Several issues with Sky Don't know if I so move on - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Several issues with Sky Don't know if I should move on

Hello I have been a Saturn Sky Redline owner for about 6+ years. I have been active on the Sol Forum and pop in this Forum from time to time. I loved all the great info this forum has. I had a recent over heating problem I replaced the radiator and sky runs fine. Spend about $1100 on that. Now the mechanic is telling me with their
initial diagnostic , that it was burning oil. They said it was blue smoke from my exhaust, and I was losing oil, I was down to 2 quarters. They suggested that I replaced
my engine at the price of $8000. so my question is #1 could this be a bad turbo? #2 Did I pay too much for my radiator installed?

Thank you all. _ concerned sky owner.

Last edited by John77; 05-18-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Garage
First John, welcome to the forum.

For the oil issue, it could be a problem in the turbo. How many miles are on your car?

For the repair, a new turbo is about $600 in parts and not all that hard to replace.

However, I would probably seek a second opinion. If it was the turbo, you'd probably be seeing some check engine light codes and could smell the burning oil. Also, are YOU seeing blue smoke from the exhaust? As for the radiator, seems a bit high for labor and parts from most mechanics as our radiators are not exactly easy to get to but they shouldn't be that hard. Never have priced one out at dealer prices but even an AC Condenser swap wasn't that much at the dealership and they have to remove the front bumper for that too...that was about $400 cheaper than what you paid and at a GMC dealership.

So seriously, I'd look into getting a second opinion and don't tell them what the first mechanic said until after they give you an answer.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Further to what Robo said... did they do a compression test? If not, have the second-opinion folks do that.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
A new LNF engine at DDM Works is $3,895.00.

Built Sosltice / Sky 2.0L LNF Engine by DDMWorks

I'm no mechanic. Does it really cost over $4000 for installation?

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Black leather seats - used to be cloth
Pioneer 4200NEX Head Unit with Backup camera
Tinted Windscreen
Blue LED Footwells
Painted Calipers
Plastidip Wheels Black
LED Headlights
LED Reverse Light
LED Interior Lights
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I reposted because I wasn't sure this was showing. The smoke is white, ( at-least what I saw) I will be getting a second opinion. Thank you all.

I dont know if this would be an issue but I did gap my spark plugs at .28 prior before having these issues. With a tune is that correct or what would you suggest?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I have 75k miles on my redline
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
75k is in the ball park mileage wise for both the water pump and possible turbo replacement. It's early for the turbo, late for the Water Pump...but my water pump went to 70K (and probably could have gone longer) before being replaced.

But that's REALLY early to have blow-by of oil around the rings. Have you checked for water in the oil? Seems like it would be an easy check and I'd assume you'd be seeing high water temps but white smoke could be water getting into the combustion chambers from a bad head gasket or other, more terminal, issues. Water in the oil though (oil would look like chocolate milk if it had water in it) would be a tell tail sign that something very bad was going on. Easy to check and cross off the list though.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Hello Robotech thank you for your replies I'm getting all misfires for my cylinders. I've regapped all my spark plugs to 0.32
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
Misfires on all cylinders on a DI engine

Sounds like Carbon Buildup on the valves

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Misfires on all cylinders on a DI engine

Sounds like Carbon Buildup on the valves
Very true...but doesn't explain the loss of oil IF that is accurate.

If he's burning that much oil that can foul the plugs too and give misfires on every cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John77
Hello Robotech thank you for your replies I'm getting all misfires for my cylinders. I've regapped all my spark plugs to 0.32
John, when you took the plugs out, what did the electrodes look like? Here is a good reference for that:

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Robotech my exhaust smoke is getting worse , especially when at idle and when I hit the gas. I'm in Phx, arizona and there was a azredline guy on here before that was really good with these cars and I cant find him anymore. I love my sky as I know everyone on here does. I just want to fine a mechanic that can work on these cars. And Martin from stricklyaftermarket is here and this guy never answers and seems to avoid me after I buy stuff from him. I was turned down by 2 mechanics because they stated " these cars where beyond my knowledge" I'm doing Bardahl no smoke+stopleak for now. I feel mechanics see our cars they automatically assume we have money. I feel really ripped off paying 1100 for a radiator after finding out on here I over paid. Im hoping its the turbo
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
John, PM me with your details and I'll be sure Martin gets in contact with you. I don't know when you last dealt with him (he is no longer strictly aftermarket...hasn't been for a long time) but I've dealt with him over the last year and a half or so and have had good luck with him. Others have too. Don't know if he has a good mechanic in the area but I know he does have a mechanic and tuner that work on our cars.

The turbo blowing that much smoke should have other signs is the only thing that concerns me...This could be water too but if you're still consuming oil then oil is a better bet. Somehow something is getting into the engine combustion chamber that shouldn't be there...the question is how is it getting in there?

You mentioned you pulled plugs...what did they look like? Also, have you pulled off your hot side charge pipe and looked at it? It's normal for there to be a little oil in there but if the inside of the pipe is covered in it and it pours out a good amount when you remove it then that's a good sign of oil blow by in the Turbo.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John77 View Post
I replaced the radiator and sky runs fine. Spend about $1100 on that?
From what I see, a dealership would have been about $500.00 1.8hrs, $225 for the radiator, about $500. Hate to be the bearer of bad news...... Guess I wouldn't go back to the shop!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
From what I see, a dealership would have been about $500.00 1.8hrs, $225 for the radiator, about $500. Hate to be the bearer of bad news...... Guess I wouldn't go back to the shop!!!
That sounds about right. Sorry OP...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.