Mold/mildew smell after heavy rains?? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Mold/mildew smell after heavy rains??

The last few days we've gotten some major monsoon storms over here. I've noticed a pretty heavy mildew/wet carpet smell afterwards which goes away in a day or so.

The thing is, I have no visible leaks and no matter how hard I look, have not been able to find any wet carpet either in the inside of the car or the trunk. Anyone know what could be going on here?

Hopefully it's normal or nothing to worry about because my 36K bumper to bumper is already expired.
lostcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

i had the same thing. most of the water got in while i was getting in and out of the car. i just drove with the windows down every chance i got. smell finally went away
ShabbyPipesw/tialQ,HIDlow&fogs,stubby,Tints,RPiGTExhaust&RacePi pe,HahnIC,AreoforceDualGuages,DDMProBeam,RaceBackb one&APilar,Wester'sRaceTune,TenzoRDC5,Eibach SL,BTF BigWheel ko4+,JPM shifter,HKSturbotimer,RKsportHood,NormsSkyFenders& someCFbits
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcause View Post
The last few days we've gotten some major monsoon storms over here. I've noticed a pretty heavy mildew/wet carpet smell afterwards which goes away in a day or so.
Check the carpet at the back of the trunk next to license plate.

The water channel for the trunk runs along the sides and dumps into a retainer at the back. The water in the retainer then flows out over the license plate. There is a wiring harness that runs through the retainer, sealed by a gasket. This gasket can leak, allowing water in the retainer to leak down to the carpet below.
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
Check the carpet at the back of the trunk next to license plate.

The water channel for the trunk runs along the sides and dumps into a retainer at the back. The water in the retainer then flows out over the license plate. There is a wiring harness that runs through the retainer, sealed by a gasket. This gasket can leak, allowing water in the retainer to leak down to the carpet below.
+1

I saw this while drying my car one day. I am OCD about drying this part of the trunk. It seems to pool a little in there.

Not sure if this would give you the smell IN the cockpit though.

'08 Sky RL traded for 1 Series M Coupe
T1T2GRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Scott90
My old Honda DelSol used to do that when it rained, smell like garbage in there, fabreeze always did the trick

"Start. Dreaming. Doing. Achieving."
Scott90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
I'm glad I found this thread. I just brought my new '08 Sky RL home on Saturday. Yesterday and last night in particular, we has some pretty hard rains. At lunch I opened the trunk just to see if all was dry. The carpeted areas are, as far as I could tell, dry.

However, the upper rear (metal encased) part of the trunk (under where the spoiler would be if the lid were closed and where some type of "hose" connects to the inside rear trunk lid) I have some water. It's beyond damp. The cockpit is bone dry as is the inside of the top. What to do? Common sense tells me "go to the dealer - warranty covered". Perhaps there is somewhat of a simpler fix?
6 Disc Monsoon
Decklid Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
Built: 09/20/07
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Leather
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built:7/19/07
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
However, the upper rear (metal encased) part of the trunk (under where the spoiler would be if the lid were closed and where some type of "hose" connects to the inside rear trunk lid) I have some water.
No worries. That is designed to catch water from the side channels. Water exits via hole over the license plate.

The problem occurs when the wiring hose gasket fails, allowing water in the catch to leak on carpet below.

As long no water is leaking through the gasket, a little bit of water in the metal bin is fine.

And if the little bit of water bugs you, there is a "stop light" cure. When the light turns green, floor it...and let Newton do the rest.
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
No worries. That is designed to catch water from the side channels. Water exits via hole over the license plate.

The problem occurs when the wiring hose gasket fails, allowing water in the catch to leak on carpet below.

As long no water is leaking through the gasket, a little bit of water in the metal bin is fine.

And if the little bit of water bugs you, there is a "stop light" cure. When the light turns green, floor it...and let Newton do the rest.
Bogie, thanks for your reply. That calms me a good deal. I just popped the trunk again and everything else is dry. However, the inside of the trunk lid is wet under the spoiler - I mean actually wet with plenty of drops of water on it. Is that normal? I suppose I'll just have to check it over the next few days as we're expecting more rain - as you know since we're in the same neck of the woods. I'll keep an eye on it. Floor it, Newton, I guess that could work ;-)
6 Disc Monsoon
Decklid Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
Built: 09/20/07
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Leather
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built:7/19/07

Last edited by gpartrid; 05-26-2009 at 05:34 PM.
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion