Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure

I finally decided to move forward with my upgraded speaker components and subwoofer. I used the following components:

CDT Audio EuroSport ES-Gold 6 1/2", 4" 3-way Component Sys-ES300cc xover
Kicker 06ZX550.2 Component Amp
Sony XS-L10S Subwoofer
Kicker 08ZX750.1 Sub Amp

Had the enclosures wrapped in carbon fiber and had a custom cover put over amp in the trunk. The other amp was put behind the driver side seat. I moved up from 3.5s to 4s in the rear and you can really hear these so I think it was worth keeping the rear speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-032-2304-x-1728-.jpg   Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-034-1728-x-2304-.jpg   Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-040-1728-x-2304-.jpg   Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-042-2304-x-1728-.jpg   Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-045-2304-x-1728-.jpg  

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3359313
BSRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

More Pictures

A few more pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-033-2304-x-1728-.jpg   Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-035-1728-x-2304-.jpg   Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-041-2304-x-1728-.jpg   Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-038-1728-x-2304-.jpg  

Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (5)
Very nice job.
Stubby Antenna
Dual CAI-Fujita
Magnaflow Dual Exhaust w/ quad tips
Kazera KZ-L Wheels w/ G-Force Tires
DDMWorks - Tune and Backbone
SWTSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (0)
Looks Great! It's kinda hard for me to tell where the components are located because of the close ups. Any problems with over heating/ cutting out having the amp covered like that? Nice install. Did you do it? If not, how much can someone expect to pay for an install similar to that?
SKY 4 ME
Auto
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
Single Disc
Monsoon
XM
Deposit 3/10/2007
Order number 6/28/2007
Delivered 8/4/2007
MSRP + GM Employee discount
UPShield
Little Chromies
Stubby antenna
SKY 4 ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

No I didn't do it myself. I had a local shop do it. The components are located in the same locations. The ones in the door fit fine with no issues. Same for the tweeters. The rears required a cut out and special mount bracket but are located in the same place as stock. It wasn't cheap but then again I wasn't about to do it myself nor could I make it look so good.

The amp in the trunk with the cover - shouldn't be an issue with overheating becasue the cover is not snug plus it has the cut-outs. But I just had it done so I can't really comment anymore on it until I've had it awhile.

Send me a PM if you want to know more.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to darrylba
Nice

I was wondering if someone would try to install a Sony Flat Sub. But I did you one better. I put in the Sony 12 inch. I can't turn that thing up at all, it hits so hard. It will blow u out of the seat. And it literally shakes the car. But I love it though. Would be interesting to see how the 10 inch sounds and feel. Again, very nice install. Not sure if you are going to Mecca tour, sure be nice to compare systems. Here is a pick of my 12 inch , its behind the driver seat, eactly where I want it. Still have a bit of trim work to do though
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker Upgrade/Custom Subwoofer Enclosure-pic7.jpg  
darrylba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Looks nice.

I went with the Pioneer 10" flat sub and am quite pleased with it.
LostBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylba View Post
I was wondering if someone would try to install a Sony Flat Sub. But I did you one better. I put in the Sony 12 inch. I can't turn that thing up at all, it hits so hard. It will blow u out of the seat. And it literally shakes the car. But I love it though. Would be interesting to see how the 10 inch sounds and feel. Again, very nice install. Not sure if you are going to Mecca tour, sure be nice to compare systems. Here is a pick of my 12 inch , its behind the driver seat, eactly where I want it. Still have a bit of trim work to do though
From the sound and thump of the 10" I would say the 12" must blow you away. I can turn my system up half as loud now and it is louder than when it was turned all the way to max before I did the amp and speaker upgrades.

How much did you loose in the way of moving your seat all the way back? I'm tall so I couldn't afford to lose much there.

Sorry, I won't make the Mecca tour this year, maybe next year...

Old 04-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSRL View Post
From the sound and thump of the 10" I would say the 12" must blow you away. I can turn my system up half as loud now and it is louder than when it was turned all the way to max before I did the amp and speaker upgrades.

How much did you loose in the way of moving your seat all the way back? I'm tall so I couldn't afford to lose much there.

Sorry, I won't make the Mecca tour this year, maybe next year...
I am 5'9, only 1 notch. My first sub was a power acoustic flat dual voice coil, big mistake, blew that speaker not even in a half day. I was not that keen on Sony equipment either. I had to move 2 plan B. I talked to a sterep guy at local flea market and he told me, I would not be disappointed. I got a good price $99. And man he was right. I only have the input on amp set at 1 qtr, and on my deck, sub level 2 and presets on my deck EQ. This thing shakes the car. I dont think I can stand the levels being higher. Where I have it set is a great balance of hearing and feeling the music, just the right balance for top up or top down driving. Man, and I was thinking about putting 2 of them in the car at first. Not going there my friend. This is enough. Again, I am very pleased with the sub and its durable. There is a breakin period and it will sound even better with time. I recommend Sony subs. They are single voice coil, but I certainly dont notice. I am sure the 10 can handle what ever you throw at it. Again, your set up is very nice.

Last edited by darrylba; 04-06-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
Looks nice.

I went with the Pioneer 10" flat sub and am quite pleased with it.
What are your other components?

db
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSRL View Post
I finally decided to move forward with my upgraded speaker components and subwoofer. I used the following components:

CDT Audio EuroSport ES-Gold 6 1/2", 4" 3-way Component Sys-ES300cc xover
Kicker 06ZX550.2 Component Amp
Sony XS-L10S Subwoofer
Kicker 08ZX750.1 Sub Amp

Had the enclosures wrapped in carbon fiber and had a custom cover put over amp in the trunk. The other amp was put behind the driver side seat. I moved up from 3.5s to 4s in the rear and you can really hear these so I think it was worth keeping the rear speakers.
Very nice!!! I checked out your pictures on the you website. How hard was it to fab the Amp and Sub? Are you able to post a step by step instruction. I am just starting mine, and would like it to look professional like yours. Out of all the sites including this one I have visited researching my audio project I do have to say by far yours has been the most thorough and professional. GOOD JOB MY FRIEND!!!!
Vegas_Sky_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
BSRL,
Very Nice,
A lot of hard work.
Well done and 10 stars to you on this mod.
LLLFLY
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Sky_Owner View Post
Very nice!!! I checked out your pictures on the you website. How hard was it to fab the Amp and Sub? Are you able to post a step by step instruction. I am just starting mine, and would like it to look professional like yours. Out of all the sites including this one I have visited researching my audio project I do have to say by far yours has been the most thorough and professional. GOOD JOB MY FRIEND!!!!
Wow, this is an old thread but the system is still working great. I didn't fab the stuff myself but it should be no problem for any shop with who does this kind of work. I would just ask around your local area. The custom work really is not the issue although it can be a tad expensive. The biggest thing is getting the right amp(s) to match the components/speakers/subs you select or vice versus. Good luck!

Last edited by BSRL; 01-03-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

I can't believe this thread is this old. The other night as I was driving home from work I thought there has to be a thread about speaker upgrades and this shows up. Thanks to everyone over the years who have improved our sound. Now if I can find a radio upgrade LOL.
midnightinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion