Issues with disconnecting battery. - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Issues with disconnecting battery.

When I bought my Sky last fall, the seller had a new battery installed before I picked up the car. I discovered my key fobs wouldn't work. I thought the batteries in them might be bad so I put new batteries in them and they still wouldn't work. I searched this forum and found that disconnecting the car battery would cause the remotes to not work. I had to take them to a dealer to get them re-programmed which cost me $85.

Now I'm finding advice here on the forum to disconnect the battery to reset various problems. When I installed my Probeam, the instructions said to disconnect the battery before starting the installation. I didn't do that because I didn't want to spend another $85 to reprogram my remotes.

Now I bought the VDI hinges and it also says to disconnect the battery before starting to install.

How do I disconnect the battery without risking losing programming on the remotes?
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Disconnecting the battery shouldn't (per se) futz the remotes. However, there was a TSB for a bug in the computer firmware for this very issue. The dealership should've updated your firmware when you took it in before. If they didn't, then you should complain and get them to do it this time for free. TSB# 08-03-16-001B

Battery Issues (Especially 08 Models)
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with Soup, if your remotes don't work after disconnecting the battery I would take a copy of the TSB and ask for my money back. This is a problem most prevalent with 2008 models Sky or Solstice. For the $85 he charged you he should have reprogrammed the RCDLR module and if he did it will not loose it's memory as the update should have fixed it.

Here is the actual bulletin take a copy of this to the dealer.

TSB 08-03-16-001B

Service Information 2008 Saturn AURA | AURA, BAS Hybrid (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2176461
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-03-16-001B: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes on Al Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR) - (Jul 31, 2008)

Subject: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes On All Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR)

Models: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu

2008 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice

2008 Saturn AURA, SKY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Important statement to reflect the new direction to no longer contact TCSC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-03-16-001A (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires.

Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module.

In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:

The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.

Correction
Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2 is updated with the latest software.

Important: If the Tech 2 could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error -- Pass Thru Only".

Once the RCDLR module has been reflashed with the latest software and calibrations, the following may also be necessary:

Relearn all keyless entry transmitters.

Reconfigure the tire pressure placards and the tire type.

Relearn the tire pressure sensors.

Refer to SI for the procedures to relearn transmitters, placard and tire type configuration and tire pressure sensor learn.

Warranty Information
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

R4481
Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR), Reprogram with SPS
Use Published Labor Operation Time

Add:
Diagnosis Time
0.0-0.3 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

2012 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Hoosier GXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the information! He probably did do the reprogramming. I was just afraid to disconnect the battery again. With this information, I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Thank you!
Woodgrain interior
Old 01-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
I have disconnected Punisher's battery 75-100 times. Only once did it forget the key chip! But the remotes still worked
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Gladmaker

My stock battery completely died. It sat for 2 weeks before I installed a new battery.
While installing the new battery, the car had no battery in it for about 30 minutes.

After I was done, my remotes still worked

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
I have disconnected Punisher's battery 75-100 times. Only once did it forget the key chip! But the remotes still worked
The previous information said the problem was with the '08 Skys. It looks like Punisher is an '07 Sol. What about your '08 Sky?
Woodgrain interior
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Gladmaker

My stock battery completely died. It sat for 2 weeks before I installed a new battery.
While installing the new battery, the car had no battery in it for about 30 minutes.

After I was done, my remotes still worked
Is yours an '08 Sky?
Woodgrain interior
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

So mine is an 08 Sol. It had been a showroom queen, and when I went to testdrive it the remotes were inoperable. They replaced the battery at the time and must've done the fix as I've disconnected power multiple times since then and not had a remote problem since.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had this problem with both my 08 Solstice and 08 Sky since the reflash of the module I have had no issues even when disconnecting the battery.
Hoosier GXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have a plug that goes into the cigarette lighter socket. A 9-volt battery (radio battery) goes onto it. It's supposed to save the presets, etc, when disconnecting the battery. Maybe you can buy one of those?
carnut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

I've got a 2008 and never had an issue with disconnecting the battery. Mine was built late in the model year and the issue was fixed by then.
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
built 7/07 .
no issue .
LLLFLY
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion