Saturn Sky Forum banner

Tow Hook

10K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  JohnWR 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed one on their Kappa...
I do know that the Opel GT has a section to insert a tow pin bolt but our SKY didn't come with that feature (Don't know why not!)... Would love to see a picture of the Opel GT tow hook supporting main structure.
I don't see or find a strong structure without the use of welding in order to install a tow hook. Any ideas on installing a tow hook on our cars :confused:

#5 · (Edited)
You need to order a Opel GT bumper brace and the tow loop kit or modify you stock bumper by welding on a block of aluminum with a threaded hole to turn in the tow loop.

The Opel bumper is a little longer on the passenger side where the tow hook screws in to the bumper block.

See pictures

--Christian

#14 ·
Rob thanks for your input. That is the area I was thinking of installing the hook.
The sky owners are lucky that no part of the bumper needs to be cut. The hook can come out through the lower grill just above the brake cooling duct (Turbo Version) on the passenger side. Very little cutting would be needed on the lower grill..
There are two existing bolts on a welded extension of the crossmember in that location and it seems like an easy job to fabricate (with very little extra support)... I think we are getting somewhere close to a mod... :thumbs:

#12 · (Edited)
I've questioned John Powell (Powell Race Shop) about this same question as i want to add a tow hook for my sky. Here's his response:

rear cobalt hook plate will work, the crash bar is alloy, we can supply a nut plate with the tow hook to make it easier to install. There are three holes in our tow hook plate, but two bolts only will be sufficient.
The stock grille will require notching to permit the plate to extend through the grille; one half inch spacer, supplied, will space the plate down sufficiently to clear the front fascia and the rubber close out strip for the radiator.
The alloy crash bar is open each end; I suggest with all two hook installations, to offset to the “curb side” passenger side of the car, to make it safer to hook up if stuck on the side of the road.

There is enough room, to fish the nut plate through the bumper beam with a coat hanger or a magnet with an extension.

So procedure would be:
remove plastic grille.
Offer up tow hook mounting plate in desired location.
Mark two holes on bumper beam; the rubber close out strip will have to be moved out of the way to do this I believe.
Drill two holes, I use a uni bit but the alloy is quite soft; 3/8 bolts are provided so slightly more than that (7/16) is probably good to accommodate some movement when installing. Measure twice drill once lol
A right angle drill would be easiest. I think a cordless will fit in there easily enough as well.
Then fish the nut plate through the bumper, secure the plate to the bumper with the spacer and hardware supplied engaging the nut plate.
Trim the plastic grille to re install over the plate and secure.
Then mount the hook with the cross pin (stainless cap screw and nyloc hardware supplied, or optional quick disconnect pin) to the plate.

Admire your handiwork.

Cheers

Our hooks cost 99.00 for the front, 139.95 for front and rear, but rear would require some cutting of the fascia to install I am thickening.

Powdercoat regulation Red is our standard hook color, we have a variety of different colors in stock. The only option is a quick release pin, 20.00.
The result is a functional tow hook that looks also looks great.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#17 · (Edited)
Is there a way to install two lg nuts under car
one on ea side. For tow eye bolts to scew into only
when needed?
Eye bolts would hang down. So the hooks would
hook into.
LLLFLY

#23 · (Edited)
I must be getting old, I need to pay more attention to what is posted.
But I would like to have one of those neat trailers to tow then be towed any day.

#24 ·
bob: Opel's left the factory with a tow hook in the front. This was for over seas shipping.
Just for the record, the tow hook is not for over-seas shipping, and one in that location wouldn't work for that anyway.

All motor vehicles sold in the European market are required to have a tow hook fitted to the front for use with a tow bar or rope.

#26 ·
MARVIC 1 : Thanks JR for the input.. Why is it mandatory to have the tow hook installed on all European cars?
Probably for the same reason that any safety device is mandated: Someone thought it was needed, and convinced the rule-making organization that it should be made a law.

The idea in this case is that an accessible attachment point on the front of a vehicle makes it safer for a tow-truck driver to recover a stuck or disabled vehicle. Certainly, screwing an eye into a socket in a car's grill is better than crawling underneath it to attach something to the chassis. Especially at night, in the rain, on a busy road.

A non-safety benefit is that it also reduces damage to air dams and other bodywork, given that there isn't much exposed chassis to attach to, and a tow rope is going to have to go over or around something relatively delicate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.