So Saturn's done. What happens to parts, warranty, repairs, etc?? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
So Saturn's done. What happens to parts, warranty, repairs, etc??

So once saturn shuts down, what does that mean for the availability of parts in the future? Will we still be able to get parts for the Skys? I know some mechanical parts are shared with other cars but what about unique parts like body panels, convertible top, interior components like cupholders, etc..etc. And with no saturn dealers, who will sell the parts?

How about repairs? With no saturn dealers, will we have any other options besides taking the car to our local neighborhood mechanic or some other brand GM dealer that has never seen a Sky in their shop?

This is a little worrisome...
lostcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcause View Post
So once saturn shuts down, what does that mean for the availability of parts in the future? Will we still be able to get parts for the Skys? I know some mechanical parts are shared with other cars but what about unique parts like body panels, convertible top, interior components like cupholders, etc..etc. And with no saturn dealers, who will sell the parts?

How about repairs? With no saturn dealers, will we have any other options besides taking the car to our local neighborhood mechanic or some other brand GM dealer that has never seen a Sky in their shop?

This is a little worrisome...
The Sky specific parts issue is a concern for me too. No matter what they put back for future needs, the supply will run out at some point unless demand warrants an aftermarket manufacturer to pick up the items. I kinda doubt that will happen.

As for service, I am not nearly as concerned. I would imagine part of any Saturn shutdown scheme would include approval for Pontiac (soon to be ex-Pontiac) service centers to perform warranty service on the Sky since it shares its platform and mechanicals with the Solstice. These service centers are aware of the special issues that the Kappa platform has and should have no problem taking care of our cars. I spoke with my local Pontiac service manager and he said he had no problem doing general service on the car and was waiting for approval to do warranty service on the Sky.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

now that pontiacs done, not sure where to go down the road. hopefully the remaining gm brands will be able to offer warrenty work. the drivetrain parts i am not concerned as there are enough models remaining to x ref parts. body panels and suspension compents concern me. I am assuming suspension components are specific to kappa, but i don't know that for sure. I bought the service manual in case i need to do my own(shadetree mechanic) or if i need to bring to a garage that isn't familar with the kappa. Heres hoping.
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
Redline overlay on 3rd brake light
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND
rich71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
People, chill out.

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler. They dont make them any more. They still makenew Jeeps and I have one. But every car reaches the end of its production cycle eventually.

The Kappa cars were destined to follow the normal product lifecyle eventually. Generally the end of the lifecycle is when the producer is no longer making a profit on the product. Try and buy a buggy whip.

the warranty is covered by GM. As long as GM survives then the warranty is good.

Every GM dealer has access to everything to do with any kappa. I get my maintenance done at the local Chevy dealer and they can order every part, have every manual on line and have trained techs who do any and all maintenance. Parts come from GM via their parts ordering system. Currently they can do anything with both my Pontiac and Saturn cars.

Both cars were created to buff the image of two brands, Pontiac and Saturn. Both were not-for-profit efforts created prior to the big bang in the housing and financial industry. Both were there to bring in buyers to Pontiac and Saturn. With the demise of both brands, there is no justification for continuing their production. I have to believe that at some point in time GM may decide its more cost effective to just turn out the lights and stop production. Going through 2010 is probably longer than the numbers justify.

I saw two MGs this weekend along with an Austin Healy. Both cars (and builders) have been dead for what 50 years? Yet there they are running down the street entertaining their owners long after they were out of production and the companies that built them could care less.

There are a lot of advantages for the end of production life coming sooner rather than later. There will be less cars out there and we will better avoid over saturation of the market place like the Miatta has experienced. The coolness and uniqueness factor will be enhanced.

Its really the best of all worlds.
Rob the Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

As long as GM doesn't go completely belly-up, they are required to produce parts for at least 10 years after the final production year.
Lithium Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Lotus View Post
As long as GM doesn't go completely belly-up, they are required to produce parts for at least 10 years after the final production year.
This is not true.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraken1 View Post
This is not true.
Do you have evidence to substantiate that claim?
Monsoon stereo
6-disk CD/MP3 changer
Stubby Antenna
"Redline" Wind Restrictor
K&N Air Filter
35% tint, side and rear windows
uranium-238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium-238 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraken1
This is not true
Sorry to jump in here, but I was going to ask you the same question. This is the first I've ever heard of a requirement to produce parts for 10 years.

One thing's for sure. Unless the Sky becomes a collectible, the trade-in value has just crashed through the basement. Guess I'll be driving it until it falls apart. Of course, I was planning to anyway.
Manual transmission
Midnight Blue/Tan, Spoiler
Monsoon sound, Six CD changer
Chrome Wheels, Leather Inserts
Opel GT Antenna, Wind Restrictor
K&N Air Filter
Personal Audio Link
turbo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not aware of any law requiring an auto-maker to stock parts for x number of years. Their liability is to provide warranty coverage.

GM may have a policy to try to provide parts after the last car sold has ended warranty, but who knows what they will do as a leaner organization.

I do know one thing - as inventory dwindles for a given part, the price gets jacked way up.

Ed
eddf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium-238 View Post
I do. I have a letter from Dodge that was sent to me, and every other Viper owner in the fall of 2002. It stated that with the introduction of the all new 2003 Viper, Dodge would no longer be producing parts for the 2002 and older Vipers. They suggested you visit your Dodge dealer to "stock up" on any parts you think you might need. In less than a year, there were already people on the Viper forum pointing out that Dodge was out of different specific parts. Oddball stuff, like the trim piece on the door around the door handle. The rear glass for the RT10 models, etc. People with 2002 model Vipers did run into issues where there was a warranty claim, with no part available for that particular problem. I know Chevrolet ran into this problem with the 1990-1994 ZR1s. The engine made by Mercury Marine was the big issue, as they ran out of a lot of replacement parts for the engine as early as 1996.

I own a 1996 Viper (original owner). I can tell you FROM EXPERIENCE that everything that is shared on the Sky, like the engine, tranny, rearend, brake system, AC, etc, will be no problem what so ever getting parts to the end of time. However, I assure you, within just a couple of years (like 2), someone will post on here that they broke some little oddball part, and the GM parts computers are saying they have none in stock. I'll bet it will be a replacement seat cover for the Carbon Flash Sky that was a different color and was in a limited run anyway. Or the Door Panel for the Ruby Red Limited Edition that was in the special dark red color.

I just spent 4 *MONTHS* trying to get a specific HOSE for my Viper. Dodge is out of them. Someone on the Viper forum found one for a different car that would work. Radiator hoses have also gotten real hard to find, but an aftermarket company has recently started making them. They are high priced, but at least it is available.

The biggest issue for us Sky/Solstice owners is....We are in GREAT shape with our drivetrain. That is the stuff that will kill you on cost if you can't get it from a dealer. Our engines, trannys, and rearends are out of other GM products that are still being produced, so we are fine in that area.

Saturn stores are going out of business. Pontiac the brand will be gone in a year and a half. After that, the former "Pontiac/Buick/GMC" dealer will still be there, but will take down the Pontiac sign. Their staff, trained to work on the Solstice will still be there. They will still have the same parts inventory, tools, etc. It will probably suck like hell having to deal with a Pontiac dealer instead of the wonderfull care we get from our Saturn dealers, so get ready! My two local Pontiac dealers are SO HORRIBLE that is why I now own a Sky, to get away from them!
GMPP Tune/MBRP Charge Pipes/DDM Backbone & Probeam/K&N Drop in/HIDs
*Thank You Bob Lutz* And Wilmington UAW 435
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, I do all the work on my own cars, so as long as I can find parts I can fix things. My greatest concern is when are things going to get scarce? As long as that happens after the car is paid off, I'm fine.
Monsoon stereo
6-disk CD/MP3 changer
Stubby Antenna
"Redline" Wind Restrictor
K&N Air Filter
35% tint, side and rear windows
uranium-238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Everyone panic!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

British Layland shut down way back in the late seventies. I can still find parts for my 1975 Triumph Spitfire as long as I do some research....Skip.....
"smart azz redneck that loves to drink that Jack and chase women".......My kind of guy.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
I would like to buy one of the computers needed when the idiot light goes on..at least u can bring it with u to someone who knows what it is saying.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, I bought a shop manual back in January. I have a feeling I'll need it sooner rather than later.

“Dragon Slayer”
Yellow '08 RL, 3 pedals, cow skin
Options: shiny rims, mud flaps, aerodynamically questionable airfoil
Mods: GMPP LNF tune, etched glass Windblade, DDM Backbone & Pro-Beam
Upgrades: Phase-plasma rifle in the 40-watt range
GordoSH-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion