Interior Rattles, squeeks and vibrating sounds and the bumper 2 bumper warranty - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
Update -- the noise by my feet which clunks and squeaks is the hood latch assembly on the driver's side. The dealership says it needs to be replaced all together. I did some searches and on the solstice forum it's a common item to squeek but not make the clunking that mine makes, so I guess that's why they want to replace it. (not covered in the bumper 2 bumper warranty)

The noise in the center console is the cup holder making noise internally - they want to replace it for $279 (not covered in the warranty)

While looking at the other noises I was complaining about - they found that my door striker has the known issue with it making the door rattle. I actually noticed this a few times driving the car but I just thought it was the convertible top when it was down.. anyway - they say that's not covered under warranty ether and want $92 for that..

It looks like I am fixing the rest myself, just happy the majority of the problems are taken care of for now.
The center cupholder is held in by four tabs. On the 09 model year, there is also one screw. On pre 09 cars, you can insert a panel tool (flat plastic pry bar) and release the four tabs and pull it out relatively easily. Then you can refurbish it yourself. Make sure that all the joints are properly engaged and put some lube on the under side where the curved part slides inside the retraction mechanism. if worse comes to worse and you decide to replace it, it is as easy as sliding a new unit into the hole till it pops into place and you are done. crate engine depot can get you a new cupholder for something like $110

There is a lenghty post on the Sol forum that includes instructions and pictures on two methods for repairing the door striker plate.

Popping, Snapping or Itching Type Noise When Driving Over Rough Roads (Replace Door S - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Basically you can use a punch and peen the mechanism to stop motion and ratteling or you can dissassemble it and repair the attachment points.

As to the window / top problem, here is a thread I contributed multiple references to in 2010. You should be able to find the instructions for adjusting the window there . Its in the shop manual and not difficult to do, just time consuming as you have to remove the door inner panel in order to get at the adjustment points.

Top - Window Edge Wear - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
Update -- the noise by my feet which clunks and squeaks is the hood latch assembly on the driver's side. The dealership says it needs to be replaced all together. I did some searches and on the solstice forum it's a common item to squeek but not make the clunking that mine makes, so I guess that's why they want to replace it. (not covered in the bumper 2 bumper warranty)
Rats, RtE beat me to it for most of your issues.

However for this one, again a bogus response by the dealer. I would try simply adjusting the striker screws on the hood. Screw them out a bit at a time until all the slack is out but the hood still latches. That should stop any rattle and squeak. At least try that first... if it doesn't cure it, then fork out money to your Dealer.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Excellent suggestion. I personally have not seen problems with the latches
Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Rob, thanks for the information! I think I will be pulling the cup holder out and doing something else with that spot. I've already decided to get the cup holder center console from DDM, which will be my first mod along with the HPFP insulator (if you can even call either of those mods)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Rats, RtE beat me to it for most of your issues.

However for this one, again a bogus response by the dealer. I would try simply adjusting the striker screws on the hood. Screw them out a bit at a time until all the slack is out but the hood still latches. That should stop any rattle and squeak. At least try that first... if it doesn't cure it, then fork out money to your Dealer.
I had already screwed those pads out to make the hood stop vibrating but apparently they are saying that there's something wrong with the latch itself, causing a knocking noise over bumps because it's not properly locking or something.

Anyways.. I just ordered a new striker, hood latch, and the high pressure fuel pump insulator from their parts department and I'll put all that on after I get her home from the dealership next week. I can replace all those parts myself faster than a phone call with GM.

Since some warranty parts (new seat rails) are still waiting to come in - I'll be picking up the sky for the weekend so I can cruise around in that till it goes back to the dealer on monday...

I love the car but it's been in for service longer than I've had it!

Last edited by Ruination; 11-16-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: couldn't help it
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

The passenger side seat belt can be a source of vibration noise when the metal tip settles against the interior plastic sidewall.

Check the top latch hook and the trunk latch for any signs of damage (bending). The top latch must remain OPEN position when storing the top. If the latch is returned to the closed position the top latch hook will bang against the trunk latch damaging one or both when closing the trunk on a stowed top.

The brake pull issue is a concern. The stock brakes on these cars are very good when working properly. A pull is a sign of something wrong. If they can't find a brake issue, it might be alignment.

Also, during your discussion with the dealer and GM Customer Support, you should have them identify which of your items are on the CPO checklist. A CPO checklist item should be corrected without discussion as that is an item that was "certified" correct on delivery; the very essence of the CPO program! The warranty is there to cover things that fail after delivery. In other words, you should not be fighting warranty semantics on an item that should have been certified under the CPO program.
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
The passenger side seat belt can be a source of vibration noise when the metal tip settles against the interior plastic sidewall.

Check the top latch hook and the trunk latch for any signs of damage (bending). The top latch must remain OPEN position when storing the top. If the latch is returned to the closed position the top latch hook will bang against the trunk latch damaging one or both when closing the trunk on a stowed top.

The brake pull issue is a concern. The stock brakes on these cars are very good when working properly. A pull is a sign of something wrong. If they can't find a brake issue, it might be alignment.

Also, during your discussion with the dealer and GM Customer Support, you should have them identify which of your items are on the CPO checklist. A CPO checklist item should be corrected without discussion as that is an item that was "certified" correct on delivery; the very essence of the CPO program! The warranty is there to cover things that fail after delivery. In other words, you should not be fighting warranty semantics on an item that should have been certified under the CPO program.

Thank you for the feedback,

My car has metal belt hooks that hold the seat belts over the side of the seat so they can be grabbed easier and hold it higher over your shoulder.. either way this keeps the belt connector in the seat area instead of against the side of the car.

What I can say for the CPO program/warranty is that everyone is very liberal with the use of the word "limited". Every time there is something that falls in the grey area the word "limited" comes out again. I was merely pointing out stuff I found on my drive home from buying the car... so I thought I should get the benefit of the grey area. Either way I was told that if it was the 3yr/36k mile warranty all the stuff would have been covered without question but the CPO warranty (although GM corporate claims carries the same weight) is more "limited" in terms of you do not get the benefit of things in the "grey".

The Brake pull is strange - having worked on many cars and rebuilt the entire front ends in every car I've owned at some point I'm used to brake pulls noticable at higher speeds than lower speeds, but on a flat level road with no dips, I find it really concerning that it will crank my wheel a 1/4 turn to the left as it comes to a stop. Hard braking feels straight (although mushy at times) It definetly just doesn't feel right - the dealer claims they found no issues with it and there is noticably more brake dust on the driver's wheel rather than the passenger, so I think it's dragging or the passenger side has some air in the system. One of these days I will just hook up my air bleeder on it and flush the fluid.

Oh yeah.. I swung by the parts department when I picked the car up for the weekend (it goes back on tuesday to have them replace the loose seat track under warranty) and I picked up the new hood latch and drivers door striker. 15 minutes later, it's pretty obvious things are tighter. $40 well spent.

Old parts --

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #22 (permalink)

Did you see anything wrong with the hood latch? If so what? As Rob said, I also have never seen any issue reported with these.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Did you see anything wrong with the hood latch? If so what? As Rob said, I also have never seen any issue reported with these.
Other than the mechanism just feeling tighter when engaging and when "closed" no, not really at all. It's just a poor design with pressed together parts. Something you would have never noticed if it wasn't a clam shell style hood. The small spring felt weaker, I think too.

I put the new one in the same adjustment as before and it's all tight and other than my cupholder noise that they made worse it feels like a new car!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car is home from the Dealer again finally.. they replaced the seat base that was loose and it actually feels snug when making turns or going over bumps.

Just hit 41k on it today on my way home.. 1300 miles since I bought it and it's just too irresistible! I'm hoping the excitement wears off so she will get a rest!

At the end of the day I just hope this thread helps the next person that has the expectations of the CPO warranty that comes with the used cars..

Cheers,

B.

Last edited by Ruination; 12-02-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Have to comment here. I love my Sky, but like you and the others on this terrific forum, I have found (yet again) that GM sucks. Thier extended and CPO warranties are a scam, only exceeded by the unethical and incompetent dealerships. Thank goodness for the members on this forum; they have saved me many hundreds of potentially wasted doallars and gave me the confidence to keep this wonderful little hot rod.
GM LNF Turbo upgrade, WindRestrictor I
mazzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion