Hood-vents? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
marbling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sweden,Europe
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hood-vents?

Is it possible to remove the Hood-vents without breaking them?
marbling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yes it is. You will need to remove the hood liner to access the clips on the bottom side (They will most likely break but not a big problem) be careful not to tear the liner when removing the push plugs that hold the liner on. Your local auto parts store has a handy little tool that will remove the push plugs with out tearing the liner. Once clips are removed use a heat gun or hair dryer and start on one end and heat and gently ply. There is 2 sided tape holding them on and a little gentle constant pulling will remove them. If you which to reinstall take a very small bead of RTV about the 1/8 in diameter and then use a weight to hold them down over night and they will stay in place. Don't over do it on the RTV as it will ooze out the sides and show.
Hoosier GXP is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
marbling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sweden,Europe
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ThanksI`ll try that.
marbling is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier GXP View Post
Yes it is. You will need to remove the hood liner to access the clips on the bottom side (They will most likely break but not a big problem) be careful not to tear the liner when removing the push plugs that hold the liner on. Your local auto parts store has a handy little tool that will remove the push plugs with out tearing the liner. Once clips are removed use a heat gun or hair dryer and start on one end and heat and gently ply. There is 2 sided tape holding them on and a little gentle constant pulling will remove them. If you which to reinstall take a very small bead of RTV about the 1/8 in diameter and then use a weight to hold them down over night and they will stay in place. Don't over do it on the RTV as it will ooze out the sides and show.
He is in Sweden
Rob the Elder is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbling View Post
Is it possible to remove the Hood-vents without breaking them?
We have had ours out several times. One potential issue is after they are removed and reinserted they may pull up in the center. There is a thread about heat soaking them in hot water and recurving them to address this.
Rob the Elder is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
He is in Sweden
pretty sure the same procedure will work in Sweden also.
Hoosier GXP is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier GXP View Post
pretty sure the same procedure will work in Sweden also.
True... But it's a long trip to your local parts store
Rob the Elder is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
27rings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southwest, Florida
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Tammy used to have vents stamped "Saturn Performance" or "Saturn Motorsports." I think they were functional (??) and looked better than stock.

Anyone know where these are available for sale? Aftermarket or actually produced by Saturn?"

2009 Ruby Red SE
Mods are getting expensive
www.kronus.us
27rings is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Supporting Vendor
 
Dave@ddmworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27rings View Post
Tammy used to have vents stamped "Saturn Performance" or "Saturn Motorsports." I think they were functional (??) and looked better than stock.

Anyone know where these are available for sale? Aftermarket or actually produced by Saturn?"
They were aftermarket made by a company called "Saturn Motorsports", I do not think they are around anymore. We have a car here that has them installed and have had several cars come in with them. The biggest issue we have had with them is that they are machined from a flat piece of aluminum and do not have the curve of the hood. They are held in with 2 screws, one at each end, and we have had those screws come out and cause the vent to pop up at one end a couple times. A small welding tack took care of the issue for us.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
JohnWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Mine were removed by the body shop when they repainted the hood. They now pull up on the ends on hot sunny days. And they got carried away with the RTV.
Quote:
Rob the Elder : True... But it's a long trip to your local parts store
You don't think that Sweden has parts stores ?

John - Formerly known as JRinKY
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
JohnWR is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Mine were removed by the body shop when they repainted the hood. They now pull up on the ends on hot sunny days. And they got carried away with the RTV.

You don't think that Sweden has parts stores ?
Isn't Sweden where they really dig the old Detroit behemoths?
Sky_Pilot is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
gladmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
Isn't Sweden where they really dig the old Detroit behemoths?
They do in Cuba because they can't get anything else.

2008 Bluestone Sky Redline
Venom Brace
Backbone Brace
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
Trifecta tune
gladmaker is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
marbling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sweden,Europe
Posts: 1,425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes,we have Auto-stores over hereI`m gonna remove the vents, and wrap my hood with vinyl,and then they are going back on again.
marbling is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome