I recall seeing a guy alongside the interstate trying to change a tire in one of those old cars with the slotted bumpers by trying to place the hook intended for the bumper under the lip of the wheel well opening. You're right though because the authorized service facility should be smarter than that dumazz was.

Got it:

2008 Sky Redline
Black Onyx Red/Black Leather
Single Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
3 Pedals
Picked up 9/04/07
Darkwing is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Member
 
captjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Can you guys tell me how to find DDM? I searched and found DDM Tuning. My body shop replaced a right fender my wife damaged on a curb last may and the part was $281. She did it again and now the part is $467!

'08 Yellow Sky Redline- Etched w/LED WindRestrictor
Rides in the Back of my 2013 Voltage Toy Hauler =)
captjohn is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
44thSKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: FH, AZ
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by captjohn View Post
Can you guys tell me how to find DDM? I searched and found DDM Tuning. My body shop replaced a right fender my wife damaged on a curb last may and the part was $281. She did it again and now the part is $467!
Is this fender part the panel and removable piece behind each front wheel, left and right side?

Unless I've not looked close enough, I believe anything in front of the front wheels would be part of the entire front bumper assembly.
44thSKY is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Member
 
captjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybus View Post
Is this fender part the panel and removable piece behind each front wheel, left and right side?

Unless I've not looked close enough, I believe anything in front of the front wheels would be part of the entire front bumper assembly.
Yes, it's the panel you remove to replace the battery between door and wheel on the right side.

'08 Yellow Sky Redline- Etched w/LED WindRestrictor
Rides in the Back of my 2013 Voltage Toy Hauler =)
captjohn is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 3,547
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DDMWorks.com

DDMWorks - Automotive Performance Specialists

Talk with Ivy or Dave
Rob the Elder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome