I overheated today.... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I overheated today....

My coolant idiot lamp came on while parked this afternoon returning home from Phoenix so I paged over to the temp and it was at 261! I turned the engine off and let it sit until the temp went down to 200 and then started it up. Oh yeah, i was in Blythe, ambient was about 58. I started back home and watched the temp. It stayed between 194 and 200 until i hit traffic (due to an idiot rolling his SUV on the 10 outside of Palm Springs) and the temp crept back up up. At 250 i pulled off the side of the freeway until the temp went back down and the freeway started moving again (about 45 mins later). Back on the road again the temp went back down and remained in the "norm" range until I arrived back home. I did not leak anything, but the temp is still an issue.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide App
Sky_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
It stayed between 194 and 200 until i hit traffic (due to an idiot rolling his SUV on the 10 outside of Palm Springs) and the temp crept back up up.
I'm going to guess your waterpump isn't working well at or near idle. If it happens again, put in neutral and rev to 2500. See how that affects temp.
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

It was replaced a couple of months ago. *scratchin' head*
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
In the fuse box check the 60a big yellow fuse.
This is the fan fuse.
Make sure all relays and fuses are push in tight.
LLLFLY

Cooling/Radiator Fan Codes...
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor

Last edited by lllfly; 01-06-2013 at 05:07 AM.
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
bob
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mine temp was reading 237 and it turned out to be a bad coolant cap. It let air seep into the system. I'd start there. It's only a $14 part.

Red Leather
Auto
Chrome
6-Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
GMPP TUNE
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I sorta agree with bob, however it could just be air in the system and the cap is alright, especially since you replaced the pump a bit ago. I would do the "air bubble" procedure to get the air out, check the fluid level to make sure it is where it should be and go from there.. (Also, I would not eliminate the new water pump, it wouldn't be the first time you could of got a defective one)..
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its the fan guys. Think about it. As air is forced over the radiator from driving temps stay down. While standing still, the fan fails to turn on and the car over heats. This had nothing to do with air in the system.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monadzback View Post
Its the fan guys. Think about it. As air is forced over the radiator from driving temps stay down. While standing still, the fan fails to turn on and the car over heats. This had nothing to do with air in the system.
I agree and disagree with ya at the same time. We have had fans working OK, but yet over heating.. PLUS if the fan was bad, it would over heating IMO at all times..I think Both should be looked at however..
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

On both of our Redlines: The fan will not turn on, unless sitting at idle for quite some time and engine temp gets up to about 210-220ish (and typically even sitting at idle won't do it, unless it is very warm outside. Or after some spirited driving, then the fan will kick on when sitting at idle) Or if you turn on the A/C. Typically when driving, the amount of air passing through the radiator will prevent coolant temp from getting high enough to command the fan.

This is the easiest way to check and see if the fan is cycling correctly. Open the hood. Start the car. Observe the fan with the A/C off. Assuming engine temp is still below 210, then fan should not be on. Then turn on the A/C and the fan should immediately turn on: the fan is automatically commanded as part of the A/C control circuit.

If you can observe the fan being commanded by the A/C turned on: Then do this test: After the car has sat idling and temperature has gone up above 220 and pushing 230. And you open the hood to see the fan is not on: Then turn on the A/C, if the fan comes on and your coolant temperature goes down. Then you know the fan is working but something is wrong with the fan command circuit for temperature command.

Last edited by GS Stage 1; 01-06-2013 at 01:43 PM.
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
I agree and disagree with ya at the same time. We have had fans working OK, but yet over heating.. PLUS if the fan was bad, it would over heating IMO at all times..I think Both should be looked at however..
Sorry man, but you are wrong. Air in the system causes over heating due to the water pump cavitation. No water gets pumped so it would over heat with the fan on or off. His ONLY over heats while standing still. That means the fan isn't working for some reason. Driving conditions keep enough air flowing over the radiator without the fan.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Generally speaking, I agree with you Monadzback:

However: I have experienced an air bubble in the system causing coolant temps to rise quicker while at idle.

In my case: In the middle of summer with at least 90 degree outside temps. I had an air bubble in the system. And when sitting at a stop light, coolant temperature would rise to quickly. My theory is that the air bubble would get stuck on the thermostat and prevent the thermostat from recognizing the need to open further because of increased coolant temperature. Coolant temp in my car would rise from 200ish to 225ish during one cycle of a stoplight. After I purged the air bubble, this problem went away and never came back. Now the car sits at about 195 and in the middle of the summer it may go up to about 205 at the most, during one cycle of a stoplight.

Based upon the description posted in the OP of this thread. I agree with you that the most likely culprit is a malfunctioning fan or fan circuit. For the temp to rise that drastically, while idling, in the winter definitely suggests either bad fan or possibly a bad thermostat that is only opening partially (a partially opening thermostat can still allow enough flow while driving to adequately cool the temps, but not allow enough flow while at idle to adequately cool).
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

I recommend two things:

1. Check to make sure the radiator fan is coming on like it is supposed to. Check its fuse. Check under the hood and verify that you can see and hear the fan turning.

2. If you have not already installed the 2 one-way check valves in the cooling system, purchased them and install them, or bring it to a service department that you trust to do it.

My car used to start to overheat when sitting and idling. The fan was working but I think there were bubble in the system that would cause the water pump to stop pumping water. Installed the check valves and everything has been fine since.

Previous:
2013 Ford Focus ST
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2004 Chevy Impala LS (Turboed)
1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88
1987 Buick SkyHawk
SkyAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sooo, with the Sky engine running, i turned the a/c on and nada... NO fan comes on.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
My green Sky had the same issue and although there were alot of electrical issues with that sky.. the fuse was bad and I had to change it several times.... not sure if it was just the fuse or the issues with all the electrical. Its worth a try. SkyBaby
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaby View Post
My green Sky had the same issue and although there were alot of electrical issues with that sky.. the fuse was bad and I had to change it several times.... not sure if it was just the fuse or the issues with all the electrical. Its worth a try. SkyBaby
Checking/replacing the fuse is probably a good place to start. I'll try that shortly. Gotta tell y'all that being stuck in the middle of the desert between LA and Phoenix is not the ideal way to end a short vacation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion