Saturn Sky Forum banner

Solstice USB / UUI Radio's in Stock?

7K views 69 replies 13 participants last post by  skersfan 
#1 ·
So, the radio on my Sky just died. Totally died.

As in, d-e-a-d, the LCD panel has failed and I'm stuck on one AM radio station. Worse, the Aux port has decided to get a very deafening hum... likely from the RF caused by the LCD failure (or some dead capacitor).

I called a dealer in Hawaii (only timezone still open) and they tell me that 20768367, the Solstice UUI radio, is in stock. I asked if it was being interchanged, and they said no, it was that part number and not a replacement.

This was a surprise to me as GMPartsDirect claims it is dead - replaced with another part (guessing US9). But, then I remembered that someone got a Rear Fog from GM recently (though my order got interchanged - someone in Detroit felt pity and shipped me his from his lab).

So now I'm left to decide - do I order a UUI radio from the Solstice? Odds it really is back in stock and not swapped with a US9? Thoughts? Bueller?

#58 ·
No!
Maybe you forgot what happened after you were in shock when you saw him bring out the SKY USB radio.. :lol:
Yes you were there to pick up my cobalt USB radio that was not work correctly. That's when I ask you over the phone to ask the Tech if he has a USB radio that would work on my SKY. That's is why he went to the back, and came out with the SKY USB radio... All is well but you have forgotten! :cheers:

#59 · (Edited)
You got it wrong, AGAIN. Here is the non fiction tale :lol: Remember, we both had colbalt USB radios, but I had mine first...well, I found this place that repaired GM radios and electrical components...I then brought my radio in for them to unlock mine. While there, I asked if they had a SKY USB radio and he said he did not but he would order me one at a discounted price. I gave him a nice tip, of course...and during that period you got your radio which did not work on your car...then I told u to send it to me...and when u did, I went back up there...and he had my radio at that time...MINE! MINE! MINE! :lol::lol::D

This is becoming the Tale of 2 Tales.

#69 ·
Well, I said I wasn't going to post back until I had definitive results.

I have successfully gotten a UUI radio to work without any physical changes to a car with a US8 radio. Everything, including door chimes and radio reception works.

Thankfully from all this testing/work, I had the right parts to do some A/B testing and debug. Having a Tech 2 nearby also proved very helpful.

It appears that Panasonic-built UUI radios have firmware that is more adaptable.

The Delphi UUI's that I tested in US8 cars all had issues. Door chimes that wouldn't change, poor radio reception (lack of amplification), and audio-level issues.

So, to those naysayers - I give you progress. If you have a US8 car and want a UUI radio, grab a Panasonic-built one, and give it a shot. Can't promise that it will always work, but it did for me.

As to my Monsoon-toting Sky with a (defective) US9 radio, it's getting a Solstice UUI until I find a Sky UUI radio for a reasonable price.

P.S. It was fun taking apart all these radios and finding the differences. For some reason, Delphi UUI's are a lot more temperamental firmware-wise but have better knobs and buttons. Panasonic's feel cheaper - but hey, I'm not complaining. Both my cars now work with all my USB devices, including full iOS 8 app integration.

#70 ·
YIPPEEEEEEE!

Just too old to appreciate all your effort. My original radio works just fine. See no reason to change it for any reason. Never have been big into that. I really have no need for a phone in my car, and hearing is evidently so bad it would not make any difference anyway.

Glad you succeeded in your quest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.