Interior Rattles, squeeks and vibrating sounds and the bumper 2 bumper warranty - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Interior Rattles, squeeks and vibrating sounds and the bumper 2 bumper warranty

Having driven my 40k mile saturn sky the last week or so and doing a bit of highway driving and getting to know her (about 500 miles) I have come to the realization that they did not put the interiors together very well on these cars.. I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday since it has the Bumper to bumper warranty through the CPO program. On the phone GM told me it carries the same weight as a new car warranty bumper to bumper warranty but is only good for a year which is why I brought it in. The GM dealer doesn't seem to agree..

My list of things I brought the car in for:

1. Handle loose on the top latch.. banging on the ceiling.
2. Drover window hits the convertible top and is fraying it. Also water leaks into the door and it pours out when I open the door in the morning (I have a slightly sloped driveway)
3. There's a clunking noise that feels like it's above my feet when going over bumps. In addition to that there's a squeek in the same area that sounds like a metal bracket loose or something.
4. There is a constant vibrating noise that the car makes depending on what kind of road I'm driving on. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger dashboard area.. not the glove box or any trim pieces I grab make it stop. It's like there's a piece of plastic or something sitting on top of a panel somewhere.

Oh.. and the front brakes like to pull side to side at various times in bumper to bumper traffic.

Anyway.. long story short the service guy told me the "limited" extended warranty that they sell with the certified preowned will likely not cover any of that and they asked to keep my car a few days to diagnose it..

Oh.. on top of that they said I will be likely paying a $75 diagnostic fee so I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership today after GM calls them to check on the status of the car..

Has anyone has any issues with all these rattles and creaks, etc... and more importantly the dealership trying to de-value the warranty overall? The interior issues are defects or build quality issues and I was extremely upset that they told me that stuff is not covered. I've only had it a week in my possession!
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

You'll have to search the fora (here or SolsticeForum.com) for answers to many of these as I don't have bookmarks ready. Better still, just use google and put solstice or sky in the search term...

1. Handle loose on the top latch.. banging on the ceiling. Seen this before on the fora, but don't recall the answer. Do a search.
2. Drover window hits the convertible top and is fraying it. Common. Either the roof or the window needs adjustment. See: Top - Window Edge Wear - Pontiac Solstice Forum Also water leaks into the door and it pours out when I open the door in the morning (I have a slightly sloped driveway) You'll have to be more descriptive about where it comes in and/or where it gathers.
3. There's a clunking noise that feels like it's above my feet when going over bumps. In addition to that there's a squeek in the same area that sounds like a metal bracket loose or something. Probably the squeak (at least) is the sway bar bushing. Dealerships will replace them, or others have just lubed them with dielectric grease, still other have replaced with poly bushings. Or you can live with it 'til warm weather comes back and it may well go away See: Suspension Squeaks - Pontiac Solstice Forum
4. There is a constant vibrating noise that the car makes depending on what kind of road I'm driving on. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger dashboard area.. not the glove box or any trim pieces I grab make it stop. It's like there's a piece of plastic or something sitting on top of a panel somewhere. Sorry, can't help here.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oops, sorry I should have mentioned I looked all these up and saw where dealerships had been good about correcting the issues.. I was more or less venting and seeing if anyone has had issues like these and the dealer had helped or didn't' want to cover it under warranty.

I guess the worse case is I spend $75 for them to tell me what I will be fixing myself when I get it back lol
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

i love my Sky, turning 6yrs old next month but few things scream "cheap!" more than this car's interior.

I get random rattles here and there, but just like the suddenly come they suddenly leave. How in the world can they go into production with the lock button and windshield wiper lever backwards is still a mystery to me.
NYRhockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
1. Handle loose on the top latch..

Two possible solutions come to mind. An earlier thread on the Sol side described a similar issue that was fixed by pulling the trim off the handle and tightening up the attachment bolt. If the issue is the spring loosing its tension and allowing the handle to drop and then vibrate that would require replacing the handle. They are in stock at GM and not terribly expensive.

2. Drover window hits the convertible top and is fraying it.
As Soup said . .. the window is adjustable in cant ( inward angle), travel (height) and angle (fore and aft angle) There is a well documented procedure for performing the adjustment of the window glass so it fits the top properly. Also make sure you read the thread about lubricating the joint over the window to preclude sticking and to ensure proper deployment of the top.

3. There's a clunking noise that feels like it's above my feet when going over bumps. It is possible that the dash has been removed or a foreign body found its way into it. It is somewhat tedious but not difficult at all to pull the center console, the forward console and the lower dash trim (above the drivers knees) which will give you access to that area so you can determine what is causing the problem.

4. There is a constant vibrating noise that the car makes depending on what kind of road I'm driving on. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger dashboard area.. not the glove box or any trim pieces I grab make it stop. It's like there's a piece of plastic or something sitting on top of a panel somewhere. Again, its not terribly difficult to remove the glovebox cover and glovebox. Even the airbag is not a great challenge to remove. Removing some of all of this hardware will give you access to the inside of the dash in the area of concern.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
1. Handle loose on the top latch..

Two possible solutions come to mind. An earlier thread on the Sol side described a similar issue that was fixed by pulling the trim off the handle and tightening up the attachment bolt. If the issue is the spring loosing its tension and allowing the handle to drop and then vibrate that would require replacing the handle. They are in stock at GM and not terribly expensive.

2. Drover window hits the convertible top and is fraying it.
As Soup said . .. the window is adjustable in cant ( inward angle), travel (height) and angle (fore and aft angle) There is a well documented procedure for performing the adjustment of the window glass so it fits the top properly. Also make sure you read the thread about lubricating the joint over the window to preclude sticking and to ensure proper deployment of the top.

3. There's a clunking noise that feels like it's above my feet when going over bumps. It is possible that the dash has been removed or a foreign body found its way into it. It is somewhat tedious but not difficult at all to pull the center console, the forward console and the lower dash trim (above the drivers knees) which will give you access to that area so you can determine what is causing the problem.

4. There is a constant vibrating noise that the car makes depending on what kind of road I'm driving on. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger dashboard area.. not the glove box or any trim pieces I grab make it stop. It's like there's a piece of plastic or something sitting on top of a panel somewhere. Again, its not terribly difficult to remove the glovebox cover and glovebox. Even the airbag is not a great challenge to remove. Removing some of all of this hardware will give you access to the inside of the dash in the area of concern.
Great this makes me feel much better in case I'm patching this thing back together myself.

I got the call from the dealer today.. they found that my driver's seat track was defective (causes the seat to squeek and move a lot) and they are replacing the seat track under warranty. Everything else is still up in the air and they are "working with GM" to see what they will cover or not.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

The top handle may be loose because the pivot pin has backed out. The pin can back out until it is only engaging one side of the yoke, and that will let it move around. I held the handle straight and drove the pin back in with a hammer and pin punch.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well guys, I'm extremely disappointed in GM.. I'm really confused how they boast that the CPO 1 year Bumper to bumper is like the new car bumper to bumper but they don't cover any "Adjustments" to known issues lol.

They are saying the rattling in the center console isn't covered under the Bumper to bumper warranty.

The window adjustment isn't covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.

The latch handle isn't covered under the bumper to bumper warranty

They haven't decided on the front brakes or the noise under the dash or on the other side of the firewall. So they keep my car another day.

Let the fun begin..
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it is any consolation to you, I find my Sky to be very noisy on the interior. In contrast, my older, higher mileage Cadillac CTS-V (58K miles) is silent in the interior. There are many squeaks and rattles in the Saturn. Most annoying of all is the sound of the high-pressure fuel pump. BUT, none of these are audible when the top is down, which is 90% of the time that I am driving the car.

My recommendation is fix the problems you have yourself, put the top down, and forget about it!
mstrjon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
If it is any consolation to you, I find my Sky to be very noisy on the interior. In contrast, my older, higher mileage Cadillac CTS-V (58K miles) is silent in the interior. There are many squeaks and rattles in the Saturn. Most annoying of all is the sound of the high-pressure fuel pump. BUT, none of these are audible when the top is down, which is 90% of the time that I am driving the car.

My recommendation is fix the problems you have yourself, put the top down, and forget about it!

Best recommendation yet!! I am just miffed I brought it in just for them to tell me my bumper to bumper warranty isn't worth a damn and it's $75 to get my car back. All the while It's probably sitting outside getting rained on.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
mstrjon32 - I am KB V on the other forum. We have an 08 Sky and an 06 V (new to us this year). FWIW the V has a drivers side dash rattle, a sunroof rattle and a rear suspension squeak.

As to the squeaks and rattles on the Sky - I've tracked at least two of them: when the cup holders are out, you have a rattle...also, the chrome ring on the dash rubs - I ended up putting a little glue behind it to stop the rattle.
skyvueredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvueredline View Post
mstrjon32 - I am KB V on the other forum. We have an 08 Sky and an 06 V (new to us this year). FWIW the V has a drivers side dash rattle, a sunroof rattle and a rear suspension squeak.

As to the squeaks and rattles on the Sky - I've tracked at least two of them: when the cup holders are out, you have a rattle...also, the chrome ring on the dash rubs - I ended up putting a little glue behind it to stop the rattle.
You have excellent taste in cars, sir!

I had some suspension noise in the front end of the V but it was solved by replacing the sway bar bushings and tightening the upper strut mounts. If I must admit: very, very rarely I will hear a bit of a squeak from below the drivers seat, but it's so infrequent (maybe I hear it once a month?) that I forget it's there. The Saturn makes an epic racket in comparison. I can't even begin to describe all the places that make noise. But, I have low expectations for any soft-top roadster so I'm just not bothered by it.

There is a lot of good information on the V on cadillacfourms.com, maybe I will see you over there.
mstrjon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
Well guys, I'm extremely disappointed in GM.. I'm really confused how they boast that the CPO 1 year Bumper to bumper is like the new car bumper to bumper but they don't cover any "Adjustments" to known issues lol.

They are saying the rattling in the center console isn't covered under the Bumper to bumper warranty.

The window adjustment isn't covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.

The latch handle isn't covered under the bumper to bumper warranty

They haven't decided on the front brakes or the noise under the dash or on the other side of the firewall. So they keep my car another day.

Let the fun begin..
Any frustration caused by these issues is certainly understandable. Please keep us posted on the final status of the dealer appointment. If you would like, send a PM and I can review the situation. Please include the VIN#, your contact information, and concerns. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
Any frustration caused by these issues is certainly understandable. Please keep us posted on the final status of the dealer appointment. If you would like, send a PM and I can review the situation. Please include the VIN#, your contact information, and concerns. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
Thanks, I sent you a PM with my VIN and the basic history of purchasing this vehicle 2 1/2 weeks ago.

This dealership has had my car since Monday so I will hopefully know what their final prognosis is sometime today on the rest of the problems I found.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Update -- the noise by my feet which clunks and squeaks is the hood latch assembly on the driver's side. The dealership says it needs to be replaced all together. I did some searches and on the solstice forum it's a common item to squeek but not make the clunking that mine makes, so I guess that's why they want to replace it. (not covered in the bumper 2 bumper warranty)

The noise in the center console is the cup holder making noise internally - they want to replace it for $279 (not covered in the warranty)

While looking at the other noises I was complaining about - they found that my door striker has the known issue with it making the door rattle. I actually noticed this a few times driving the car but I just thought it was the convertible top when it was down.. anyway - they say that's not covered under warranty ether and want $92 for that..

It looks like I am fixing the rest myself, just happy the majority of the problems are taken care of for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion