Trifecta oh holy crap! - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Looks like the Audi is putting out ~8.2 lbs./hp and your at ~8.9 lbs./hp. Of course the Audi runs about $110,000 so... I think you will surprise a lot of cars out there (at the race track of course).

Did you have the GMPP tune before you went with the Trifecta? I'm really itching to pull th trigger on this tune but I also want to see how the BNR upgrade does!

Hers - '08 Bluestone Redline. GMPP tune, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone, debadged (mostly). FOR SALE
roadstersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Send a message via AIM to compdoc777 Send a message via Yahoo to compdoc777
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstersol View Post
Looks like the Audi is putting out ~8.2 lbs./hp and your at ~8.9 lbs./hp. Of course the Audi runs about $110,000 so... I think you will surprise a lot of cars out there (at the race track of course).

Did you have the GMPP tune before you went with the Trifecta? I'm really itching to pull th trigger on this tune but I also want to see how the BNR upgrade does!
No I just had the BSR tune then upgraded to Trifecta so I still have the stock equipment the GMPP replaces. I think they just move the car up to a 3 bar map instead of a 2 bar.

I think 2 bar is good to 27 Psi and I am only running 22 psi. I would not need that until I am pushing more psi. I think my Hahn IC is lowering my PSI though and performing better cooling function than the stock IC.

After getting on this thing a few times I realize that I need better brakes and suspension. Even the DDM I have in the front now are not strong enough maybe front and back DDM's would be better 50/50 split, because this car can pick up speed quick. Also the power of the engine can toss the suspension around like butter as well. Needs Coil-overs and tighter maybe thicker sways. Then some more meat on the tires in the back. Oh, an new performance clutch and flywheel. This Trifecta tune will chew right through a clutch. On the dyno you could smell the clutch burn on a 4th gear pull good thing I only have 5K miles on the car which is almost a new clutch. I will have to save for a long time for these upgrades.
  • Dejon IC pipes
  • Hahn IC
  • 3" Magnaflow Quad Exhaust
  • DDM BBK (RED)

Last edited by compdoc777; 11-06-2010 at 02:35 PM.
compdoc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yikes! I got ~45K on mine. I have the thicker anti-sway bars and slightly wider tires but new tires with better grip would be nice.

Hers - '08 Bluestone Redline. GMPP tune, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone, debadged (mostly). FOR SALE
roadstersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElvis View Post
I didn't know any better and got an automatic Red-Line. What could I expect from a Trifecta Tune vs. a GMR Tune? With the GMR I am getting about 235 whp on the dyno.
can someone knowledgeable answer my question please
JimElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElvis View Post
can someone knowledgeable answer my question please
Why don't you contact Vince at Trifecta. If anyone will be collecting stats, he will.
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Some of the Trifecta tunes are only invoked when switches are in certain setting. The usual are the TC switch, which in Competition mode can trigger the tune, or the cruise control.

You can also have them on all the time if you ask for them that way.
That is pretty clever. I like that a lot actually.

2007 Sky Red Line 5-Speed - 79k - Light mods

2006 Saturn Vue 5-Speed - 103.4k
Koobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
I'm looking into a Trifecta tune. (I am currently talking to Vince via email.) It's difficult to understand what I'll get with a Trifecta (canned or custom) on my stock Red Line, since most tuners already have modes.

Is there any difference to having the Trifecta tune after a GM tune is already installed?

@compdoc777 I presume you have the full custom tune. What is the Competition mode?

P.S. Breaking grip in 3rd is very impressive... Wow.
JasonDoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
GT!

My Photos: (2)
If you want more power (a lot more) and aren't planning to do any other mods then you can't go wrong with the canned Trifecta tune (also known as budget tune). It's the best $200 performance mod you can do for your car.

You can read about competition mode in the Sky owner's manual. It's basically a setting that turns off some of the electronic nannies (traction control, stability control, etc.). With the Trifecta tune you can choose to use this mode to enable/disable the tune, but most people go with the cruise control button).

-GT
GT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

The basic tune is just that - a tune Vince has judged to be safe for stock all engines and it comes with no follow up. The more expensive tune is sent to you as a basic tune, you then do a data capture to see what it is doing on your specific car, email it back to Vince, he tweaks it, sends it back and repeat until you have the maximum your engine can handle safely all at no further charge.

The competition mode simply refers to what switch turns the Trifecta tune on (in this case the traction control button). The other common one to use is the cruise control.

When it is turned off, whatever you had in place before is back in control, so if you already had the GMPP tune, that's what will operate. The GMPP gives you 30 BHP and a ton of torque and the Trifecta tune gives you about 70 BHP (over dead stock tune, in other words 40 more than GMPP) and also more torque. Everyone that has reported back says it is tremendous bang for the bucks.

If you are not doing anything else to the engine, the basic Trifecta will probably do it for you. Even if you change intake piping, intercooler piping, exhaust and CAT, no additional special custom tuning is necessary. If you went to a bigger turbo, you'd need custom tuning and the more expensive version would be mandatory.
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Wow, thanks for the incredibly detailed answers guys. It is much appreciated. I won't be modding anything except for implementing a tune. Looks like the budget/canned tune is great for me.

One last question:

If GMPP gives +30hp and +80ft-lb, and Trifecta gives +70hp... what does it give for torque? About 80ft-lb? Or more? Or perhaps less? Just curious.
JasonDoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Is this whole thread about the E-85 tune or the 93 octane tune?
premlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
The basic tune is just that - a tune Vince has judged to be safe for stock all engines and it comes with no follow up. The more expensive tune is sent to you as a basic tune, you then do a data capture to see what it is doing on your specific car, email it back to Vince, he tweaks it, sends it back and repeat until you have the maximum your engine can handle safely all at no further charge.

The competition mode simply refers to what switch turns the Trifecta tune on (in this case the traction control button). The other common one to use is the cruise control.

When it is turned off, whatever you had in place before is back in control, so if you already had the GMPP tune, that's what will operate. The GMPP gives you 30 BHP and a ton of torque and the Trifecta tune gives you about 70 BHP (over dead stock tune, in other words 40 more than GMPP) and also more torque. Everyone that has reported back says it is tremendous bang for the bucks.

If you are not doing anything else to the engine, the basic Trifecta will probably do it for you. Even if you change intake piping, intercooler piping, exhaust and CAT, no additional special custom tuning is necessary. If you went to a bigger turbo, you'd need custom tuning and the more expensive version would be mandatory.
Basic Trifecta tune, what's the difference in power compared to the GMPP-Tune?
MARVIC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #28 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVIC 1 View Post
Basic Trifecta tune, what's the difference in power compared to the GMPP-Tune?
If you believe the dyno, 290 for the GMPP versus ~330 to 340 for the Trifecta at the crank (depending on the parasitic drive train loss)..

Last edited by Sky_Pilot; 02-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Sky_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
If you believe the dyno, 290 for the GMPP versus ~330 to 340 for the Trifecta at the crank (depending on the parasitic drive train loss)..
OK then, everyone that got a Trifecta tune should of have gotten the Basic Trifecta tune unless they are changing over to a bigger Turbo like wspohn mentioned below?
MARVIC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVIC 1 View Post
OK then, everyone that got a Trifecta tune should of have gotten the Basic Trifecta tune unless they are changing over to a bigger Turbo like wspohn mentioned below?
That would be correct.
Sky_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion