Replace seats. Where to buy? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Replace seats. Where to buy?

I was about to write "Replace front seats" in the title, but then realized, that's all we have..lol.

Anyway, I have cloth seats and the driver's seat has been fatisized from the previous owner. So the bottom of the seat is pretty much flattened out. I was thinking of just getting two new leather seats and the only place I see them right now is on eBay. Depending on the condition, they run between $400 - $700. Is there anywhere else to get them?

Or would it be better to just have an upholsterer redo the seats that I have? And can they add foam to the bottom of the driver's seat to give some side bolster?

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Black leather seats - used to be cloth
Pioneer 4200NEX head unit with Backup camera
Tinted Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Garage
I would go the upholstery route if it were me. Our seats are not the greatest in the world by an means. The only part that is leather is the bottom seat area. And it is not great quality according the guy that does mine. A shop with talented people can make the seat far more comfortable, with better materials, but you will be on the high end of the spectrum for sure.

Other option would be to contact Hoosier GXP and see if he has any seats for sale.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:50 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
There are a number of after market seat makers for cars, jeeps, trucks, etc. Google will give you a lot of selections of various types, sizes, materials, etc.

TexSon
2009 RL, Blue
2007 RL, Red Daily Driver

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The problem with aftermarket seats is that most, if not all, of them are too big to fit into our cars.

Custom upholstery is definitely the class way to go, but don't expect it to be inexpensive.
Replacing the seat cushion will also be a challenge, and add to the expense, as the last I heard there were no replacements available.

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:31 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The problem with aftermarket seats is that most, if not all, of them are too big to fit into our cars.

Custom upholstery is definitely the class way to go, but don't expect it to be inexpensive.
Replacing the seat cushion will also be a challenge, and add to the expense, as the last I heard there were no replacements available.
There better be replacement seats available...Are they only going to switch the air bag sensors without the bottom portion of the seat? No one really knows that answer, of course.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
There better be replacement seats available...Are they only going to switch the air bag sensors without the bottom portion of the seat? No one really knows that answer, of course.
I fully expect that this is what they will do. Why would they replace the seat cushion (even though we might like them to) ?

For the other models that had a similar recall, did they replace any other parts?

I thought all they did was add a piece of tape to secure it in place, right?

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:51 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeardsley View Post
I fully expect that this is what they will do. Why would they replace the seat cushion (even though we might like them to) ?

For the other models that had a similar recall, did they replace any other parts?

I have no idea. Meanwhile, we have no indication when a solution will be forthcoming.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeardsley View Post

LEAR added the tape during the assembly process of the lower passenger seat cushion and then sold the complete assembly to GM. Assemblies with tape were shown to be more durable and not fail with the frequency of those without tape. The CTS fix was in the form of GM replacing this entire lower cushion assembly with a new lower cushion assembly that had been assembled by LEAR (or it's OEM part successor. LEAR built the cushions for new car assembly...I believe there was another company would assemble and supply OEM parts for replacement parts. LEAR is only the ever company mentioned in the recalls since they built the recalled cushion assemblies). These assemblies had the tape and were assembled with a process that didn't put stress on the sensor mat during the assembly production process before the entire assembly was sent to GM. GM only replaced the lower cushion assemblies, they did not modify or assemble lower cushion assemblies for the recall.

Quote:
I have no idea. Meanwhile, we have no indication when a solution will be forthcoming.
They are not only going to replace the sensor itself. They will replace the entire lower cushion.

Why do I say this? Simple, the original part, from GM, is the entire cushion. A GM tech in a GM dealership doesn't know how to do the assembly process of foam, mesh layer, sensor, foam layer, mesh layer, seat cover. All that assembly was done by LEAR corporation. The cushion is only available from GM as an assembly. The sensor mat, while having a GM like part number, is not referenced in any GM parts catalog I've been able to find, only the entire lower cushion assembly.

Since the "new" part must replace the "old" part and since the only "old" part in the GM catalog is the entire lower assembly with the sensor installed, I'm fairly confident in stating, as a fact, that the fix for the passenger sensor issue will be in the form of an entire lower cushion assembly.

Besides, I believe we're talking driver's seat here. You wouldn't really be able to do much with the passenger seat since this sensor mat is installed and then calibrated in that cushion and foam. You could recover it but I doubt you could successfully replace the foam and still have the sensor work as intended.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 03-15-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:35 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
The most dangerous part of replacing that air bag sensor...is the tech removing the entire seat from the car. Make sure u r there if u can...also during the reinstallation. Your paint job is at risk. The first time I had my air bag replaced...I removed the seat. I was also there for the reinstall. Only a fool walks away from their car....as many owners with cracked fenders can attest.

Do not forget to give the service tech a tip before he starts the job.

Last edited by marlboromike; 03-15-2017 at 05:47 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Checked a typical outlet and was interested to see that the passenger-side pad is selling for as much 4x the price of the driver's seat pad. Wonder what it was before the recall.

08 RL Auto, Onyx / Black
Stock spoiler
Billet Grille, Opel Ant
Halos, Eyelids
Wind Restrictor, RV10 Sun Shades
K&N Typhoon
DDM Charge Pipes, Venom Brace
PA HFC and Tune
Debadged
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endstate View Post
Checked a typical outlet and was interested to see that the passenger-side pad is selling for as much 4x the price of the driver's seat pad. Wonder what it was before the recall.
Part of the reason for the much higher price is that the seat pad has the personal presence sensor and several layers of different materials bonded to the top of the pad whereas the drivers seat has none of this, just a seat pad.

The drivers seat pad doesn't need the passenger presence sensor to activate/inactivate the airbag. It is assumed that the driver will be in the seat if the car is being operated, and the driver's airbag is active whenever the car is being driven. The driver's seat pad doesn't need any of the complicated structure of the passenger seat, it's just a simple molded seat pad.

The passenger seat pad price hasn't changed because of the recall, it is the same price as before the recall. Since GM has not announced the remedy for the recall, right now if you replace the passenger seat pad with the current replacement passenger seat pad, you are replacing a defective seat pad with a defective seat pad. At this point in time we do not know how GM is going to remedy the recall situation.

Patience is in order for the time being.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
So what are the odds of an upholstery place screwing up the air bag sensor if I had them change the seats from cloth to leather? Is it buried enough in the seat that they won't even be able to touch it?

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Black leather seats - used to be cloth
Pioneer 4200NEX head unit with Backup camera
Tinted Windscreen
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Garage
It is attached to the foam pad, doubtful they would tear it up, but you never know. I had mine redone, and have not had(DUH WHY AM I SAYING THIS) any problems in over two years. I don't drive mine a lot, but the wife is normally with me when I do. I would guess about 5K passenger miles.

Just go to a good quality shop, one that does street rods interiors. Look for experience not price, in the long run you will be much happier.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Why not just buy a new bottom cushion foam and have the shop insert it - they can also add a bit of rubber if you want it even higher or more firm. IMHO the cloth seats are superior to the rather cheap looking leather seats, especially in hot weather!

1957 Jamaican - MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Why not just buy a new bottom cushion foam and have the shop insert it - they can also add a bit of rubber if you want it even higher or more firm. IMHO the cloth seats are superior to the rather cheap looking leather seats, especially in hot weather!
Because you can't just buy the foam from GM. For the driver's side this isn't an issue. For the passenger side though, unless you don't want a passenger air bag and don't mind driving around with an air bag system error message, you have to use the GM lower cushion and it only comes pre-covered.

This is what the passenger seat lower cushion looks like without the leather or cloth seat cover:

The black mat you see on top of it is the sensor mat assembly. When you take that assembly apart, you have this:

The black you see in the first picture covers a layer of white you see below the wiring matrix in the second picture. The tape you hear about in the CTS recall deals with taping the wiring matrix to the white foam you see here, not the entire sensor assembly to the seat foam.

Like skersfan mentioned, if you have someone who can recover the seat professionally they can do it without hurting the sensor...though I wonder even then how much luck is involved. I do know if you put anything else (memory foam, gel, etc) between the sensor and seat cover, you're going to throw off the sensor as it is calibrated to determine weight based on the stock seating surface.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.