Squeaking sound coming from right front wheel - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Squeaking sound coming from right front wheel

So guys I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a root cause on this issue. In just the past couple days I have started noticing a squeaking sound coming from the front passenger side wheel area.

This sound is a rotating sound that only happens when turning left, and is not constant. there is a break in the squeak at some point in the rotation and then starts again once it clears that spot.

In the winter I slid at 3-4 MPH into a curb when my wheels couldn't handle the slick snowy/icey road conditions. The shop had to replace the rim and a tie rod. I'm thinking this is directly related to this incident, but not certain what it could be.

I do not beleive it to be the brakes and the sound does not go away when I apply brake pressure. The sound is increasingly noticeable the sharper the turn I make. No sound when driving straight, turning right, or at high speeds the sound is also not noticeable.

Does this sound like a axle/bearing issue? Has anyone noticed an issue like this before? Also do you believe that this is directly related to the impact the passenger front rim took a few months back?

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Hahn Intercooler
DDMWorks Backbone
DDMWorks Pro-Beam

1987 Buick Grand National - the old dog still has some bite!
IronEagle119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Iron Eagle...is it a squeaking sound or a rubbing/growling sound? A number of members have had a problem with the fender liners warpoing or cracking and then rubbing on the tires when executing turns , especially at low speeds. Could be it.
California Dreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here is something else to take a look at since you hit. Might have loosened the bolts.

Torque Down Your Wheel Bearings!
GM Chicklets removed
Opel Antenna
Vauxhall Badges - Just for fun
2.4L w/Redline Dual Exhaust
wizardofflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was going to say wheel bearing
Old 06-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

It definitely is a metal on metal scraping sound. Wheel bearings was what I was leaning towards. Is this a small repair? I don't know jack about axles and wheel bearings. Also is this something that you think would have been caused by the rim taking a hit a few months back? If so, I'm gonna take it to the shop that did the repairs and have them torque the bearings. Also, is this something that should be greased and inspected much closer if it is starting to sound this way? I'm going to take it into the shop regardless, I just want to see if I can have this taken care of as part of the accident claim and hopefully have no out-of-pocket expense.

Hahn Intercooler
DDMWorks Backbone
DDMWorks Pro-Beam

Old 06-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

On my Solstice GXP I have vent tubes from the fog light grill to direct cool air onto the front brakes. I hear they can become dislodged and rub on the tire when turning. I assume the Redline has the same venting?
Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlange3 View Post
On my Solstice GXP I have vent tubes from the fog light grill to direct cool air onto the front brakes. I hear they can become dislodged and rub on the tire when turning. I assume the Redline has the same venting?
Thanks Tim, but this is not that. It is definitely a metal sound. I have an appointment at the dealership on Monday morning to have it checked out.

Hahn Intercooler
DDMWorks Backbone
DDMWorks Pro-Beam

Last edited by IronEagle119; 06-04-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Two other things to check:
-rotor rubbing on dust shield
-brake pad abutment clips rubbing on rotor
kudelt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Thanks for posting and please post when fix.
I wish you well.
LLLFLY
Best Interior 2012 NASSM
2nd American Legends 2013
DDMWORKS Loaded, Wind Restrictor
lllfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Question

I would have them thoroughly and I mean THOROUGHLY check the repairs that were done with the tie rod and check that whole right side area. I would have them REMOVE that front right tire completely and do an inspection looking for something not 'normal' OR worn out, or reinstalled incorrectly, or something that came loose after the last repairs.. Or even perhaps more damage that was missed..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

IronEagle119,

Since you have an appointment Monday, please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronEagle119 View Post
So guys I'm hoping someone can help me figure out a root cause on this issue. In just the past couple days I have started noticing a squeaking sound coming from the front passenger side wheel area.

This sound is a rotating sound that only happens when turning left, and is not constant. there is a break in the squeak at some point in the rotation and then starts again once it clears that spot.

In the winter I slid at 3-4 MPH into a curb when my wheels couldn't handle the slick snowy/icey road conditions. The shop had to replace the rim and a tie rod. I'm thinking this is directly related to this incident, but not certain what it could be.

I do not beleive it to be the brakes and the sound does not go away when I apply brake pressure. The sound is increasingly noticeable the sharper the turn I make. No sound when driving straight, turning right, or at high speeds the sound is also not noticeable.

Does this sound like a axle/bearing issue? Has anyone noticed an issue like this before? Also do you believe that this is directly related to the impact the passenger front rim took a few months back?

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
GM Customer Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Brakes. I had a similar sound on my '00 INtrigue and after finding slop in one wheel, figured at 160 they were both worn, I replaced both hubs, it needed brake pads, found a CV joint cover ripped, new struts...dang, I really got into the thing. Was all proud until I drove it, still squeaked around right turns.

Result: Brake rotors had a slight lip on them, and the wheel bearings are good but there is a bit of deflection. You probably need them turned a LITTLE bit or new rotors. You might even be able to take a 4.5" grinder with a flap wheel sander pad and take the edge off if someone can rotate the hub for you while you hit it.

I'd bet that's what it is.
'07 Custom Blue RL conversion, Auto (project - not running yet but working on it)
'06 Honda Odyessy EX-L minivan
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sorry for the delay in posting. I went to the dealership and had Maintenance II performed and had them check out the squeaking sound.

Problem: Brake dust shield was rubbing a little bit on the rotor.

Solution: Readjust the brake dust shield and the sound has went away. I'm very relieved it turned out to be a very simple solution.

Hahn Intercooler
DDMWorks Backbone
DDMWorks Pro-Beam

Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm glad it ended up being something very simple.

Also Caron from GM Customer Service, it is great to see you/GM keeping in contact with the customers at the places they go and not make them come to you. Social media is a great tool for both customers and businesses, there is much to be gained by GM from this.

Hahn Intercooler
DDMWorks Backbone
DDMWorks Pro-Beam

Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (13)
Members...take a look at your driver's side front wheel well...I had to take off my tire...and I found a large crack running down the well from the engine bolt...I don't drive my car hard...and some may say I don't drive it at all ..but I do have 25K and it is over 5 yrs old...so, to be on the warranty side of this problem...u know what u have to do.
marlboromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion