Scareing me... - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyForChrist View Post
Anyone daily drive a redline or LNF model?
Everyday through snow and nice weather.

Hahn Intercooler
Hahn Blow-Off Valve
DDMWorks Extreme Backbone Brace
DDMWorks Pro-Beam

1987 Buick Grand National - the old dog still has some bite!
IronEagle119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I bought my 2008 intending to drive it every day and to special events and even short vacations, i.e., my Phoenix cooling fan snafu trip a few weeks ago as an example. It turned 72K on the ODO on Monday and I'm still averaging 29 mpg to/from work - a whole lot better than my Camaro
Sky_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Lots of us do.

All cars have quirks and issues, and no product has a 100% reliability record. That being said these cars, including the LNF, on average have been extremely reliable.

Out of your alternative choices, the BMW is the least reliable and most expensive to maintain both in and out of warranty.

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Lots of us do.
Out of your alternative choices, the BMW is the least reliable and most expensive to maintain both in and out of warranty.
Yea but its so pretty (not as much as the sky but...)
Sky4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Up until ~2 years ago I used it as my daily driver 36-45 miles each way - all weather (worked@home in deep snow).
Put over 70K miles on it doing that.
Never missed work on account of the drive.

Still drive it for fun and weekends - over 81K now, no problems, no regrets.
May be driving it to the nationals (AZ) this summer...
nomead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
HAHAHA Nice signature Ruination!!!
Thanks! It's true
1992 Isuzu Pickup - Zombie Apocalypse
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
There are many daily drivers of both variety. GS Stage 1 drives his daily in Ft Collins Colorado with snow tires in season

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/
Rob the Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
ok I feel better knowing that, my work is about 10 miles away. and my wife has a Jeep patriot. It also doesn't snow here (all that often) in Dallas. So we shall see. I think I'm still going to try to get the Sky.
Your spidey-sense isnt completely off... there probably are more weekend drivers for the sky than other cars. (meaning compared to other non-sporty, traditional daily drivers)

Honestly... a large group of owners are the empty nesters who already have daily drivers, and the want something for fun cruises. Not much different than those who want a Harley for weekend cruises and an occasional drive to work on a nice day. Says nothing about the quality of the car, or people being afraid to drive it.
Ahnuld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #24 (permalink)

Yes: I drive mine year around. Run snows in the winter. My wife drives her's almost year around (I have Eagle GTs on hers and they have a strip of all-season tread on the inside, seem to do pretty good in light snow), but has another car for the real snow days.

But here is the thing: I always urge caution with the newbee buyers. Because time and time again we see someone purchase a Sky Redline or Solstice GXP, and then immediately start complaining about having to fix things. Guess what? It is a Turbo ROADSTER! It is NOT a Toyota Corolla. These are NOT low maintenance cars by the McDonalds Generation's definition.

By my generations definition, they are very low maintenance cars. But we are accustomed to having to rebuild the carburetor once a year, reset the valves twice a year, and fix rust holes in the body twice a year.

SFC: As long as you are aware of the potential issues, that are well outlined in the forum, and are willing to accept that; then go buy the darn car and have fun. Go buy that Hydro Blue Redline in WV before I do. (I sent the seller's an email a couple days ago, I might be temped to try an make a deal).
Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
By my generations definition, they are very low maintenance cars. But we are accustomed to having to rebuild the carburetor once a year, reset the valves twice a year, and fix rust holes in the body twice a year.
I see where you're a SENIOR member. I thought that had to do with how long you've been on this forum and how many posts you made, but I think it may have a different meaning in your case.

I've been driving for 55 years and I've never had a vehicle that I had to rebuild the carburetor once a year, reset the valves twice a year, etc.
My father did when he was younger, but not me.

So - if you're accustomed to doing these things, you must REALLY be a SENIOR member! You must be in the generation before mine.
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover

Last edited by gladmaker; 01-26-2013 at 02:12 PM.
gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post

SFC: As long as you are aware of the potential issues, that are well outlined in the forum, and are willing to accept that; then go buy the darn car and have fun. Go buy that Hydro Blue Redline in WV before I do. (I sent the seller's an email a couple days ago, I might be temped to try an make a deal).
Well I'm still planing on buying one just not that one. If you want it its all yours Its a beautiful car She won't take less than 25K, I offered 23,507 (yes 7 if you been following this you'll know y)
Sky4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #27 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Well I'm still planing on buying one just not that one. If you want it its all yours Its a beautiful car She won't take less than 25K, I offered 23,507 (yes 7 if you been following this you'll know y)
I wouldn't pay $23K and certainly not $25K for any kappa (well, maybe for the punisher). They just aren't worth that much, no matter the condition or low mileage. At best, KBB (yeah I know, but you need to start somewhere) puts it at $16K

Last edited by Sky_Pilot; 01-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Sky_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #28 (permalink)

Mine is the only vehicle I own. Drove it in ice yesterday. Pushing 80K miles and never a hint of a problem.
rghoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladmaker View Post
I see where you're a SENIOR member. I thought that had to do with how long you've been on this forum and how many posts you made, but I think it may have a different meaning in your case.

I've been driving for 55 years and I've never had a vehicle that I had to rebuild the carburetor once a year, reset the valves twice a year, etc.
My father did when he was younger, but not me.

So - if you're accustomed to doing these things, you must REALLY be a SENIOR member! You must be in the generation before mine.
If you ever owned a 1967 Fiat 850 spider, you would have. I had to carry tools to work on that car while in transit, using them a number of times. one time I had to remove the carburetor to re-torque the head because it came loose and I lost all my antifreeze while on a trip. I always carried enough tools to rebuild an engine, etc. while on the road. My dad did that before me also. In addition to tools we carried coat hangers, baling wire, twine, tin cans with both ends cut out, etc. Today we carry duct tape. I don't do that with my Sky or any other car that I own today. They are all much more reliable today and made to be mostly maintenance free for extended lengths of time compared to the old days.
Red Leather interior
Black top
Automatic
No modifications
EFBRODIESR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladmaker View Post
I can rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet blindfolded in about 15 minutes and I'm betting you haven't even seen one.

And the car that I learned to drive with was a "Three on the Tree".

Sometimes it really is the years, and not just the mileage. When I purchased the Sky, I jumped 38 years in automotive technology. So for me, I still feel like a kid in a candy store.
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion