New (to me) 2007 saturn sky base - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New (to me) 2007 saturn sky base

So I'm finally an owner of my very own saturn sky. I've been an admirer from a far for years but never bought one... This week the perfect one showed up at a local auto auction and I took it as a sign that it's time to get a sky. I paid the reserve price of 5k, had a clean car fax, info from when it was traded in, dealer inspection from 3 months ago etc. Thought I got a great deal. As I drove the car today it began learching and coming to a very rough stop, then the check engine light came on... Any ideas what's going on? Did I make a $5000 mistake?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-02-17-02-37-05_1487321031111.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	88866  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:35 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Garage
No one should buy a SKY with more than 10K miles....unless u knew the previous owner.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
MM Please explain.
Seems very limiting.

OP you need to pull the codes

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

It only has 70k... Do these have a habit of not lasting long if not meticulously cared for?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgleockler View Post
It only has 70k... Do these have a habit of not lasting long if not meticulously cared for?
Asked and answered. And even if u baby this car...$hit always seems to happen. Just the way it is. This car was designed well but made cheap.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Probably too good to be true... A car that looks this good for only 5k. Ever hear of the sticky brake situation before?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Garage
MM, come on now...that is a stretch. I had 44K on mine when I bought it and really nothing wrong with it that we don't already know about.

@cgleockler, first you need to see what the check engine light is telling you. You can pick up a Bluetooth OBDII dongle off eBay for under $10 (Super Mini OBD2 OBDII ELM327 v2.1 Android Bluetooth Adapter Auto Scanner Torque | eBay) and then download the free version of the Torque app (for Android smart phones...there is another one for Apple phones but I can NEVER remember what it is).

This setup (for like $6) will let you scan error codes and clear them. Well worth it.

This will give us a better idea of what may be going on.

If the car didn't stall when the check engine light comes on then I doubt it's a brake issue. The brake issue where the rear calipers stick would be a constant and wouldn't throw a check engine light unless you stall the car...and then it's just coming on because the engine isn't running...doesn't really throw a error code.

The 2.4 in the base model (The LE5 engine) is pretty simple. Problems that could cause this would be a bad MAF sensor, clogged cat, a vacuum leak, or a problem in the engine so until we know the error messages, we won't know for sure where to start pointing you.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
You can also go to your favorite auto parts store and ask them to read the codes. Most will do it for free.

FWIW: My 2.4 has 100k on it with no mechanical issues, and the RL had 68k when I bought it (wrecked) and has 73k now, also with no mechanical issues.

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

So my code reader came back with nothing...but it was a little hard to start so I checked the battery and it was resting low so I replaced that and my engine light is gone, would this car throw an engine light rather than a battery light of my battery was bad? Or do I still have a problem... Went to advance auto and they said they didn't read codes anymore, waiting on a new scanner now.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Bad batteries wreak havoc on these cars. It can make them do all kinds of strange things. How's it running now with the new battery? I hope you've found your culprit.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, when the battery starts to fail in these cars they act possessed.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Check engine light came back on and brakes started acting funny again after about 45 minutes of driving, just gonna take it into a shop and see if they can tell me anything I guess
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
I dont think you have the right code reader, if you have CEL then there are codes. Please ignore some members, They seem to despise these cars, so I am not really sure why they are here. $5k for a base with 70k miles is not a bad deal there is a thread on here of low cost sky's check it out if your curious. Any pics of the car, engine compartment. Can you better describe when the engine acts up?

I wonder if the battery cable started to come loose after driving it for a while?

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm thinking battery cable too...

Davhamm's right, if the engine light is coming on there should be a code.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
If you have a 2.4 Sky then you got a good deal if the car is in reasonably good condition

there are many examples of NA Solstice and Sky's going strong well into 200k miles.

You have a new to you car. You need to learn its condition and also get used to how the car acts.

Your current issue could be any number of items. Water in the fuel, failing battery, bad cables, bad engine ground, failing fuel pump, etc.

You can get help from the forums but first we need more information. Check the codes and any warning indicators on the dash and share them.

Check the obvious things. Check the fuel. It could be bad or old or even contaminated. The in tank components need a gas treatment to prevent corrosion.

Check the oil level and look for water or fuel contamination. Get the oil changed. I personally recommend full synthetic oil.

Pull the battery cables and inspect them. Lube them up dielectric grease and make sure they are installed properly and tight.

Check the engine ground. It is on the top of the engine toward the front of the head. Pull off the plastic cover and the insulation and you will find it.

Open and inspect the fuses for condition. There are fuses and relays in the engine bay, right side at the firewall. Pop the top and take a look. Depending on where the car has been living, check for condition of the fuse connection. Pull a few and look at them to see if they are corroded. Do the same for the BCM fuses. They are under the passenger carpet in front of the seat at the firewall. Grab the top forward edge of the carpet and pull to the rear. You will see the structure that holds the carpet and protects the BCM. Lift it out, its held in place with Velcro. You can then access the rest of the fuses there.

When you have the engine cover and insulation removed, inspect the ignition coils for condition and connections.

Try to get the codes for us so we can help more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.