Saturn Sky Forum banner

Solstice USB / UUI Radio's in Stock?

7K views 69 replies 13 participants last post by  skersfan 
#1 ·
So, the radio on my Sky just died. Totally died.

As in, d-e-a-d, the LCD panel has failed and I'm stuck on one AM radio station. Worse, the Aux port has decided to get a very deafening hum... likely from the RF caused by the LCD failure (or some dead capacitor).

I called a dealer in Hawaii (only timezone still open) and they tell me that 20768367, the Solstice UUI radio, is in stock. I asked if it was being interchanged, and they said no, it was that part number and not a replacement.

This was a surprise to me as GMPartsDirect claims it is dead - replaced with another part (guessing US9). But, then I remembered that someone got a Rear Fog from GM recently (though my order got interchanged - someone in Detroit felt pity and shipped me his from his lab).

So now I'm left to decide - do I order a UUI radio from the Solstice? Odds it really is back in stock and not swapped with a US9? Thoughts? Bueller?

#2 ·
As long as theres a return policy, and you really want the UUI radio, I'd say do it.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah except it's hell returning these parts sometimes. Had to do chargebacks once or twice because dealers sent a different part number - wouldn't/don't want to take back. Was hoping someone had more eyes-on confirmation it's actually in stock.

I mean, if GM parts departments were accurate - I wouldn't be looking at a generic backup light for my Sky when I specifically ordered a rear fog.

Just remembered I have an appointment Monday with my dealer for G6 recall. I'll go chat with the parts department while I'm there.

Really don't want to order this unless I know it's not going to wind up getting interchanged with a US9 :banghead:

#5 · (Edited)
That can be fixed. Especially now that I have a dead US9 to hack away on.

Not sure I'd do that mod right away though. Just want to get back up and running with a radio that does what I want.

#7 ·
I actually have a G6 UUI radio in my house - but I would strongly prefer a Kappa-calibrated radio. I have this inate fear of the door chime or audio level issues.

My wallet has an inate fear of having to buy amps/preamps to fix the audio levels.

I know some G6 radios have been pretty plug and play on Kappa, but the problem is there are multiple vendors (ACDelco and Panasonic), so it's still a bit risky.

If you're looking at other radios I strongly recommend avoiding the G5/Cobalt UUI as you cannot change the chime volume on those at all. There was a service bulletin about it.

#13 ·
I actually have a G6 UUI radio in my house - but I would strongly prefer a Kappa-calibrated radio. I have this inate fear of the door chime or audio level issues.

My wallet has an inate fear of having to buy amps/preamps to fix the audio levels.
The audio level issue is simple. If you have a Monsoon system in your car, the radio can be non-monsoon and thus too loud. Simply get an level-match adapter, such as a PAC SOEM to reduce the levels into your amp.

If both are Monsoon (car and new radio) then no issue.

If the radio is Monsoon and your car isn't, THEN you have an issue and have to add amplification (which was what I had to do :()

Note: even in the former case, some folks say it's possible to reprogram the radio to drop the levels - never found anyone that could do this, but maybe your WAMS pal could?

#8 ·
I was going to offer up a used UUI radio out of a Pontiac G6, but then I found these. There are several UUI radios from Cobalts, G5s, and Malibus on Ebay at Discount OEM Radio's storefront.

Several price options (some obviously based on condition), but still, the G5 radios can be had for less than $50... that's a steal.

Ebay - Discount OEM Radios USB Radios

(There's a couple other non-GM radios, because I just searched for 'USB' on their storefront.)

#9 ·
Remember when installing these radios they have a built in amp...that means you will need to be careful with volume control or u will blow your speakers...it will also increase the level of your chimes and turn signal clicker...but I would still go with the usb radio...also the radio will need a tech 2 to reprogram it to yor vin #

#10 · (Edited)
That's why I want to go with a Solstice UUI - same levels as the Sky.

On radios other than the Cobalt/G5 head unit, you can hold down the 6 preset key and turn the door chime levels to low. That makes it tolerable (apparently - I haven't tried it). Still, not ideal.

I have others working on the notion of reprogramming (hacking) a G6 UUI with the Solstice/Sky audio levels - but that is a last resort, though it would give us all a drop-in upgrade option for around $100 that works just like a Kappa UUI would.

#12 · (Edited)
Here's the bulletin:

Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - g6 uui usb radio transplant into gxp w/monsoon

According to the bulletin, I was correct - the only UUI radios impacted by that were the Cobalt and G5 UUI head units.

What I am uncertain on is how proper the audio levels are with a G6 UUI on a Kappa, even with the low/normal-chime trick.

Dealer is probably going to tell me to file it under CNA extended warranty and use the Solstice radio if it's in stock. Fingers crossed it's in stock for real.

#16 ·
It's a bit more complicated than that. If you want to keep the Saturn colors, you have to (theoretically - I haven't done it yet):

* Dremel the USB port (it can't be re-routed since it's flush with the faceplate)
* Transfer the LCD cover
* Transplant the LEDs on the buttons

If you're going to all that effort today, there's an easier route. Grab an Aura UUI radio and then you just have to transfer the piano black plastics. Aura UUI and Sky UUI are probably identical other than the plastics from what everyone is saying in this thread.

Not sure how hard it is to get an Aura UUI, but it's harder than getting a G6 UUI, and less hard than getting a Sky UUI :)

#17 ·
Or you can use a UUI radio from an HHR, as they also had the same USB port layout with daughter board as in the Sky and Solstice. Those are not terribly difficult to come across if you're patient, and is what I put into my 2008 non-monsoon car. As long as you don't have a 2009 US8 or US9 radio and face plate, you can do a face plate swap and reroute the USB to wherever you want.

*Note - through an unfortunate set of circumstances, it has been determined that 2009 US8 and US9 face plate are NOT interchangeable with the UUI radios.

#18 · (Edited)
*Note - through an unfortunate set of circumstances, it has been determined that 2009 US8 and US9 face plate are NOT interchangeable with the UUI radios.
I've seen one or two people that have done that, complete with dremeling the USB port through the US8/US9 piano black plastic (their USB was on the left-center). They did mention it was a royal pain.

Just got a couple of emails from wreckers that have Aura UUI's - progress.

Edit: That said, did you have any audio level issues. Everything work like your last radio volume-wise?

#19 ·
Oh my god.

What a clusterf#$&.

First of all, most all GM radios have internal amps, even the ones used in Monsoon systems. The software programming sets the correct output levels for different speakers or amp/no amp systems.

Second, like I said before, I got a G6 UUI radio for my Sky (20834560 - just found the receipt for it). The chimes were super loud when I first put my radio in too. I just had a dealership mechanic program it with the right options and it works fine. Your success may vary here as the programming is a little complex and some techs may not know how to do it (especially if you choose to refer to your local GM establishment as a stealership, they may not want your business).

Third, I rerouted my USB. I opened up the radio, and soldered an additional USB cable onto the existing pins from the front USB connector. I wired this out the back, then to the dock that I made for my iPhone. I slide the phone into place, it charges, and I can go through the menus on the radio. If I ever want to use a USB flash drive or something in the future, that option is still there because I didn't touch the front USB port.

Regarding LED colors, the G6 radio was red backlit buttons and a white-lettered screen. This went perfectly in my case as I had already done all the other buttons (steering wheel, window switches, etc) in red as well, and have a white DIC with custom gauge faces.

Sorry for being harsh but the mindset on this forum amazes me to this day. Never have I seen a group so focused on talking about "mods" instead of actually doing them. Just do your research, buy some s#!t, and make it work! This isn't rocket appliances.

#20 · (Edited)
It's not rocket science, but to be frank, it is costly. A UUI runs $100 to $300 per piece. So asking thorough questions is necessary.

As to the audio levels, that's a pretty important topic seeing as the Solstice UUI is now in-stock and an option. If you can't find someone to do the software reprogramming (and I've yet to find the solution myself, nor has anyone else I've asked) then it gets messy.

I'm now leaning more towards sourcing a Solstice UUI - assuming it is in-stock, which I'll know late tomorrow with more clarity.

I appreciate your information - but there's no need to insist that people waste hundreds to find out what works and what doesn't.

As to the audio level change, it's either in SPS or Tech 2 - has to be since multiple (well, at least two, tf02 and one other) persons have managed to get a G6/Cobalt/Aura re-programmed with Sky/Solstice audio levels. The question is, where/how.

I'm very inclined to take a G6/Aura head unit and document the steps (even screen cap them for people) in Tech 2 or SPS if someone can walk me through it. Then we'd all have a guide, and anyone could add *any* UUI easily - possibly even with non-Monsoons without the need to add an amp.

#22 · (Edited)
Edit: Redacting and replacing. Such comments don't need to be dignified with a response.

If anyone does know the Tech 2 or SPS process for calibrating a head unit to different model car's speakers, it would be welcomed. Especially since tf02 indicates it is available and would eliminate any need to adjust the amp levels.

Could also open the door to replacing US8's with UUI's sans the need to deploy an amp. I know at least two people that would happily do that... so yeah, people do care.

#24 · (Edited)
On a different note, I did get a GM master tech from elsewhere to chime in this morning.

They suggested trying to calibrate the UUI from a Cobalt/G5/G6/Aura by using an MDI and feeding SPS the part number of the radio with the calibrations that you want (for example - plug in Aura UUI, feed it the part number of the Sky UUI), and it might change flash the calibrations for perfect audio leveling.

It's enough for me to test... I'd suggest others wait for me to post back though before getting hopes up and ordering one.

Edit: Oh, and the big tidbit. I was encouraged to try (though I don't have a test mule at the moment) to try putting a UUI into a US8 car and do the same with SPS. Supposedly it could eliminate the need for an amp! That opens the door truly to upgrading any Sky with base audio to get a USB port for a benjamin.

#27 ·
Well, we will get some definitive answers. As of this morning now have an HHR UUI, a G6 UUI, and, if it's really in-stock, a Solstice UUI en route as a backup.

Overkill? Perhaps, but I only get one shot with the labor billable to my extended warranty. I can always return the Solstice UUI and fleabay the G6 UUI, easily.

I really think Black_Out has stumbled on something here.

His HHR UUI may have been a drop-in success without door chime issues because it's likely GM didn't change the audio levels between any of the Delta cars. Kappa shares the interior with Delta (hence the ignition switch recall).

All of the G6 / Aura (Epsilon) UUI units I've heard about had either 1) Chime-level issues or 2) Were reprogrammed/recalibrated via Tech2/SPS.

I'm starting to suspect that Kappa uses the same audio level defaults (in programming) as Delta HHR/Cobalt/G5 radios - hence why those head units work drop-in with no audio leveling issues.

#28 ·
I'm starting to suspect that Kappa uses the same audio level defaults (in programming) as Delta HHR/Cobalt/G5 radios - hence why those head units work drop-in with no audio leveling issues.
AGAIN, the audio level issue is PURELY one between radio configured for external amp's (or not) and cars with external amps (or not):

The audio level issue is simple. If you have a Monsoon system in your car, the radio can be non-monsoon and thus too loud. Simply get an level-match adapter, such as a PAC SOEM to reduce the levels into your amp.

If both are Monsoon (car and new radio) then no issue.

If the radio is Monsoon and your car isn't, THEN you have an issue and have to add amplification.

#29 · (Edited)
Edit: As they say - just do it. I'll know soon enough as I have all three radios now!

I suspect Epsilon UUI's do have calibration differences. But, it's a great way to test all three.

#30 ·
I've been able to locate a UUI radio from a 09 Aura. The display color seems to be the same as our Sky radio, however, the radio bezel is light gray instead of piano black. I also have another UUI radio from a 09 HHR.

I contacted wams, and they said reprogramming is possible, so, come spring, i'll send the radio to them, for reprogramming. I'm not sure how they will do this, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for them. :skep: We'll see. :D

#32 ·
I've been struggling with fixing a battery drain issue with my aftermarket head unit, so in the meantime, I replaced the aftermarket unit with the stock head unit. Let me just say, the stock unit is an appalling piece of crapola, that sounds terrible, looks terrible, and is terrible to operate. Why anyone would spend money trying to replace it with the same unit that also has USB input when they could get a *far* superior aftermarket unit for the same or less money baffles my mind.

Unless of course, they don't like having a constantly dead battery... :banghead:

#38 ·
Fair enough, but I think if you don't at least give yourself the opportunity to listen to a quality aftermarket unit compared to the stock unit, you are doing yourself a serious disservice. The quality of sound that comes from the exact same speakers and amplifier is a world of difference. The stock unit makes everything sound like it is underwater; I can't even listen to it now.

I can appreciate that some people like the stock "look," however.

#36 ·
Come-on Mike! You went through this with your multiple threads on this same situation and with no concrete answer. Give the Kid his chance, maybe he'll come up with something we were not able to accomplish... :cheers:
Now you have a Saturn SKY USB radio and want no part in this discussion, shame on you!... :nono:

#35 · (Edited)
Putting aside comments that don't deserve to be dignified with a response, a GM tech is working on my UUI's this moment.

As a bonus, I should also be able to report back if SPS will reflash a UUI with base audio equalizer and tunings. That would mean you could UUI up your car without Monsoon... without any modifications to the stereo setup (no amp, etc).

FWIW, the GM master tech at my dealership said "Cool - I don't know but we're going to find out... no charge." I think it was because I was the first customer ever to bring in a Tis2Web calibration layout - highlighting UUI with the UZ6 base stereo cal's.

I think it would be pretty neat if the non-Monsoon Kappa's could get UUI's without having to mod their stereo's. So I've lent them a non-Monsoon G6 to also try and deploy that too.

P.S. To tf02, you obviously missed the original post where I noted that my US9 radio has died - under extended warranty. Re-read the OP since it seems like you missed that... unless it will lead to more consternation, then just take my word for it. To the rest, I started this thread noting the Solstice UUI was back in stock - which was new information.

If you don't like this thread, simply ignore it, and I'll post back my results - others (have) continue(d) this thread as they wish... you have every opportunity to ignore it.

#44 ·
I guess being old and not really caring for much on the radio, I could care less. Mine works perfectly for siris/xm college game day, which is about all I listen to. Never heard a single gurgle from it. I have on star to use the phone if I need it. But would rather not talk on the phone when in the car.

Lost a close friend this summer, riding his bike and some young girl ran over him while texting. Need stiffer fines or consequences for driving and talking/texting on the phone. Too many people dying from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.