Saturn Sky Forum banner

Sky rear ended crash

10K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Draike13 
#1 ·
So the DARK day has finally come and just last Friday I was at a dead stop waiting to turn onto adjacent road when BAM! A four door pick-up truck rams right into the rear of my car doing 55mph without even hitting the breaks. The man who hit me was slightly drunk and his truck is totaled. My insurances adjuster is coming out to look at my car but I wanted to see what everyone here thinks about the situation. I figure that the insurance company will not value the sky as we sky owners do. I’m not sure if it will be totaled but I plan to fight them totaling the car with everything I can. Here are some pictures, what do you think, how bad does it look? Note that I did add the Magnaflow 16664 quad exhaust to the car as well as the GMPP CAI.

#3 ·
I will be surprised if it is not totaled. The deck lid and all supporting structure is gone along with the tail light. The right quarter is shoved forward into the door. With the book value of the car versus the cost of the needed repairs it doesn't look good. Hope you can convince them otherwise.

#4 ·
Ouch. So sorry to see this. It's a 2.4, right? It looks like the frame MIGHT have been damaged in this just from the way the trunk looks. If you're lucky it isn't horrible and can be repaired. Bumper cover is done though. That and paint may be considerable. Any other body panels out of adjustment further forward? Quarter panels, doors, etc?

#5 ·
Im amazed at how good the car looks compared to the Truck. But as pointed out, Right 1/4 panel is pushed into passenger door. Did you try open that door? Shall be interesting to see what you can do. Really goining to depend on value of car (how may miles) and what damage is hidden. Was the top up or down? If down (which I assume it was from the pics) I would say your going to need a new top.

#7 ·
Naw that will buffer out. Sorry to hear that. 55 and drunk and totaled his truck and your car( maybe ). Hard to tell at this point. From the photos, the guys might be right here IF the frame is bent, she might be done. Good body shop might be able to, but then again it will never ever be the same. Cost and time, plus PITA paper work. Now the question is did he have insurance? F*ck him and the horse err truck he rode into town on. His insurance company will not like you!

Anytime we lose another one, it is more than just a punch in the gut feeling. Like you lost your best friend, an old dog or dear ole dad's gold watch. YOU survived the impact. Your safe and outside of the "neck injury" from the whiplash effect, you are willing to settle out of court on a full replacement, IF they can find you one? Otherwise give them your lawyer's card, tell them we will see you in court. See what they say to that? Tough little car, send the photos to GM tell thanks to the designers and engineers of the Kappa for saving your life.

We all get that feeling when our baby has been hurt, no matter the make or model. Add in the fact of rarity of the Kappa and the heartache increases ten fold. From the minor fender bender in the parking lot, to getting your ass run into from behind at 55, ( not that I would know anything about that, don't ask ) it will always hurt more than the insurance adjuster knows. He/she will just be doing their job, along company guidelines, remember that. I would wander on over to the threads from ChopTop on low mileage/low price SKY's near your area. Never hurts to look see what is out there, if your considering replacement of the SKY? Have that page up on your laptop, on your car, when the insurance adjuster shows up. Here this one will do, right down the road from my house, sort of thing. If they are smart, he/she will know your not F'eff around here. Your lawyer can take care of the rest for you. You " neck injury " just disappeared, when the 6 figure check arrives!

Side note: Personal experience from along time ago, me and two friends, were driving in D.C. of all places. I was going to check out the location of a new job I just got hired too, when sitting still, making a left turn wham.. slammed from behind by a Ford Galaxy 500 made of steel, not paper thin fiberglass that sent the 3 of us to hospital. Buddies had a dislocated shoulder, one a broken nose, and me a neck injury. Totaled my car... a Pinto of all things. The fireman said you guys were lucky this thing didn't blow up. Comforting thought how nice. No damage what so ever to the Ford. That's life and I am alive to tell you this. Your life is worth more than any car, yes even the Kappa. We got our medical expenses taken care of, I got the replacement check for the car with in a week, bought the Challenger RT and was back on the road in less than a month. It is what it is, and yes you do have to deal with it, but your alive to be able to make another purchase of a Kappa, and be on your way in life again. Next time maybe you are not so lucky. Thanks GM for the tough little SOB of the Kappa.

Glad your ok and keep us all up to date on the results. Now if that elusive 2010 model is out there somewhere, you just never know. Like Wayne from CCC says, it's all about the chase. Also if the prep is locked up, he not going to be driving anytime soon. Maybe never which is a good thing. I would take a plasma torch, and just cutting the steering shaft right on off anything else this fool has. Drive that mofo, if you can? Be lucky I was in such a good mood, not to have used the plasma torch on your wrists!

LAC

#10 ·
I know I piss and moan about the air bag system, but I have looked at lot of these thing wrecked. The cabin on these things seems to be incredibly strong. As long as it does not flip, you have a great chance of survival in any crash it appears. Great little cars. Just stay way from pickups on 40's and your good!!

Yea Bolts, it does not take much to total them anymore. The parts are so expensive it is crazy, and there aren't a lot of them to buy.

I would guess we lose a minimum of 500 a year from looking a the salvage sites I check, and that is not the ones that just get to dinged up to drive, did not have insurance. Sad and very sad days are coming.

#11 ·
Hi, I first off want to take a minute to thank everyone for the support and comments to me and for the situation. This is one thing I love about skyroadster.com is that everyone here seems to stick together and stand for one another! OK so here’s the deal. The adjuster came out today(I have state farm but the guy who hit me has progressive, HE will be paying for the damages). So I told the adjuster right off the bat that I will do whatever it takes to keep this car from being totaled. I was all worked up and ready to fight, even to the point of telling the insurance to screw off and that I was keeping the car even if it was totaled. Anyway, the car is a 2007 and has about 70,000 miles on it. When I was hit the top was down and as many of you said, yes this car can take one heck of a punch. Even with the top down and with it being such a small car vs a speeding truck it still held out strong and I was not harmed too badly(I have back and neck pains but my lovely attorney is taking care of me $$$$$$!!!!) Anyway on to the car; Well after adding everything up and looking though all the damage….the car is NOT TOTALED! It turns out that there’s about $8000 of damage including approximately 70 hours of labor to fix it, BUT IM KEEPING MY CAR!!!! Yes sir my Sky even with that much cost is only at 70% of totaling which according to the insurance is not enough percentage to total it! The top remarkably was not even damaged at all and after some straitening of the rest of the car things will be good as new. There doesn’t appear to be any frame damage since I was in neutral when I was hit the car just rolled forward without anything stopping it. Thank you GM for making one hell of a car, I love this car and if I get some good money from the lawsuit I intend to do an engine swap for an LS7!

#51 ·
Thank you for the update on the figures of what the insurance company gave for not totaling the car out. Which was my question I was looking for answers to. I bought my first sky on the 11th of June and on the 28th of june (2020)was bumped in the rear at the gas pump by a big 4x4 truck. It broke both tail lights and scraped the bumper while it jackknifed my trunk up over the back of the cab thus...could not be opened. Yes the top was in the trunk so I was thinking that it probably bent the frame. But since 5 of state farms own list of repair shops wouldn't even touch my car...I decided to take it to GMC where they are not on state farms list of repair shops but by god they are going to open up t up and judge the damage. I thought they might total it out but of course I want to keep my girl too.

#13 ·
Well good news is good news,... sort of. 70% damage but not totaled. Odd but a 2007, with 70K @ 70% damage you can't make these things up.

When I was hit the top was down. The top remarkably was not even damaged at all:

The Top survived. Amazed at that fact. Big $$$$ had that taken a sh*t. Could have been 3000.00 + for a new frame and canvas replacement. A plus for you.

There doesn’t appear to be any frame damage :

We will see after the body shop gets a " better " look at the frame ? That's what the insurance guys says from your driveway, now the body guy might have a difference of opinion with the insurance guy after a look see. Be prepared for change to the estimate IF that fact is true. A plus for you maybe.

It turns out that there’s about $8000 of damage including approximately 70 hours of labor to fix it, BUT...after some straitening of the rest of the car things will be good as new:

I don't know all about that. Maybe... but it will never be the same as new. I am not up on the current market value of a 2007 with 70K ( blue/black book ) and with $8000 damage to it, I would be optimistic in my guess as to your opinion on that thought. Don't get your hopes up just yet. Great that you get to keep your car, but then again... maybe not. Be prepared for a let down IF the body guy say the frame is gone, then the car is gone too. It is going to be in the body shop for a long time. A month maybe, could be longer. IF this is repaired, don't sign off on it just to get your car back quick. Lot of damage be sure your satisfied and it's safe first.

but my lovely attorney is taking care of me $$$$$$!!!!) :

Yes I hear many attorney's are lovely people! With neck/back injury they just don't go away. You could have them the rest of your life. Ask me how I know this. Still get a pain in my shoulder blade/neck from my accident, and that was 25 years ago. Ok so I see your in Fla. Warm sun, nice beach chair, adult beverage, prescription pain meds at the ready, your phone rings... it's your attorney. Why yes I am home in bed suffering a lot, what do you got for me? The check is on the way, why that is good news, I could get use to this beach thing!!!

Replacement/rental car while yours is in the shop:

No no not that Toyota... more like an Audi S6 RS! One can dream.

Thank you GM for making one hell of a car, I love this car:

They have no clue, unless you tell them why. Yes we all love this thing, but GM has moved on from the brand and the model. Thank Bob Lutz and his boys, they know what your talking about.

IF I get some good money from the lawsuit I intend to do an engine swap for an LS7! :

There you go, I like your thinking on this!

Don't be too quick on anything at this point. Your injuries take time to heal. Your car will take time. Your on the beach, waiting on your attorney call and that takes time too. All of this can change at the drop of a hat. You have been warned, not that I would know anything about waiting for my injuries to heal, they haven't completely, the endless calls to the body shop asking about it's progress, medical bills piling up, bank account going down....BUT wait if you order right now we will double your offer...

I am good with the beach thing, the adult beverages, pain meds and my cell phone.... OH look is that "my " attorney walking down this beach in a non business suit attire...the sage of the rear end collision continues.

LAC

#15 ·
Thanks for fighting for the car. I have State Farm on all my vehicles other than the Mallett. They have been a great company to work with.

Sure looked like a lot more structural damage with the quarter up against the door. Most likely went above the frame a little.

Very happy you are not hurt badly and that you saved this car. I bought a totaled Sky 2 years ago, front end hit. Nothing structural, but hood, fenders, front bumper and bracing were all toast. We fixed it up and it drives better than my unwrecked half the mileage garage princess.

I am trying to save a flooded coupe, if they ever release it. Visit the body shop, every couple of days if possible. I think you get a better job, and they realize the car is important to you.

#21 ·
This car is my baby and it is worth the fight for sure! All my life I wanted a sky and then i finally got one and after having it just 2 short years this happens....I'm not about to give it up now! The entire quarter panel will be replaced and we are going to look into that entire passenger side from the rear t the front to see if and how badly the rest might have been shifted. I think that since my car is so low and the truck is higher that the main impact was just above the frame and so that probably saved a lot of it. I'm glad you were able to get your sky and restore it. These cars are rare enough and we need to keep as many of them as we can. I always said this car will be a collectors item some day in the future seeing as that they are so unique and that only 27,000 total of them were made for only 3 short years of production.

#16 · (Edited)
I read your post when you first posted it but wasn't able to see the pics until today. At first I thought it didn't look bad for someone going 55, but I can't help but think there is some frame damage. It also wouldn't surprise me that if it's possible for a lawyer to request that drivers cell phone records he requested for the possibility of driving and texting. Regardless, here's a short post about the Kappa's hydroforming process: Kappa Platform & Hydroform Process (explained) - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Your accident makes me wonder what I'd do if the same thing happened to my my Sol fastback coupe which I like a lot. However, knowing that there are still low-mileage examples out there, I may be more inclined to let it go. Even typing that is hard, but I'd be thinking that regardless of how well it was repaired that if anything happened to it mechanically or electronically in the furthe that I'd immediately start thinking that it has something to do w/the accident. And then there's the whole diminish value argument since anyone buying the car will know about the accident, but Kappa's aren't exotics so that argument may not apply. Still if I'm buying a car and looking at two comparable conditioned cars, chances are I'd go for the accident free one.

#19 ·
I read your post when you first posted it but wasn't able to see the pics until today. At first I thought it didn't look bad for someone going 55, but I can't help but think there is some frame damage. It also wouldn't surprise me that if it's possible to pull the drivers cell phone records he may have also been texting. Regardless, here's a short post about the Kappa's hydroforming process: Kappa Platform & Hydroform Process (explained) - Pontiac Solstice Forum

Your accident makes me wonder what I'd do if the same thing happened to my my Sol fastback coupe which I like a lot. However, knowing that there are still low-mileage examples out there, I may be more inclined to let it go. Even typing that is hard, but I'd be thinking that regardless of how well it was repaired that if anything happened to it mechanically or electronically in the further. I'm sure I'd start thinking that it has something to do w/the accident. And then there's the whole diminish value argument since anyone buying the car will know about the accident, but Kappa's are exotics so that argument may not apply. But if I'm buying a car and one's been in an accident and one hasn't, chances
Thanks so much for sharing these images! These will really help me get a better feel for what is probably damaged underneath. I can see right away that the rear rail going across the bumper has been bent but I'm sure that can be straightened out. I will keep these images handy as we start to dismantle the car for repairs. The driver who hit me did say that he wasn't looking and was "looking down" must have been on his phone.

#17 ·
This is where I think you may have frame damage. You can see the rear bumper and frame rails (lighter silver U shaped structure) and where they sit in the car. Considering the pictures of the damage before, I can't see how these parts of the frame weren't pushed forward even a little. It shouldn't be too hard to straighten out.

#18 ·
Yes I agree that things can change when the car gets to the shop but I have already planned for some more expenses. It looks like we will be in the clear at least I hope we will be and even if there is frame damage I am told that those issues can be corrected these days with modern tech. I always panned on keeping this car for my lifetime and am still holding onto that dream. I know for a fact that the top is very expensive and quite an intricate part of the car so seeing that there is no damage to it now is such a blessing. As for my attorney I will just see how things play out but am hoping for the best. Im sorry to hear about your accident and hope that your pains don't last forever. In time comes healing hopefully.

#27 ·
...well looks like I was wrong, I was hoping for the best and thought that things were going to be alright but things took a turn for the worst. The body repair shop gave me a call today and gave me the bad news. Turns out after taking the car apart to look at the hidden damage that the car is a complete loss...its totaled. I am trying to fight the insurance company on this but I don't think that I will win. So my baby will most likely be taken and parted out....another sky we have lost guys. I did manage to find a sky for sale in Tampa Florida that only has about 25k miles on it (mine has 80k) and is very similar to mine. So I'm going to look at that one but here's the problem, my sky has the two tone red and black interior and as hard as I search I cant seem to find another one like it that meets my requirements. This sky in Tampa has the straight black interior but what I have decided to do it remove the seats, door panels, and steering wheel from my current sky before the insurance company takes it and switch them out with the plane black interior in the other Sky. So here's my question, does anyone know how to remove all that from a sky? here is the link to the add for the other sky Cars for Sale: Used 2007 Saturn Sky in , Sarasota FL: 34233 Details - Convertible - Autotrader

Attachments

#28 ·
Seats and door panels aren't too hard. Seats you need to unplug harnesses and then unbolt them from the floor. Door panels you need to remove a couple bolts that secure them to the door (can't remember where they are but I'm sure someone knows) and then use a door panel tool (or flathead screwdriver and a lot of finesse) and pry the door panel from the door. Then unplug harnesses between the door switches and the door itself.

As for the wheel, I know there is trim to remove, a bolt to undo, a puller of some sort and more finesse.

Very sorry to hear about the total loss but had a feeling with that kind of damage that it got into the frame. I'm assuming it got into the frame and hence why it's a total loss.

#34 ·
thanks so much for the advice. I wasn't sure if i would need to take the entire seats down to the harness or if i would just need to actual seat without any of the mounting. The door panels I'm hoping won't be too hard in which case I hope that I don't need to work around any wiring. As for the steering column well that is what scares me most cause it has the air bag still in it and I don't want to set it off.

#30 · (Edited)
Door panel removal hints (from Mod: How to add fully automatic Up & Down to your power windows! ):

OK, so first thing to do is remove the driver-side door panel. There are other, more detailed, posts on how to do this (such as: Kappa Specific Sound Deadening Kits). But, basically, you unclip the small panel behind the chrome door latch, and undo the screw there, then undo the screw at the rear edge of the door panel. Then unclip the triangular panel under the main door pull handle and undo the two 7mm-head screws there. Then un-pop the panel with a panel puller, or your fingers, along the bottom edge of the door and slightly up the curve at the rear. Once, the panel is loose, lift the inner panel up off the top lip and lock post. Hold in place with one hand while you unclip the three electrical connectors and slide up and pop off the latch cable from the inside door handle. Carefully set the inner panel aside. (Actually, this is all easier to do than it sounds!)
Go to that thread link at top to see tips on replacing the door latch pull cable when re-installing.

#42 ·
I bet that car was light as hell DaveOC! I mean, we don't have a lot of sheet metal on this car anyway (Small size, no roof) but making the metal body panels we do have out of fiberglass would be a huge weight savings! Norm's hood cuts the weight of the factory hood in half...can you imagine if the trunk, quarter panels and door skins were all equally slender! I know Norm makes other body panels in fiberglass for the Solstice guys...wonder if he has measured the weight savings in totality? I bet it's over 100 lbs.

#43 ·
Personally, I'm pretty sure that particular vehicle didn't even have an engine under the hood, both the hood and trunk lid had prop rods, and the hinges on the trunk lid were slightly sprung. The old guy in charge of carting it around to Saturn dealerships could move it around with almost no help. He said he wasn't allowed to open the hood or trunk while the car was on display. I offered to help him put it back in the trailer after the "show", but he politely declined and proceeded to dust the car with his California Duster. I climbed into my 1 year old Solstice and drove away . . .

:thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.