Scareing me... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
Scareing me...

I'm reading some posts on this site about, not making a sky your daily driver... That is exactly what I entend to do if I get one... I'm looking for under 30K miles and intending to keep long term. But if I get one more car that continuously breaks down my wife won't let me choose my cars anymore (my last 2 were a 1993 honda prelude with 220K miles, which I still own and is sitting at my uncles property in FL, (yea I was a rice burner, carbon fiber hood, 18 inch rims swapped out engine...) , and a 1995 honda del sol with only 65K miles when I bought it and it blew a headgasket at 85K, sold that one for 1300 a few months back)
Spare me if this is a bad choice to make a Saturn sky a daily driver. my other options are a Infiniti G35 or a BMW 330ci (which I know maintenence costs are HIGH)
Maybe I should just look into a civic, ugh or a corolla (oh my did I just say that)
Sky4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
Go with the infiniti. This car was never meant to be a daily driver...although members made them. Save your marriage....if u wish to.

By the way,....drop off E befor ING
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

You wont be as happy if you buy the infinity i read your other post you need the sky
Leppyxr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

My 07 I drive mine everyday. The only time I don't drive it is ice or snow.
warrenhotrod1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I daily drive. Ice, snow no problems. Just need the right tires for those conditions. Love waking up to commute in my sky daily.
Naus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyForChrist View Post
I'm reading some posts on this site about, not making a sky your daily driver...
I drive mine every day to work and play... except snow when I grab my wife's car. about 12 miles to work
Ahnuld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnuld View Post
I drive mine every day to work and play... except snow when I grab my wife's car. about 12 miles to work
ok I feel better knowing that, my work is about 10 miles away. and my wife has a Jeep patriot. It also doesn't snow here (all that often) in Dallas. So we shall see. I think I'm still going to try to get the Sky.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
The Good Lord has a plan for everything.
If your sky breaks down, it was part of his plan and you should not question it.

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would have no issues driving my Sky Daily -- if it's nice weather I drive it as much as I can!

Today it is sleeting so the montero can have all that. Tomorrrow the sky will be back out of the garage again
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
HAHAHA Nice signature Ruination!!!

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
I'm reading some posts on this site about, not making a sky your daily driver... That is exactly what I entend to do if I get one... I'm looking for under 30K miles and intending to keep long term. But if I get one more car that continuously breaks down my wife won't let me choose my cars anymore (my last 2 were a 1993 honda prelude with 220K miles, which I still own and is sitting at my uncles property in FL, (yea I was a rice burner, carbon fiber hood, 18 inch rims swapped out engine...) , and a 1995 honda del sol with only 65K miles when I bought it and it blew a headgasket at 85K, sold that one for 1300 a few months back)
Spare me if this is a bad choice to make a Saturn sky a daily driver. my other options are a Infiniti G35 or a BMW 330ci (which I know maintenence costs are HIGH)
Maybe I should just look into a civic, ugh or a corolla (oh my did I just say that)
We have a lot of customers that daily drive their Kappas, no problem. With car forums you see problems posted up and sometimes it seems like everyone has problems with their cars, but the vast majority does not, all of those questions are just being concentrated in one place. The Sonic forum is the same way, but overall the cars are reliable.

As for reliability, I would definitely place the Kapps's much higher then the newer MINI's we work on, I would never own a 2007+ MINI unless it was under warranty, or I got it for a tremendous deal.
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
So we shall see. I think I'm still going to try to get the Sky.
There are many quirks with the SKY that, by themselves, are proverbial straws. But collectively can break your back. A SKY isn't about the glamor and fun without the price. It's about paying the price for the glamor and fun. The problems are all over these boards, so if you do the homework you won't be surprised. I'll throw out a few for good measure:

1. Center console will crack, if not already.
2. Steering wheel will get stuck (unless you center it...do this always before turning car off.)
3. If you have Turbo, something will go wrong with it. Solenoid, piping, intercooler, clamps...sooner or later; expect it. Could be cheap/small, or could be big/costly.
4. Top must be babied. It will pinch and rip. Rubber seals will need to be replaced...sooner or later.
5. LNF fuel pump ticks. Drives some folks crazy. No mind for others.
6. Three inches clearance at the dam. If you have never driven a low rider, you will definitely need change habits or it will scrape until it's hanging...replace...and repeat.
7. Interior rattles; most can be DIY fixed...but be ready.
8. If it's a 2008....check all the posts on the brake issues.
9. You will need to remove the fender to change battery....or pay for the labor.
10. Changing bulbs in rear is a big pain.

There are many other issues. Of course, any car (especially used) will come with issues. It's just that the kappa tends to have all the standard issues PLUS a lot more unique to a fast track low rate production convertible.

I've had mine over five years. Would do it all over again. But the car is definitely what one would call "high maintenance" in terms of owner care and accommodation. If you are willing to put up with all the extra effort, a SKY is a very rewarding experience. But if the extra effort becomes a pain, then the experience suffers. The gemstone becomes a millstone.
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dont forget to check the radiator hose if its a redline most of the list above are comon to any car or atleast most converitables just be nice to it
Leppyxr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Turbo or LNF?

Anyone daily drive a redline or LNF model?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
No problems that you wouldn't otherwise have to deal with or be concerned about with buying a used 100,000 mile vehicle aside from the quirks of a low convertible.
GMPP Stage 2 Tune
Solo High-Flow Cat/K&N air filter
DDMWorks Backbone/Venom Brace/Kappasphere reBAR
18" Chrome Saturn Rims
newmsy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion