Saturn Sky Forum banner

Sticky door on the waterfall storage compartment

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jbc104 
#1 ·
When trying to open the waterfall storage compartment on my new (replacement) Sky...it opens painfully slowly.

When I press the button it takes almost 10 seconds for the knob to slowly come out so that it can be turned.

My previous Sky did this a little, but it is much worse on this one.

Any recommendations on how to lube it? Will WD-40 make it better or worse?

#5 ·
Mine does it some. Lack of use, but it could some sort of spilled residue from a cup in the center cup holder of soda/sugar got in there from the previous owner? This is like those self closing kitchen drawer cabinets, the soft close ones, that your 5 year old is always slamming the piss out of it, only in reverse.

W/D 40 ah.. no. Clean it the best you can first. Then maybe a lite coat of petroleum jelly. It won't drip or stain your interior when your not around. Ah the dreaded after the fact clean up. A non peramgrin moment imo. W/D 40 smells, you want that smell in your interior, when the top is up?

LAC

#6 ·
Were it mine, I would first clean it thoroughly. As stated above, it may be contaminated internally.

Put a good towel around the lock and flush it out with windex or equivalent. Use a soft brush to work around the out side of the button and make sure you are getting the liquid solvent into the mechanism. Catch overflow on the towel.

Operate the button while its well soaked to help ensure full flushing. :)

I have no problem with WD 40 and as to any residual smell, its a great smell. Kind of like electronic perfume. But not overwhelming by any means. Again in my humble opinion.

I would not use Vaseline. Its a petroleum based lubricant that will tend to attract contaminates and can potentially exacerbate the issue. Plus it reminds me of when my mother was treating me for one childhood disease or another. Ugh. Give me the WD any time.

If it is still not free working after the flushing / washing then try some light spray lubricant that will penetrate the spaces .

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. To avoid disclosing its composition, the product was not patented in 1953, and the window of opportunity for patenting it has long since closed.[4] WD-40's main ingredients as supplied in aerosol cans, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:
50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website claims this ratio in the current formulation cannot accurately be described as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons.[7]
<25% petroleum base oil. Presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.
12–18% low vapor pressure aliphatic hydrocarbon. Reduces the liquid's viscosity so that it can be used in aerosols. The hydrocarbon evaporates during application.
2–3% carbon dioxide. A propellant which is now used instead of the original liquefied petroleum gas to reduce WD-40's flammability.
<10% inert ingredients.

#9 ·
RoBTE and TS I agree with both of you on this. After rethinking this, maybe the Vaseline thing was a poor choice on my part. It will collect dust dirt and could make it worse not better. Silicone I feel is a better option, imho. I rarely go into that glove box anyway.

" Its a great smell, sort of like electronic perfume " I wouldn't go that far... maybe in the engine bay, or the under carriage. IF it's going to "smell" like perfume, in my interior, it better be attached to a pair of long legs, in a short skirt, imho!!! After cleaning the carpet, the plastic, the leather, the windows, rolling up the windows and closing up the top, the air freshner is over whelmed by it all. Add in something from your rear hind quarters to add to those smells, no wonder we can take the roof off this sucker, not that the air outside of our interior is much better. Looking outside my window, there are cows bout 200 ft. away, doing their version of a perfume moment. Stick some of that in your interior, still feel the same way about W/D 40 ? lol

It's just slow. Think it was designed that way, or its just another cheap parts bin add on? I have a little soda spill on my carpet, near the imfamous passenger cup holder, from the previous owner, that I have cleaned many times over. I think it might have gunk build up on it, but I open mine maybe once every 3 months or so. No big deal. I say rip it out, stick an extra 5 inch tweeter in the space and be done with it.

LAC

#10 ·
On my previous Sky, I had a painfully slow latch pull. I used a LITTLE silicone spray and "worked it". Worked much better, but still was not as quickly as I wanted.
On my current Sky, I cannot get the pull button to stay closed.I push it in, but it comes back out..... ironically very quickly!
Does anyone have a fix for compartment button that will not stay retracted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.