Pics of Speaker/Amp Install - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Pics of Speaker/Amp Install

I already posted the finished product pictures but here are some of the work in progress pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3611.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3613.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3614.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3615.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3617.jpg  

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3359313
BSRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

More pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3619.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3621.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3622.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3623.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3624.jpg  

Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

and more...
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3626.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3627.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3652.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3653.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3654.jpg  

Old 05-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

and last...
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3655.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3656.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3659.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3662.jpg   Pics of Speaker/Amp Install-100_3665.jpg  

Old 05-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to todaresqSL2
Very nice install!!! The cutting behind the passenger seat gives me hope that I can switch out my flat Pioneer 8" for my old JL 12w7... but maybe not. At least I think we can do the larger flat JL 10TW5.

Are you going to light up the amp rack in the trunk where your 550.2 is???

We were thinking of adding 4's in the rear where the stock 3.5's are, but didn't think it would add much to the sound. Have you noticed clearer sounds from the rear???

I have both a Kicker 1200.1 and Kicker 650.4 available if you wanted to go louder.
Rear Camera
ACE 18" Rims
Custom Paint
JL Audio Amp
JL 13TW5 Sub
SMS Headers
Vertical Doors
Pioneer AVIC-Z1
JL Audio Surrounds
Functional Hood Vents
KappaSphere - Saturn MotorSports

3800: 6-20-06 vin 3895
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
jel

My Photos: (8)
Excellent essay and kick ass looking. Does that thing hurt your kidneys?
jel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (0)
Very Very Nice
Painted engine cover, fuse box, rearend
Third brake light decal
Opel Gt antenna
3" Magnaflow exhaust
CTI hard pipes
Dejon Intercooler
BlueSkyRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by todaresqSL2 View Post
Very nice install!!! The cutting behind the passenger seat gives me hope that I can switch out my flat Pioneer 8" for my old JL 12w7... but maybe not. At least I think we can do the larger flat JL 10TW5.

Are you going to light up the amp rack in the trunk where your 550.2 is???

We were thinking of adding 4's in the rear where the stock 3.5's are, but didn't think it would add much to the sound. Have you noticed clearer sounds from the rear???

I have both a Kicker 1200.1 and Kicker 650.4 available if you wanted to go louder.
Louder? It is plenty loud now I can tell you that. The volume switch goes up to 40 and I can't stand it at 20 right now.

I thought about adding some lighting back there, it would probably look pretty good. I haven't gotten around to it yet though.

The 4's are very loud. You would be suprised if you sat in there and listened to exactly how loud they are. IMHO it was well worth putting the 4's in there.

I have the competition level component speakers from CDT so they are very very clear and of course very expensive.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel View Post
Excellent essay and kick ass looking. Does that thing hurt your kidneys?
Well, the sub has the potential to make the passenger's body shake in the right places if that's what you mean.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to darrylba
Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSRL View Post
Well, the sub has the potential to make the passenger's body shake in the right places if that's what you mean.
I can attest to that. I have a 12 inch flat sub behind the driver side seat. The sub actually shakes the frame of the car and I only have it at level 2 on my car deck and a quarter turn on my amp. For those who like to feel music as well as hear it, your example is a great way to go. This difference is our subs are in different locations. No need to turn that up louder as u say. CDT, nice!
darrylba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Not heard of the brand of your component speakers before. Get Car Audio magazine, attend SEMA and CES and not seen this brand in attendance. Did you do the install yourself or an audio shop do the work?

I installed rear speakers and personally found them a waste of money and have gone with full front staging but with a better sub. Full Dynamat Extreme interior helped greatly--tightening up things--really hear the difference with the top up.

At some point will have a custom sub enclosure made for a 10 or 12". Have found my Alpine 4 channel at 150 watts/channel, bridged for the sub more than enough and only needed the one amp behind the passenger seat so as not to require a separate amp for the sub.

For those interested in installing bigger subs, check out the thread in the Solstice forum in the sound modification section where we posted a write up from a audio shop that installed 10" subs behind the driver and passenger seats. Looks like they cut out the back wall as you did and fabricated a larger enclosure. They also installed the Alpine 4 channel amp in the waterfall area so as not to install in the trunk--do sure I like that piece of the install job but interesting. Two 10" Sub Install - Pontiac Solstice Forum

TSW 19" Rims-245/40ZR-19 Dunlop Tires-MF Exhaust-Side Cowl Panels-Side Skirts-Pioneer AVIC-D3-Alpine PDX-4.150 Amp-MB Quart QSD 216 Speakers-JL Audio Sub-Rear Camera-Full Dynamat int.-full interior reupholstery-MOMO shifter, hand brake & floor plates

Last edited by russsims; 05-05-2008 at 01:37 AM.
russsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsims View Post
Not heard of the brand of your component speakers before. Get Car Audio magazine, attend SEMA and CES and not seen this brand in attendance. Did you do the install yourself or an audio shop do the work?

I installed rear speakers and personally found them a waste of money and have gone with full front staging but with a better sub. Full Dynamat Extreme interior helped greatly--tightening up things--really hear the difference with the top up.

At some point will have a custom sub enclosure made for a 10 or 12". Have found my Alpine 4 channel at 150 watts/channel, bridged for the sub more than enough and only needed the one amp behind the passenger seat so as not to require a separate amp for the sub.

For those interested in installing bigger subs, check out the thread in the Solstice forum in the sound modification section where we posted a write up from a audio shop that installed 10" subs behind the driver and passenger seats. Looks like they cut out the back wall as you did and fabricated a larger enclosure. They also installed the Alpine 4 channel amp in the waterfall area so as not to install in the trunk--do sure I like that piece of the install job but interesting. Two 10" Sub Install - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Now thats what I call being on the hot seat.

Last edited by darrylba; 05-06-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=russsims;313609]Not heard of the brand of your component speakers before. Get Car Audio magazine, attend SEMA and CES and not seen this brand in attendance. Did you do the install yourself or an audio shop do the work?

QUOTE]

CDT Audio is not main stream, kinda under the radar. In fact I took mine to a shop and the installer hadn't heard of them either. He said he was sold on them after hearing them though. He said they were better than the OZ Audios they usually go high-end with.

The 4's I have are very loud and clear. Maybe part of the reason they are so loud is I sit with my seats all the way back and the speakers are right there.

One amp instead of two just didn't work for my set-up. I couldn't find a single amp that matched up to my components and sub very well so that's why I split them up. I think you will always be better off doing it that way because you don't tax the amp as much and the quality at least in theory should be better. The draw back of course is less space especially in our car with a second amp but I can still fit my golf clubs in the back so I am golden.

There is a good amount of space when you cut the back out so you don't necessarily have to go with a shallowmount but the question is, will you provide the sub with enough space (air) for good sound?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylba View Post
Not thats what I call being on the hot seat.

Do not understand your comment about the hot seat????
TSW 19" Rims-245/40ZR-19 Dunlop Tires-MF Exhaust-Side Cowl Panels-Side Skirts-Pioneer AVIC-D3-Alpine PDX-4.150 Amp-MB Quart QSD 216 Speakers-JL Audio Sub-Rear Camera-Full Dynamat int.-full interior reupholstery-MOMO shifter, hand brake & floor plates
russsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsims View Post
Do not understand your comment about the hot seat????
I went with 2 amps. Both 4 channel. One for sub and front components and 1 for rear and center channel speakers. My rear speakers are on very low just enough not to overpower the bass. I have 5 different ways to adjust the speakers. But, you are right I could just not even install them for just playing music. But, they are necessary when I play a movie for surround sound.

Last edited by darrylba; 05-06-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion