Stereo help - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Stereo help

Can anyone tell me what parts i would need to replace the factory head unit with a double din. I have a 08 base w/ the monsoon system with subwoofer.
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Go to Crutchfield and use the tools on their site to see what you need. Although they took good care of me when I bought my system you don't necessarily have to buy it there.

Car Stereos & Components at Crutchfield.com
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the same problem, I loved the stock monsoon system but sudden down pour + Top down = Bye bye stock head unit (well it works the display is just out).

I went to Crutchfield.com and bought a headunit JVC-AV50 (which is awesome). I installed with the wireharness kit and everything but when i turn it up it sounds HORRIBLE, same speakers only thing that changed was the headunit. But there is TONS of static/distortion and for come reason it just doesnt seem as loud or crisp as the stock radio DEFINITLY not as bassy.

I have verified that the Subwoofer is working all the speakers are working but it just isnt as good a sound as the stock radio was lots of distortion at high lvls. I have tried adjusting the highs/lows with the built in crossover but sounds BAD at high lvls, no where near as good as it did stock

QUESTION: What have i done wrong? Do I need to go full upgrade (speakers, sub, amp etc) or just go back to the stock radio and deal with no Clock and having to guess which track/station is playing?
Monsoon audio
Chrome Pedals
Leather seats

2001 Saturn SC2
Automatic
AEM Inake
Throttle Body
Tribal Flames (40HP!)
15' MTX 8500
Underbody neons
Riddla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddla View Post
I have the same problem, I loved the stock monsoon system but sudden down pour + Top down = Bye bye stock head unit (well it works the display is just out).

I went to Crutchfield.com and bought a headunit JVC-AV50 (which is awesome). I installed with the wireharness kit and everything but when i turn it up it sounds HORRIBLE, same speakers only thing that changed was the headunit. But there is TONS of static/distortion and for come reason it just doesnt seem as loud or crisp as the stock radio DEFINITLY not as bassy.

I have verified that the Subwoofer is working all the speakers are working but it just isnt as good a sound as the stock radio was lots of distortion at high lvls. I have tried adjusting the highs/lows with the built in crossover but sounds BAD at high lvls, no where near as good as it did stock

QUESTION: What have i done wrong? Do I need to go full upgrade (speakers, sub, amp etc) or just go back to the stock radio and deal with no Clock and having to guess which track/station is playing?
Probably a mismatch between the head unit and the stock Monsoon amp. The Monsoon amp uses balanced inputs (both wires for each channel swing 'high' and 'low' in opposite phase... no sound is when both wires are at mid voltage). Whereas most aftermarket pre-amp outputs are unbalanced (one wire stays at ground, the other, positive, wire swings between ground and +max).

If you just used a wiring/connector adapter you may need to try a transformer interface box. I would call up Crutchfield tech support and tell them your problem. They should be able to help.

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 10-23-2012 at 02:38 PM.
TomatoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just got off the phone with crutchfieild they said that the system needs to be installed with the Axxess GMOS-LAN-04 (which is what i used) I went over every wire connection (great cust svc btw) and they said it is installed properly

I still dont understand why its not as loud as the stock radio and sounds so crappy at high lvls its the same speakers. Does anyone know what the specs for the monsoon system are?

Does the factory amp power just the sub or all the speakers?

would removing/upgrading the amp fix the problem?
Monsoon audio
Chrome Pedals
Leather seats

2001 Saturn SC2
Automatic
AEM Inake
Throttle Body
Tribal Flames (40HP!)
15' MTX 8500
Underbody neons
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Just got off the phone with crutchfieild they said that the system needs to be installed with the Axxess GMOS-LAN-04 (which is what i used) I went over every wire connection (great cust svc btw) and they said it is installed properly

I still dont understand why its not as loud as the stock radio and sounds so crappy at high lvls its the same speakers. Does anyone know what the specs for the monsoon system are?

Does the factory amp power just the sub or all the speakers?

would removing/upgrading the amp fix the problem?
Your setup should work just fine, many others have done this (example: Attempting AvicF900bt install). I'm thinking maybe either your radio or the GMOS interface box is faulty. I would get back to Crutchfield and discuss some more, maybe they can help debug/replace the faulty item.

The Monsoon amp drives all 7 speakers individually (incl the sub). I doubt that replacing the amp would fix your problems given my theory above.

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 10-23-2012 at 05:45 PM.
TomatoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I fixed the problem had to adjust the HPF and LPF in the head unit, sounds good now. I did have one question you said 7 speakers??? I count 2 tweeters 2 door, and a Sub, are there 2 more speakers i dont know about?!?
Monsoon audio
Chrome Pedals
Leather seats

2001 Saturn SC2
Automatic
AEM Inake
Throttle Body
Tribal Flames (40HP!)
15' MTX 8500
Underbody neons
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I fixed the problem had to adjust the HPF and LPF in the head unit, sounds good now. I did have one question you said 7 speakers??? I count 2 tweeters 2 door, and a Sub, are there 2 more speakers i dont know about?!?
Check behind the seats!
DDM backbone (street), probeam, Venom brace, charge tubes, OCC
Sequential turn signals, pulsing third brake light
Kapparack, Opel GT rear fog
Norm's rear fascia
DDM console cover
SkyKing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

lol didnt know about the 3.5s there. Does anyone know what the RMS/Peak on the stock 3.5's is? Im trying to decide if i should replace them when i add an amp and replace my sub
Monsoon audio
Chrome Pedals
Leather seats

2001 Saturn SC2
Automatic
AEM Inake
Throttle Body
Tribal Flames (40HP!)
15' MTX 8500
Underbody neons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion