Should I buy this Sky Redline!?!? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Should I buy this Sky Redline!?!?

So I plan on trading my 06 Eclipse and adding some cash to buy an 07 Saturn Sky Redline.
I checked the carfax and it's completely clean. It's being sold for $12,000 and has 93,520 miles on it.
I'm still kind of new to buying cars so I don't know if this is a good deal or not.

Would this be a good buy or bad one? And please give your reasons. Thanks
jlz2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Exclamation

Kinda hard to say. But a used R/L with that many miles concerns me, use caution!!.. It could very well be a good deal..but then again it may not...

The carfax doesn't mean anything, just a small tool, its a useful source but I would not trust it 100% for many reasons, mainly those reports do not catch everything and they are 6 months behind and have also been proven inaccurate.

The best thing to do is to inspect that car thoroughly, personally, then have it inspected with a mechanic/technician YOU trust. Put the car up on a lift and check for body damage, especially along the whole edge of the body, the body itself and the cars chin. With that many miles you can bet the car was driven hard, it could also have unseen electronic, mechanical & physical modifications, at this point all warranties are long gone (probably). Is this purchase at a dealer or the owner? Those are my thoughts off the top of my head..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

A car is worth only what someone else is willing to pay for it.
I would be more interested in how the previous owner drove the car. I have never used Car Fax. Does it give mechanical issues/records also?
buzzardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just buy it. Roll the dice.
It's probably fine.
09SkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Does it come with "maintenance & repair documentation?" The price is about right considering the mileage. Does it have any other issues?
carnut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (19)
Send a message via AIM to SaturnSkyDude
A little more info will help with your question OP. What state are you / the car in? Is the 2007 Sky Redline an automatic or 5spd? Any recent maintenance done? How new are the tires and brakes? Is it bone stock or does it have performance mods? I agree 110% with Midnight Blues that you should have a mechanic you know and trust (not their mechanic) thoroughly inspect the car after you do. If there is a reasonable charge for this it is worth it.
5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
K&N air filter
Enjoying another cancer free day :)
SaturnSkyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
I cannot believe the senior members giving this advice...the newbees are dumb...and any senior member who does the academic advice is even dumber...DO NOT BUY THAT CAR, PERIOD!

If u have 13k to lose...buy it.. but it will give u nothing but headaches. It is a parts car basically at this point.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doc

If carpe diem over on the solstice forum decides to buy a camaro you should buy his GXP. I've seen his car at c&c and it is a beauty. Check out the thread on the sol forum - his GXP has fewer miles on it than the Redline you're looking at and he has a boatload of nice mods on his GXP.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
I cannot believe the senior members giving this advice...the newbees are dumb...and any senior member who does the academic advice is even dumber...DO NOT BUY THAT CAR, PERIOD!

If u have 13k to lose...buy it.. but it will give u nothing but headaches. It is a parts car basically at this point.
Just wondering why you think it is a parts car. The mileage?
buzzardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

People make to much of the miles that are on a car. I would take a car with 100,000 miles that was well maintained. Over a car with 25,000 miles that was beat to death. A friend has a 07 Sky with over 125,000, but well cared for. It has never given her a problem. It's all about the maintenance.
warrenhotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhotrod1 View Post
People make to much of the miles that are on a car. I would take a car with 100,000 miles that was well maintained. Over a car with 25,000 miles that was beat to death. A friend has a 07 Sky with over 125,000, but well cared for. It has never given her a problem. It's all about the maintenance.
I agree. Modern cars that have been take care of should go 150,000 miles without major issues.
carnut122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhotrod1 View Post
This is all very academic...he is buying the car off a lot. And I would never buy a SKY with that much mileage...unless u r dropping in a new engine...and disconnecting the idiot lights...and have lots of money. Do u believe this kid has lots of money...GEESH! Let's be relevant. Our cars were not well built...most of us suffered with a R/L and that is why I am happy with the N/A
Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
There are a lot of low mileage Sky's to be had

The experience most have had is that for an NA the mileage is not excessive as they tend to go a lot longer with fewer problems. But for turbo cars, the higher pressures, temps and how they tend to be driven combine to have a lot higher component failure rate as mileage goes up.

Weekly we see people finding RLs with ten or twenty k miles for good prices. That would be a good option.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

[QUOTE=buzzardt;576250]Just wondering why you think it is a parts car. The mileage?[/QUOTE

Asked and Answered
Old 11-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
And I would never buy a SKY with that much mileage...
For a dollar?
Where would the car hobby be without it?"
- Bob Lutz
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion