Saturn Sky Forum banner

Trunk Lid

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  tompass 
#1 ·
Just noticed a small dimple in center of trunk lid near back window likely caused by a too aggressive closing of lid. Calling a paintless dent guy but would like to give him a heads up on dropping the acoustic liner beneath the lid. He will likely have to get his tool into the area where the dimple is. Can he just pull down on liner? Will the plastic clips be able to be pushed back in after the repair to secure the liner to lid?

#5 ·
I went out and dropped the liner as suggested but bad news is that there is no way to get behind the ding from underneath which is usually necessary to get good results. It is about inch or so from leading edge of trunk lid just behind the rear window. Directly below is welded braces with no openings that would allow access. May just have to live with it. Very slight and no one else would notice but I do... Can not even see it in pic but is just in area of where you see the finger print.
Water Line Roof Wood

#8 ·
I went out and dropped the liner as suggested but bad news is that there is no way to get behind the ding from underneath which is usually necessary to get good results. It is about inch or so from leading edge of trunk lid just behind the rear window. Directly below is welded braces with no openings that would allow access. May just have to live with it. Very slight and no one else would notice but I do... Can not even see it in pic but is just in area of where you see the finger print.
View attachment 85154
They have a way to do it with suction cups and some special glue they can remove without a trace.

#7 ·
Here is a little report from my trunk lid. I have two small defects, one is below the spoiler. Small depression on the lip, by the seam of the rear bumper. The other one is an upward bump on the top bumper, near the spoiler again. Not sure why or how they happened ( from the first owner).

Now as for the repair of this, I did see on TV on Velocity/Iron Resurection that one of the guys they called in, to make this type of repair used tools for a hood repair. IF the access to it, or lack there of, maybe a suction cup might pull up on it just enough for your satisfaction? Yes you can pop off the plastic plugs used to hold the trunk liner in place. Be careful, their plastic after all. Those items can be replaced very cheaply if need be. I have undone my trunk liner couple of times. once for a leak on the base of the On Star antenna. The other problem was the spoiler was loose, and the hose cover that protects the wires was always coming undone. Replace two missing nuts, to the bolts in the spoiler. Tighten all the nuts on the spoiler matter of fact. Not something you check for on an everyday basis. I also have a nice scrape near the middle of the trunk, near the back window, from what looks like a snow scraper. I live with it. Trunk hinge was replaced just recently. Works better now, even when I bought it, it never really work good without sticking or rubbing against the rear bumper lip. These are the small issues that ever car/truck owner goes through. Unless it is really that noticeble to you the owner or someone else says something I would let it ride for now. Most of us, are anal when it comes to something like this. I once took a chestnut hit to my front hood, while at a buddy of mine's house. Left a nice little ding in my hood. Pissed me off big time, but what you gonna do. Sh*t happens, comes with the territory I guess.

You could have your cars body gone over by the best guys in the business when comes to this stuff. Think Chip Foose here, and they could work on it for a month, to get out those things, even then you get it home after all that, and you the owner finds another one that catches your eye. All is perfect until a chestnut hits your hood. You could protect your car with military grade amour, and it still will piss you off when the next new thing appears on your paint or body. Hate that sh*t, but it is what it is. My other PITA is the stitching on the buttress panel flaps. Seems I am always going out there to repair it, most after a top down cruise. Is it folding just right when it does go down into the trunk? Never sure, but when I unfold it and secure it, there is also a new section that requires my attention to it. Top and the threads or seam stitching is getting old, like the rest of us are.

LAC

#9 ·
Well had a tech from Colors On Parade, a National network, show up this AM and he got the job done. Did use the glue technique for most part but was also able to work a small flat tool through the circular opening in under trunk lid brace to complete the job. And yep, while he was working on that dent I sure enough did find a another one! Did both for $60. Gave him a big tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.