Ouch! My Sky may be damaged beyond repair... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Ouch! My Sky may be damaged beyond repair...

Rear-ended an Altima on the way home from work tonight.

Need the insurance adjuster to look at it, but it may be a total loss.

His car had nothing but a couple of paint scrapes...

This sucks...accident was completely my fault...I don't even have someone else to yell at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170302_171443.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	89042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170302_171449.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	89049  

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Looks like new hood, front grill maybe radiator. good to go. I cant see that as totaled. Looks like you submerged under and took all the damage to your hood.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Man that sucks!!! But you're okay, that is the most important.

Just looking at it, it may not be. The headlights look okay, and the fog lights seem to be okay.

The hood is toast and front fascia is gone, crumple bar and Styrofoam most likely. But a lot of the brackets underneath are most likely okay.

If the headlights get whacked, and fog lights they normally write it off, darned things are very expensive and getting more so.

I am sure you are very close. Air bag did not go off correct?

It is very similar to the one I bought for my wife. They claimed frame damage, but it was the hood bracket holder that cracked, a tack weld broke.

If you truly love the car, fight for it. Not many around that have been taken care of, and getting less every day.

So sorry to hear it, but you're not hurt and that is by far more important.

Last edited by skersfan; 03-02-2017 at 09:33 PM.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...
It was drivable to the body shop (actually drove fine, nothing seemed to be rubbing).

Body shop guy (same guy who worked on it a couple of years ago when someone hit me) said it looked "border-line" to him.
Won't know for sure until the insurance adjuster looks at it.

This is the problem with the Blue Book values being so low. They say the car is worth $6600.

If the insurance guy says it is fixable...I pay my $300 deductible and I'm all good.
If the insurance guy says it is NOT fixable...he writes me a check for $6300, and says "just go buy another one" (as if I have a prayer of finding a nice Sky at that price).

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeardsley View Post
Thanks guys...
It was drivable to the body shop (actually drove fine, nothing seemed to be rubbing).

Body shop guy (same guy who worked on it a couple of years ago when someone hit me) said it looked "border-line" to him.
Won't know for sure until the insurance adjuster looks at it.

This is the problem with the Blue Book values being so low. They say the car is worth $6600.

If the insurance guy says it is fixable...I pay my $300 deductible and I'm all good.
If the insurance guy says it is NOT fixable...he writes me a check for $6300, and says "just go buy another one" (as if I have a prayer of finding a nice Sky at that price).
Not sure Texas state laws, but that is not how insurance works in most places. You do not and should not accept their first offer. You should be going on autotrader and the like to build up a file of similar cars for sale and asking price. Use ebay for actual selling prices also. They should pay you the cost to go buy another one. KBB has nothing to do with what you should get from them.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Garage
I'm with your body guy. Charge pipes may be damaged, may have some frame damage where the hood hinges attach. The hinges too. Hood and grill are shot. Plus paint.

I think you SHOULD be able to come in under the car's value...but we'll see. Good luck sir and I hope the best for you.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 PM

Garage
Tell them to replace it, find one at that price and buy. I fought my insurance company over a box van that I had converted to race support truck. They offered me about a tenth of what it was worth. Ended up getting close to what I had in it and got the truck to boot. engine/trany/rearend, interior/ stereo, bucket seats. You could come out ahead, but you have to fight with them. The car can not be replaced for that amount of money.

I am thinking all of us should be carrying claimed value on these cars. I am going to on my yellow one. My Mallet appraised at 75K so that is what it is insured for. Costs a little more, but knowing I could replace it (which this one I can't) makes feel better when I drive it. Need to call my insurance guy tomorrow.
Endstate likes this.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:09 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Unless there is chassis damage...that car is salvageable. Red is my favorite color. Save her.

Last edited by marlboromike; 03-03-2017 at 02:59 PM.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:17 AM

Garage
Hey Mike, good to see you back.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Hey Mike, good to see you back.
You talked me into it
todaresqSL2 likes this.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to see and hear that. You are ok, the car not so much. Looks bad, but then again it could be saved. IF there is no frame damage that is the key. The hood, fenders, bumper etc. mostly cosmetic in nature. Expensive? Sure it is, these cars are, but they can be fixed.

The insurance agent might total it. The body shop might be able to fix it. IF the insurance agent says it is fixable, but then after the tear down by the body shop, they might say it is not fixable, with all the hidden damage they found, it is what it is.

I just wandered over to Choptop thread on low priced SKY's floating around the internet. Couple of them out there in the $6k+ range. While they might not be the same year or mileage as yours, you might find one to replace yours, IF the insurance agent/body shop says it is totaled.

We never like to see one of own bite the dust. The owner is alive. Safe and sound, and lives to drive another day. The Kappa on the other hand might be done. So the question remains,... Will our owner get his current SKY back and looking permagrin good, ( it still drives ok, no mechanical issues so far ) or will he have to replace it?

Repaired SKY : Down time in the body shop. Total cost for repairs. Back and running the twistys.
Totaled SKY: The check is in the mail. Replace the SKY or find something new to drive.
The replacement SKY: it's just not the same as the old one I had. They never are, but you are back in a premagrin vehicle again!

Hope things turn out for the best for you and your SKY. Nothing puts a frown on your face, then seeing your baby looking like this. IF it is repairable
then the long wait begins while it is in the body shop. The dreaded phone call from the ins. agent/ body shop yup it's gone.. here is your check and the search is on for the replacement. The car in this case could be ok, which is way better than you, the owner being in the ER, know what I mean?

LAC
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, talked to my agent this morning (adjuster has not seen the car yet), but she did say that if the car is declared a total loss, I do have the option of taking the money and the car and getting it fixed myself.

I may do this depending upon how the numbers work out. If the car really is "borderline", it may be that I can just kick in a thousand or so of my own and get MY car back (rather than trying to find another one - which would likely cost that much more anyway).

My Sky is a very rare Red with Red interior (1 of about 55). I know that I'm not going to find another one of those.

Skersfan - you mentioned adding insurance for claimed value a while ago. I was actually planning on looking into that, just never got around to it. Sure wish that I had now. Once this all gets resolved, I will definitely take a look at that.

Hopefully I will have more info in a couple of days. I will let you all know how it turns out.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about the accident but most importantly your OK. I have been shopping around after I read an earlier thread about insuring for a set amount instead of the companies using book value. Hagerty came in the best price on a set value of 18,000.00. That price from them was around 430.00 yr. I am paying 410.00 right now for book value. Rates can vary depending as you all know on location, driving history, age etc. No brainer for me....Hagerty as your situation drives it home in my mind. Hope all turns out OK for you
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Good luck! Hope this all works out so you can keep your car. I didn't realize red with red interior was so rare. I guess that explains why I couldn't find one when I was looking.

First Sky - 2008 Polar White Redline, Black & Red Interior *Sold*
Second Sky - 2008 Red, Black Interior, Tinted Windows, Lighted Door Sills
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver turbo View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident but most importantly your OK. I have been shopping around after I read an earlier thread about insuring for a set amount instead of the companies using book value. Hagerty came in the best price on a set value of 18,000.00. That price from them was around 430.00 yr. I am paying 410.00 right now for book value. Rates can vary depending as you all know on location, driving history, age etc. No brainer for me....Hagerty as your situation drives it home in my mind. Hope all turns out OK for you
I have mine with an agreed value of $30k with Hagerty. But they are only for classic cars, so you need to have a Daily Driver also. But I am pretty sure any insurance company will do agreed to value.

Wont go into cost as it varies to much state to state.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.