Soon to be new redline owner - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Soon to be new redline owner

I joined this forum today in anticipation of getting a Sky Redline. I am currently looking for an 08 black redline and as soon as I find one with low mileage, and in good condition, I will be adding it to my stable. I currently own a 06 Crossfire, a 78 MGB, and a 73 240Z. As you can see, I am a fan of rwd two seaters. Since I have never owned or even driven a redline, I am looking for information as to what to look for that might not be obvious to a first time buyer. I have been reading the posts on this forum almost daily since I decided to get a redline. Haven't seen much reoccurring issues, but maybe someone can give me a heads up on what to look for.
Thank you in advance for any info you can give me.
cmob
cmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
A14

Definitely look at front and rear fenders. They can crack if lifted improperly. The is a post somewhere where Rob the Elder lays out all the things to look for if you use the search you sure be able to find it.
A14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

They're not perfect by any means but they're good cars. Surely will be far more reliable than the MG.
rghoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would suggest driving one locally first. I only say that because they are alittle smaller than I anticipated. Luckily I am on 5 8. I tend to like my seat back leaned back alot and thats just not possible in my redline. I did NOT drive one locally and bought mine 300 miles away. I have played with seat positions and have found a comfortable place to leave it but by no means is it the way I would prefer. Just a thought to keep in mind.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoriasky View Post
I tend to like my seat back leaned back alot and thats just not possible in my redline.
its a roadster, not a cutlass.

miller11386 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to Sky4christ
GET IT I cannot stop smiling with mine
Sky4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
pjb

I just got rid of my 08 Redline a few weeks ago. It was black, black leather, black top, 5 speed manual, rear spoiler, 35k miles, with Trifecta budget tune, magnaflow exhaust, and a clear wind restrictor. In great condition. I traded it in in Waldorf MD, and the dealer shipped it out right away to another dealer that wanted it. I don't know where it went.
pjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
I just got rid of my 08 Redline a few weeks ago. It was black, black leather, black top, 5 speed manual, rear spoiler, 35k miles, with Trifecta budget tune, magnaflow exhaust, and a clear wind restrictor. In great condition. I traded it in in Waldorf MD, and the dealer shipped it out right away to another dealer that wanted it. I don't know where it went.
Exactly what I am looking for....If you don't mind, what did you get for it? And, WHAT DID YOU TRADE IT FOR????
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
pjb

My commuter car got totaled, and I almost never take my Camaro out of the garage. The Sky was just not a practical daily driver, because it's too small to put anything into. As a 3rd car it was fine. I got rid of it and bought the 2013 Ford Fusion. I got about $3k more than what I owed on the Sky. My only complaint about the Sky is that it is too little to be of much use. If I want to not be able to take much with me, I have 3 motorcycles.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

I understand. I have 3 cars now. A Crossfire convertible, An MGB, and a 240Z, all 2 seaters, so I am used to not hauling much. I found an 08 redline locally with 80k miles on it for 14800.00. Would you be afraid of that mileage?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
pjb

too bad we didn't have this discussion a few weeks ago. I traded mine for $14k. It had only 35k miles. Never had a single problem with it. Besides the add-ons described above, the only thing I ever did was change the Mobil1 oil filter and Mobil1 oil whenever the oil life got down near 10%.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmob View Post
I understand. I have 3 cars now. A Crossfire convertible, An MGB, and a 240Z, all 2 seaters, so I am used to not hauling much. I found an 08 redline locally with 80k miles on it for 14800.00. Would you be afraid of that mileage?
There are a growing number of our cars with mileage over 100K miles that have been mighty reliable, with no major repairs.

My experience with a lot of GM cars under my belt is that there is a mileage where there is a greater frequency of repairs than normal, that mileage is between 75k to 90K miles.

YMMV.
2006 Solstice NA #000741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmob View Post
That is a little high, but not a terrible price.

My RL was very reliable through 88k miles
miller11386 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you all for your responses. I sincerely appreciate the info. I may sell my 240z so I can increase my budget and get a very low mileage 08 and do the turbo mods.

I have a follow-up question about transmissions. Does anyone think I could approach 13sec with an automatic? How reliable do you think the Automatic would be at 300hp? I heard there is a torque converter mod to improve the automatic.

Any thoughts????
Thanks,
Cmob
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

I FOUND IT! Flew up to Philly yesterday bought a black redline manual tx, and drove it home to Orlando the same day! What an exhilarating experience. 1000 miles down I 95 with no owners manual. Had to figure everything out on my own, having never driven a sky or even sat in one, but I made it, and I am in love! What's next only heaven knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion