Sky/Opel rear fog - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum
 

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
GCS
Senior Member
 
GCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 101
My Photos: (0)
Sky/Opel rear fog

New in box Opel rear fog. This is the original OEM red and clear rear fog light that is no longer available. Have one wired into my own sky at the license plate so when I am driving at night it can be seen from behind. Have been offered $200.00. Serious inquiries only please.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
TomatoSoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 2,158
My Photos: (0)
Wait... you have a blinding red fog light on all the time at night? I bet the drivers behind just love you
__________________
Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
TomatoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lllfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Posts: 2,206
My Photos: (14)
Opel fog backup light .
This is a steal .
I posted the install on this light about 3 years ago .
LLLFLY
__________________
08 PW R/L 5-spd,The Wolf
Goodyear Blimp flight 2010 NASSM
Best of Show Old Bridge,NJ 2011
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
GCS
Senior Member
 
GCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 101
My Photos: (0)
.
There's nothing blinding about it.

The Opel unit Is no brighter than your red rear running light. The clear portion of the light is wired into the vehicles back up function.

The custom unit simply acts as a third rear running light. Totally legal. I think this to be the most logical use for the unit. I use standard stock bulbs so its luminosity matches the other two. Looks awesome inside of Norms rear spoiler which is where I have it mounted. Increases night visibility substantially and is never questioned as its OEM. Looks totally stock, and normal except that you will seldom (if ever) come across one.

I wired the red section of the two lamp fixture into the license plate wire so that when the lights come on, so will the red portion of the Opel unit. I than spliced the clear lamp wire into one of the vehicles clear back up lights. The clear portion of the unit has now become an additional back up light which now illuminates when the vehicle is placed into reverse. Easy peeeeezy.

Since I am using standard stock bulbs and not lED's, candle power remains consistent and there was no need to splice any diodes or ballasts into the wiring.



Nothing blinding about it.

... Cheers.
.

Last edited by GCS; 01-20-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Explanation.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
TomatoSoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 2,158
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
I use standard stock bulbs so its luminosity matches the other two. [...]
Nothing blinding about it.
Ahh, OK, well thank goodness for that!

Mind you, I still doubt that it is legal, given you now have three running lights. But no quibble from me if it's the same intensity.
__________________
Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
TomatoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SkyKing1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 123
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
.
There's nothing blinding about it.

The Opel unit Is no brighter than your red rear running light. The clear portion of the light is wired into the vehicles back up function.

The custom unit simply acts as a third rear running light. Totally legal. I think this to be the most logical use for the unit. I use standard stock bulbs so its luminosity matches the other two. Looks awesome inside of Norms rear spoiler which is where I have it mounted. Increases night visibility substantially and is never questioned as its OEM. Looks totally stock, and normal except that you will seldom (if ever) come across one.

I wired the red section of the two lamp fixture into the license plate wire so that when the lights come on, so will the red portion of the Opel unit. I than spliced the clear lamp wire into one of the vehicles clear back up lights. The clear portion of the unit has now become an additional back up light which now illuminates when the vehicle is placed into reverse. Easy peeeeezy.

Since I am using standard stock bulbs and not lED's, candle power remains consistent and there was no need to splice any diodes or ballasts into the wiring.



Nothing blinding about it.

... Cheers.
.
I thought the center backup light was the ONLY backup light.
The red portion on mine is wired as a 4th (pulsing) brake light, tied in with the CMSL. Had to use an LED bulb.
__________________
'09 Ruby Red RL
GMPP upgrade
Solo Mach
DDM backbone (street), probeam, Venom brace, charge tubes, OCC
Sequential turn signals, pulsing third brake light
Kapparack, Opel GT rear fog
Norm's rear fascia
DDM console cover
SkyKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
marlboromike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 14,109
My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing1 View Post
I thought the center backup light was the ONLY backup light.
The red portion on mine is wired as a 4th (pulsing) brake light, tied in with the CMSL. Had to use an LED bulb.
It all depended on how u wired the light...it is a preference of the owner.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
SkyVue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Third Rock
Posts: 1,650
My Photos: (0)
You are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing1 View Post
I thought the center backup light was the ONLY backup light.
Indeed center reverse light is the only white illumination source back there.
SkyVue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
bob
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: De
Posts: 233
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Wait... you have a blinding red fog light on all the time at night? I bet the drivers behind just love you
Its only an 18 watt bulb. The exact same bulb as you would find in low voltage outdoor garden lights.
__________________
09 Sky R/L
Built 6/25/08
Bought 7/7/08

Red Leather
Auto
Chrome
6-Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
GMPP TUNE
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SkyKing1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 123
My Photos: (0)
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the backup light on the Chevy Volt is the same light that was used on the SKY. If so, the light on the European version Opel Ampera should be the same as the Opel GT rear fog/backup light. Mine was "imported" by a guy who went to Europe on business. Anyone going to Europe soon?
__________________
'09 Ruby Red RL
GMPP upgrade
Solo Mach
DDM backbone (street), probeam, Venom brace, charge tubes, OCC
Sequential turn signals, pulsing third brake light
Kapparack, Opel GT rear fog
Norm's rear fascia
DDM console cover
SkyKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
JET WS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Clarkston, MI
Posts: 68
My Photos: (0)
SkyKing1 (Wayne) is correct, it is the same light that is on the Ampera. It is not out of production. And as the rest have said, it all depends on how you wire it up. I have mine wired up as a true rear fog so when you switch it on it is the intensity of the brake light when applied. We wired SkyKing1's as a fourth brake light cause that was his preference. Wiring it as a full intensity fog is a little longer wiring process but definitely not hard.
__________________
2008 Midnight Sky RL
GMPP Stage II
6000K HID High/Low/Fog
Auto-dim mirror
OEM Bluetooth
GMR Sequential Turn Signals
GMR Fender Vent Lights
WindRestrictor V1 & Lit Sills
Opel Rear Fog
Heated Seats

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own
JET WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
GCS
Senior Member
 
GCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 101
My Photos: (0)
Would swap straight up for 2,500 rounds of Remington 22 Golden bullets or CCI, or 100 rounds of 45 cal JHP's, or 100 rounds of 5.56 ammo. Considerably less than what I was offered but if you have tried to buy ammo lately, you know why (no steel jackets).
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.