New audio with NAV and Bluetooth - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
New audio with NAV and Bluetooth

I plan on swapping out my current audio head unit with a double DIN unit with NAV, Bluetooth, backup camera, etc.

I know there are Kenwood and Pioneer brands out there by looking at the Crutchfield website. But does anyone have recommendations on which units they prefer? Or better yet...which ones I should stay away from?

I don't have the audio controls on the steering wheel so that's not a necessary feature....unless it can be added somehow.

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Black leather seats - used to be cloth
Pioneer 4200NEX head unit with Backup camera
Tinted Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
I plan on swapping out my current audio head unit with a double DIN unit with NAV, Bluetooth, backup camera, etc.

I know there are Kenwood and Pioneer brands out there by looking at the Crutchfield website. But does anyone have recommendations on which units they prefer? Or better yet...which ones I should stay away from?

I don't have the audio controls on the steering wheel so that's not a necessary feature....unless it can be added somehow.
I got a Kenwood Audio Head Unit, it doesn't have Nav because I already have a Garmin as shown in the photo, nor does it have a backup camera so I can't address that, but I was very happy with the unit I chose, but keep in mind the install is brutal. I chose not to have the steering wheel controls hooked up as it was a separate harness that cost nearly $90 more and I rarely used them anyway considering how close the unit is when driving. Just my thoughts........

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4280 small.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	89401   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	89409  

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen that on a Sky...every Sky I've seen has them. Is this indicative of the non-Monsoon systems? It's important to know this mmartin as the harness adapter you get for the new head unit needs to be for the standard system or Monsoon system. Apparently their harnesses are different.

I have a Kenwood in mine. I love it. Connects to my Android phone and lets me control it from the head unit AND I was able to modify the start up screen to make it look more "Factory". I'm big on mods that look like the car could have come that way.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I run a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, it's a single-DIN unit but it offers more dynamic controls over the audio over pretty much any other unit available. It really brought the stock speaker and amplifier system to life. I'm sure that new speakers would do even more for clarity, but the stock system is really being held back by the "POS" stock head unit. The difference has to be heard to be believed.

Also, I find that the little cubby hole that is made available under the stock head unit when using a single-DIN adapter increases the interior storage space in the Sky by about 50%!
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Hmmm. Well everyone keeps saying (above, anyway) that the stock head unit is crap. But I beg to disagree. Now I have the USB unit, so that might make a difference (though I doubt it) but that with Alpine speakers and Eclipse amp sounds great in my car. I think that it all may be a case of "the grass is greener..."

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:32 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I don't think I've ever seen that on a Sky...every Sky I've seen has them. Is this indicative of the non-Monsoon systems? It's important to know this mmartin as the harness adapter you get for the new head unit needs to be for the standard system or Monsoon system. Apparently their harnesses are different.

I have a Kenwood in mine. I love it. Connects to my Android phone and lets me control it from the head unit AND I was able to modify the start up screen to make it look more "Factory". I'm big on mods that look like the car could have come that way.
I once added the secondary radio controls on a Solstice awhile back...it was not difficult...but I cannot recall how I did it. Me BAD I do recall u do not have to take off the steering wheel but u did have to remove the air bag to gain access to the inside wiring.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post

Yep. There's no volume controls. See photo below. I'd like to get a head unit that has a knob for the volume simply because it's easier to work when driving. What Kenwood unit do you have? And was it difficult to install? I saw online how you have to basically take the whole dash off, but it doesn't look too complicated. More of a pain in the butt than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
I once added the secondary radio controls on a Solstice awhile back...it was not difficult...but I cannot recall how I did it. Me BAD I do recall u do not have to take off the steering wheel but u did have to remove the air bag to gain access to the inside wiring.
That would be a nice set of instructions to find I don't think it will be that important, though. This is a weekend and cruising car. And maybe whichever head unit I purchase will have voice command for volume or something anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering wheel.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	89441  

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen

Last edited by mmartin; 03-11-2017 at 02:09 PM.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, have not seen that before.

I think you may have the fairly rare U1C radio option (which I "think" was available only on the 2.4 base, possibly only on early 2007 Skys).

That is, unless someone switched steering wheels on you...

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeardsley View Post
Wow, have not seen that before.

I think you may have the fairly rare U1C radio option (which I "think" was available only on the 2.4 base, possibly only on early 2007 Skys).

That is, unless someone switched steering wheels on you...
It would be nice if "fairly rare" means worth more money . But I'm sure it won't. Not my kinda luck.

Is it possible to switch the steering wheel with the audio controls and have them work on an aftermarket unit? Or is there some sort of factory wiring that needs to exist to make it work?

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen

Last edited by mmartin; 03-11-2017 at 03:00 PM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
It would be nice if "fairly rare" means worth more money . But I'm sure it won't. Not my kinda luck.

Is it possible to switch the steering wheel with the audio controls and have them work on an aftermarket unit? Or is there some sort of factory wiring that needs to exist to make it work?
Not likely, in this case "fairly rare", means "original purchaser was not willing to pay any extra for audio and was willing to live with whatever would be on the car for free". Sort of like a '70s car that had only an AM radio.

As to swapping the wheel, I have no idea.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not likely, in this case "fairly rare", means "original purchaser was not willing to pay any extra for audio and was willing to live with whatever would be on the car for free". Sort of like a '70s car that had only an AM radio.

As to swapping the wheel, I have no idea.
Yeah, you're probably right because it has cloth seats as well. But that's ok. I'll be modding it to my liking anyway.

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:02 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yep. There's no volume controls. See photo below. I'd like to get a head unit that has a knob for the volume simply because it's easier to work when driving. What Kenwood unit do you have? And was it difficult to install? I saw online how you have to basically take the whole dash off, but it doesn't look too complicated. More of a pain in the butt than anything else.

That would be a nice set of instructions to find I don't think it will be that important, though. This is a weekend and cruising car. And maybe whichever head unit I purchase will have voice command for volume or something anyway.
Just to mess with some of your skills...to remove the airbag so u can view the inside wiring...stick 2 thin screwdrivers in holes behind the steering wheel...it pops off but be careful. You do not have to disconnect the battery but many do...some say the airbag can deploy.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Garage
Wow, cloth seats too?

It maybe one of GM's "starting price specials". They always build a few cars that have absolutely no options on them, partly so that they can claim a low "starting at" price in their ads.

Do you have a copy of the original sticker for your car? It would be nice to see what options (if any) that it did have.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Just to mess with some of your skills...to remove the airbag so u can view the inside wiring...stick 2 thin screwdrivers in holes behind the steering wheel...it pops off but be careful. You do not have to disconnect the battery but many do...some say the airbag can deploy.
That has "fingers flying off" written all over it.

I think I'll pass or let someone else do it.

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow, cloth seats too?

It maybe one of GM's "starting price specials". They always build a few cars that have absolutely no options on them, partly so that they can claim a low "starting at" price in their ads.

Do you have a copy of the original sticker for your car? It would be nice to see what options (if any) that it did have.
No copy of the original sticker. I bought it used at a wholesale auction type place.

Is there a way to check using the VIN? I heard there may be some websites out there where you type in the VIN and it tells you everything.

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.